Rum......

newbieMom

How many bottles can we bring back? Tortuga makes so may flavors, and then there's that other brand that I read is great but I can't even make myself type out the name:o I'd love to bring it back for gifts, but if we're very limited, we'll keep it all for ourselves!:cool:

Each state has a differing quantity of liquor you're allowed to bring back.

In Texas, we're limited to one liter per person... MAJOR bummer. However, when sailing from a port other than one in Texas the customs folks don't seem to care what the state says I can have... as long as it doesn't violate any of the laws for the state I debark in!

I brought back five bottle of liquor when I sailed from Tampa and four bottles when I sailed from Port Everglades!!

:)

How many bottles can we bring back? Tortuga makes so may flavors, and then there's that other brand that I read is great but I can't even make myself type out the name:o I'd love to bring it back for gifts, but if we're very limited, we'll keep it all for ourselves!:cool:

for other than the state limitations as in Texas, You can bring back pretty much as much as you want - it's the question of Customs Duty that you (might) have to pay on the extra bottles. Somewhere the carnival site has the customs rules. Generally I think it's one bottle Duty Free per adult. I know it's 2 bottles in Bahamas, if one is bottled in Bahamas. If you buy extra bottles you have to Declare them on your customs form, and technically you have to attend the morning of debarkation meeting with customs agents, at which time they probably won't charge you the extra duty as being too small to worry about. Check http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Duty_Free_Allowance.aspx. ken

I always bring back 5 or 6 bottles of rum and have never been charged any duty. It is totaly up to the agent that you have contact with. I declare whatever I have and they never bat an eyebrow. One of these days they may nail me with some extra duty but has not happened yet. I think that it is more trouble than it is worth to them.

So how does the rum get onto the ship? I seem to remember the store we bought Kalhua from on our honeymoon had it delivered directly to the ship, but I don't remember how/when we got it to pack in our luggage? Also, if we bring back 5 or 6 bottles or so, the only risk we have is just having to pay some tax on it, not risk losing the bottles?

So how does the rum get onto the ship? I seem to remember the store we bought Kalhua from on our honeymoon had it delivered directly to the ship, but I don't remember how/when we got it to pack in our luggage? Also, if we bring back 5 or 6 bottles or so, the only risk we have is just having to pay some tax on it, not risk losing the bottles?

Some stores still offer this service, such as aa riise in St. Thomas. Otherwise, they will pack it up for you, but be aware you cannot carry on in aircraft.

Depending on where you get it, you may be able to bring back 6 bottles duty free. (St Thomas is one example)

Otherwise, you may or may not have to pay duty on your purchases.

My personal advice is quality over quantity. Pick yourself up a couple of bottles of great rum for yourself, and buy T-shirts for the gifts.:D

Anybody ever have big black Dick's?

I brought 16 bottles through NYC Custom a couple of years ago, mostly rum which I collect like other people collect wine. If you're going for the flavored rums I prefer Cruzan as it's nice a light and mixes well and comes in many flavors and is also a product of the US Virgin Islands so (I believe) you aren't limited to one liter per person -- and it's rather aggressively priced to break into the market. I make a mean coconut mojito with that stuff. I'm a Captain Morgan kinda girl (hmmm ... It's feeling like a private stock kinda night), though like a nice Bacardi or a local rum if I can get my hands on it. I've tried Big Black Dick's ... it was okay, the name was more impressive than the rum itself. Jack Iron seems like the type of stuff that will make me go blind, as it's an overproof.

The trick is to wrap the bottles up in your dirties and make sure they aren't too close to the sides should something happen. I've flown with 8 bottles in the dirty bag no problem. I usually mention to whoever is handling my bags that I have "crystal" in there and hope they don't notice it's sloshing.

Each state has a differing quantity of liquor you're allowed to bring back.

In Texas, we're limited to one liter per person... MAJOR bummer. However, when sailing from a port other than one in Texas the customs folks don't seem to care what the state says I can have... as long as it doesn't violate any of the laws for the state I debark in!

I brought back five bottle of liquor when I sailed from Tampa and four bottles when I sailed from Port Everglades!!

:)

I just got 4 liters back on the Ecstasy. I figured that since the 1 liter per resident is a state law, and there's no TABC at the pier, only Federal customs, we wouldn't have any issues. Customs officers only care about federal laws. The guy who cleared us even said to us, "For future reference, you're allowed to bring in 1 liter per person without paying taxes on it."

I agree with everyone else-1 liter per person duty free. We absolutely love Tortuga Vanilla Rum and it is not available here in the states yet. We asked about getting a case and was told that at that point customs can make a decision if they want to make us show them documentation for it since it could be considered resale.

When we have bought at Tortuga, they always just package it up and send it to the ship and it gets delivered on the last night with the other alcohol bought.

