Murano on your own

How easy/hard is it to get to Murano on your own? I'd like to do the glass shops but want to do my own thing -- not take a ship's tour. That said, I want to make sure that I don't miss the boat, literally.

Several of the water buses (vaporetto) go there. These include 41, 42, DM (direct service from P. Roma and the train station), 5 (almost direct service from P. San Marco) and a couple of others.

If you are looking for deals, you wont find them on Murano. I don't really think you will find a better selection there, either. But, if you want to go, there really is no reason not to do it yourself.

My neighbour said there is a clearance room at the factory store in Murano. Apparently some items may have a small flaw but she said not enough for most people to notice. However, be prepared to spend hundreds on a single item. She was there three or four years ago and bought a really beautiful rooster about six inches high and it was over $400. It's really impressive.

I bought a silver chain necklace with a single clear crystal eight years ago at a Murano show room in Venice for $50. We had a glass blowing demonstration right there. The store is really close to San Marco square. That day they were pushing a set of a hand-painted pitcher that came with small glasses for $500. They can ship your purchase home. We were on a bus tour and told to watch out for fake Murano glass but I wouldn't know how.

This time we'll take the vaporetta to Murano, just 'cause! I'm sure it will be a highlight of our cruise.

In Oct '08 we caught the vaporetto right at San Marco and went to Murano. There are two stops on Murano, we got off at the first one, and immediately there were people pointing out the way to the factory. We saw a glass demonstration. One guy made a vase, then another guy made a horse (maybe 4 inches tall) it was truly amazing to watch the skill.

I looked in their shop, but they wanted to much for everything (50 EUR for the small horse). We walked along and looked at some of the shops, but they were all in the same price range $$$$. We then sat at a small pizzeria and had pizza (the pizza was 6 EUR, but the coke was also 6 EUR and 5 EUR to sit) so we paid 17 EUR for lunch. Didn't do that again! It started to pour so we ran to the vaporetto stop and headed back to San Marco. The water was pretty choppy by then.

Then later that evening, we had a tour booked and was to meet at Rialto Bridge. There are so many shops lining both sides of the Bridge. That's where I found my little blue horse for 15 EUR. I probably still paid too much, but I wanted one, so I was willing to pay it. It has a sticker that says it is Murano glass, but I have no way of knowing if it really is.

We had purchased a vaporetto pass when we got off the ship, and used it a lot for our two days post-cruise stay in Venice. I did book a ghost-walking tour (my friend loves ghost stories) and another walking tour that included a gondola ride through Viator, not the ship. The rest of Venice, we did on our own. It's easy to do.

Have a great trip!

The vaporetti also go on from Murano to Torcello, which is the most wonderful place. There is an old church there with incredible mosaic floors, and the Locanda Cipriani which is a rustic looking inn where they serve amazing food. I would skip the glass works on Murano altogether - very touristy and not great design anyway - and head for Torcello!

The vaporetti also go on from Murano to Torcello, which is the most wonderful place. There is an old church there with incredible mosaic floors, and the Locanda Cipriani which is a rustic looking inn where they serve amazing food. I would skip the glass works on Murano altogether - very touristy and not great design anyway - and head for Torcello!

Agree. I would much rather spend my time on Torcello, but ..

Not all the vapos go to Torcello. Check the routing or you might be disappointed.

I have been to Murano a few times over the last 5 years and I feel the prices are less expensive in Venice proper. I have bought items both in Murano and Venice. With that said, if you see an interesting piece I would buy it. If you are in Venice for many days, it might be worth the time to bounce back and forth between the islands.

There is a small shop next to the Rialto bridge called "Rubys". We bought a chandelier there and had it sent home. Off all of the places in Venice for chandeliers this was by far the least expensive, good quality and most of all what my DW wanted.

Good luck.

Archived