Swine Flu in Mexico, is it safe to go. (Merged Threads)

AuntMimi

My Aunt is on the Sapphire this week and just emailed me that all her Ports were canceled and they are just floating around all week. That really sucks. Damn pigs.

Oh No! These message boards are going to be 'hot' soon with those booked for upcoming sailings, and onboard this cruise. Many don't enjoy lots of sea days and there are going to be some very upset passengers, to say the least. Ouch! Definitely not the news many wanted to hear, but thanks for passing along the info you received in the email from your Aunt. :(

Just looked at the bridgecam on the Sapphire: states enroute to San Diego, CA! About 10 minutes age it said enroute to Puerto Vallarta. I think this is a bad sign for our May 2 cruise "to Mexico". I am glued to my computer.

Crap, yeah your right it does, not good.

But you did raise a point in a previous post that I would like to comment on.

You thanked everyone for allowing you to vent.

I am reading the Carnival thread as well and at points it is turning into a small war, I am happy to see that that is not happening over here and I can only hope that it stays that way icon14.gif

Just looked at the bridgecam on the Sapphire: states enroute to San Diego, CA! About 10 minutes age it said enroute to Puerto Vallarta. I think this is a bad sign for our May 2 cruise "to Mexico". I am glued to my computer.

Yea, they are going to go to San Diego today and then I think Catalina. She said people are not thrilled with this. Cant blame them but what can you do? I guess Id rather go there then sit on the boat all week

EDIT: heres what I just got

new itinierary: today - at sea

tomorrow, wed - encinatas (service stop only at night -- no one gets off)

thursday - san diego

friday - catalina

i am about to cry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, indeed. Princess Sapphire is enroute to San Diego at this moment. I was on Sapphire 2 weeks ago. At this time (9:00AM) ship time they should be in the port of Puerto Vallarta. Therefore, I do now believe that the folks on the Sapphire this week will be floating around the Baja Pen. Next week may be the same or may be headed to Vancouver BC. Sapphire is suppossed to be going on the North Pacific Coast in 2 weeks anyway.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

To quote in part:

"Carrier visits a large number of ports in numerous countries around the world. At any given moment there are likely to be “trouble spots” in the world in terms of war, terrorism, crime, Act of God, civil commotions, labor trouble, and/or other potential sources of harm. Local conditions and infrastructure may also create hazards to Passengers while off the ship. Accordingly, it may be necessary to change, cancel or terminate the scheduled cruise or any activities related to the cruise, including without limitation shore excursions and port visits."

And

"8. RIGHT TO DEVIATE FROM ROUTE, CANCEL ACTIVITIES AND CHANGE OR OMIT PORTS OF CALL.

Except as otherwise provided herein, Carrier may, for any reason, without notice or liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit:

• (A) Deviate from the scheduled ports of call, route and timetable;
  • (B) Call or omit to call at any port or place or cancel or modify any activity on or off the ship for any reason, including but not limited to inclement weather, labor disturbances, or safety reasons in the sole discretion and judgment of the Carrier or ship’s Captain;
  • © Comply with all governmental laws and orders given by governmental authorities;"

Was wondering when someone was going to bring this up......Thanks Toto

Bob

My Aunt is on the Sapphire this week and just emailed me that all her Ports were canceled and they are just floating around all week.
That's odd!!!

Floating around "all week???" :cool:

Princess announced that they weren't planning on changing the itinerary.

I'm on the Sapphire right nw, we are headed to Ensenada, San Diego and Catalina.

Oh that sucks, needless to say I will be less than amused if this is what the May 2nd cruise turns into.

Have Princess offered up anything ?

From the April 27th, 6 p.m. Princess News link Bob posted above:

Six Princess ships are currently scheduled for calls in Mexican ports through next month. In light of the CDC's recent travel health warning for Mexico, we are now reviewing our itinerary options, and further information on changes will be available tomorrow. However, some of the actions we are taking onboard all of our ships include:

We are enhancing our screening practices for passengers and crew embarking our ships.

We are adhering to CDC guidelines for reporting and treatment of persons with suspect swine flu.

We will isolate and treat passengers and crew with suspect swine flu. Anti-viral medications that effectively treat the swine flu are currently available onboard all Princess ships".