Don't know if you are aware or not......at the Tortuga rum factory in Cayman, you can sample all of the different rums. Yummmm, Rummmm :)

I brought 16 bottles through NYC Custom a couple of years ago, mostly rum which I collect like other people collect wine. If you're going for the flavored rums I prefer Cruzan as it's nice a light and mixes well and comes in many flavors and is also a product of the US Virgin Islands so (I believe) you aren't limited to one liter per person -- and it's rather aggressively priced to break into the market. I make a mean coconut mojito with that stuff. I'm a Captain Morgan kinda girl (hmmm ... It's feeling like a private stock kinda night), though like a nice Bacardi or a local rum if I can get my hands on it. I've tried Big Black Dick's ... it was okay, the name was more impressive than the rum itself. Jack Iron seems like the type of stuff that will make me go blind, as it's an overproof.

The trick is to wrap the bottles up in your dirties and make sure they aren't too close to the sides should something happen. I've flown with 8 bottles in the dirty bag no problem. I usually mention to whoever is handling my bags that I have "crystal" in there and hope they don't notice it's sloshing.

I would not recommend this approach, but looks like it worked for you. Although it is rare, failure to accurately report all items you are bringing back can result in at least seizure of the property, and could even result in criminal prosection.:eek:

I always declare everything, even if I am over. I have never had to pay duty on the extra nor have they confiscated it. It is just not worth their time for the amount of paperwork involved.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Big Black Dick rum! Do they still make the coconut? It was amazing but we couldn't find it anywhere in Grand Cayman when we were there in September. :(

The store has a huge sign out front, and is near the tender dock. I really like the dark rum under "that" brand.:o

We sail from florida ports and if you are over your limit US CUSTOMS can and will charge you duty on the overage, that being said if you are in single digits 1-9 bottles they usually do not charge duty. I have had to pay duty on several occasions. It is based on proof or liquor and differs on alcohol content , most rums are 2.00 or less per bottle.

Do not try to hide it. My friends did just that and it was not nice , worked out okay in the end , but they were warned that they could face criminal charges for hiding merchandise . They had to go get their luggage , go back to customs and to a room where they searched through all their luggage.

So can I pack it in my checked baggage for flying and just tell the customs people that I have 4 or 5 bottles packed away for the flight? I don't want to sneak anything if the only risk I face is paying a little duty, I just want to get it on the plane and to my house in one piece:) I'm sure I'll need to poor some when I get home to soften the post-cruise depression :(

We sail from florida ports and if you are over your limit US CUSTOMS can and will charge you duty on the overage, that being said if you are in single digits 1-9 bottles they usually do not charge duty. I have had to pay duty on several occasions. It is based on proof or liquor and differs on alcohol content , most rums are 2.00 or less per bottle.

Do not try to hide it. My friends did just that and it was not nice , worked out okay in the end , but they were warned that they could face criminal charges for hiding merchandise . They had to go get their luggage , go back to customs and to a room where they searched through all their luggage.

Yeah, they probably would not prosecute in most cases, but I'd hate to be made an example of.

So can I pack it in my checked baggage for flying and just tell the customs people that I have 4 or 5 bottles packed away for the flight? I don't want to sneak anything if the only risk I face is paying a little duty, I just want to get it on the plane and to my house in one piece:) I'm sure I'll need to poor some when I get home to soften the post-cruise depression :(

Yes, just declare the bottles on the back of the form and you are all set.

cf6059b_5fback.jpg

I don’t think it has anything to do with the state, it’s a Federal tax. I brought back six bottles this past January and I was good. The man in front of me had eleven bottles and he had to pay twenty seven dollars.

The cut off seemed to be right at the 6 or 7 bottle mark with this Customs Officer.

But like one poster said, it depends on the customs officer and each one enforces the law differently.

I will say this tho, to claim it you got to get up early, they wanted us down there at 6:30 in the morning and they don’t except anything but cash.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the state, it’s a Federal tax. I brought back six bottles this past January and I was good. The man in front of me had eleven bottles and he had to pay twenty seven dollars.

The cut off seemed to be right at the 6 or 7 bottle mark with this Customs Officer.

But like one poster said, it depends on the customs officer and each one enforces the law differently.

I will say this tho, to claim it you got to get up early, they wanted us down there at 6:30 in the morning and they don’t except anything but cash.

Not sure about the other states, but Texas does have some funky liquor laws, as the previous poster stated. If you are sailing out of Texas, it would be wise to check first.

My personal advice is quality over quantity. Pick yourself up a couple of bottles of great rum for yourself, and buy T-shirts for the gifts.:D

Anybody ever have big black Dick's?

There ya go - nothing beats a backpack and a couple beach towels.

Excuse me?

I would not recommend this approach, but looks like it worked for you. Although it is rare, failure to accurately report all items you are bringing back can result in at least seizure of the property, and could even result in criminal prosection.:eek:

I always declare everything, even if I am over. I have never had to pay duty on the extra nor have they confiscated it. It is just not worth their time for the amount of paperwork involved.

I don't. And in my experience, the worst that can happen with booze is that they make you pay the duty on it. The one time I did declare I was over the limit, the border guard looked at me and told me I didn't look stupid so why would I go and say something stupid like that. ;) To each their own. Some folks are willing to take their chances smuggling booze off, others are willing to take their chances smuggling booze off.

Archived