This is the link to the current Travel Health Warning from the CDC:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluMexico.aspx

Always check the date and time of the update as the original started on April 27th.

Besides the warning to avoid all nonessential travel it says that "Suspect clinical cases have been reported in 19 of the country's 32 states". It doesn't say exactly which of Mexico's states those are.

If you go to this link contained in the CDC link you'll find information for "Healthcare professionals" on who they should prescribe the antivirus medications to:

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/recommendations.htm

Right now you might find it difficult to get a Doctor to prescribe a prophylaxis dose of Tamiflu or Relenza to take with you. If this progresses it might be easier to get but you'll be questioned why you are going if there is a chance you might get ill.

If Princess is only changing ports of call and you can't get a refund or voucher for a different trip I think that is a valid reason (can't get your money back) for a Doctor to give it to you in case you need it, especially if you are in a high risk group, because there could be infected people coming from other places and they don't know they are infected. Your Doctor should explain how to use it. You don't necessarily start taking it. But they also have it on board if you should start to become ill.

It does look like from what people have heard from people onboard right now that they are avoiding Mexican ports. Hopefully Princess will have another news statement sometime today.

Good luck to everyone! :)

We are also on Sapphire. We haven't seen much in the way of disgruntled passengers, which is nice. Glad Princess is looking out for the best interests of the passengers and crew.

We just rec'd a printout of the new itinerary:

Service call in Ensenada on Wed., San Diego 7 - 6 on Thurs., and Catalina 7 - midnight on Friday. LA Saturday.

We are also on Sapphire. We haven't seen much in the way of disgruntled passengers, which is nice. Glad Princess is looking out for the best interests of the passengers and crew.

I agree 100% with that, though I have to be honest, we can do the Catalina etc cruise for less than $700 per couple, that is just a tiny bit (being very sarcastic here :D ) than we just paid for our cruise.

Oh well, wait and see what Princess comes up with I guess.

It would be nice if they offered up the chance to back out now as we can still get to Maui for a week....For a lot less than we paid for this cruise.

Boy, do I ever feel sorry for the cruise industry right now. They are certainly between a rock and a hard place on this one. :eek:

Yeah in many ways they are, at least on the east coast they can head to a different port, out here on the west there really isn't that much.

Boy, do I ever feel sorry for the cruise industry right now. They are certainly between a rock and a hard place on this one. :eek:

It seems that Princess is damned if they do and damned if they don't! Why are people grousing because Princess is trying to keep them healthy? If they went to the ports and got sick, then they would say Princess should have known better!!! :rolleyes:

I agree JetWet1. I wish Princess would make up their minds. We could also hop on a plane to Maui. After considering everything, if they change to the California ports, I would like a refund. The weather is gloomy here in So. Cal. We have overcast skies and it is only in the 60's. We can drive to all the ports here (except Catalina) and we have been to them many times. I was so looking forward to warm weather. :(

It seems that Princess is damned if they do and damned if they don't! Why are people grousing because Princess is trying to keep them healthy? If they went to the ports and got sick, then they would say Princess should have known better!!! :rolleyes:

Pretty much yep, right now it's the lack of communication that is annoying more than anything.

It sure is a mess! :eek:

Mexican borders, air and land, are screening people exiting Mexico but the US is not conducting enhanced screening of people arriving from Mexico or going to Mexico. And the screening of people on the Mexico side just started so that could mean that people, mostly ship employees, could have been infected during the last cruise and just now start becoming ill if they were infected.

It's a circle of trouble which is why they decided to issue the Health Warning. If people quit going to Mexico and that's where the main problem is (that's the theory right now) then the illness can be contained in one country for the most part and most of the extensive health care can be shifted there.

The CDC is recommending you monitor your health for 7 days after you've returned from a place with reported cases.

I would want a refund but I know that reading the passenger contract they don't have to give one. Might be better for public relations though. :confused:

It sure is a mess! :eek:

I would want a refund but I know that reading the passenger contract they don't have to give one. Might be better for public relations though. :confused:

Probably not, but your right about the PR point of view.

I just emailed the Publication manager at Princess.com asking for an update for all of us cruisers that are supposed to be boarding on Saturaday for Mexico. I will post anything that they tell me, as soon they tell me.

Thank you

Archived