Alternative to Rum Point?

NoVa Mimi

While I'd love to go back to Rum Point, I don't know if we'll rent a car and drive ourselves. Do any of you feel there is a nice small, quiet beach, somewhat similar to Rum Point, that might be easier, time-wise, to get to? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Do you want facilities similar to those at Rum Point? Or are you just looking for beach? There's a number of closer beaches, but any of the ones with facilities will likely be more crowded due to their proximity to the ship...

Bookbabe, thank you for your response. I've had some computer glitches and I'm sorry it's been a bit since you asked for further info...

We are looking for a quiet beach with restroom facilities and someplace nearby to grab a beverage or bite to eat. Everything else would just be icing on the cake.

We love the whole atmosphere of Rum Point and we really don't know if there is anything else even close to that intimate type of setting (ie: quiet, relaxing and peaceful).

I'd really appreciate your opinion and thoughts!

If you want a beach with restrooms and a restaurant plus closer to the port area so you don't have to rent a car, you're likely limited to the various sections of Seven Mile Beach. They're a lot more crowded than the beaches without facilities, though...but about the same crowd level as Rum Point seems to be lately. :( Unfortunately, any beach with facilities that's easy to get to is likely going to be fairly crowded on a cruise ship day...

Bookbabe, thank you so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate your help and input.

It's been a couple of years since we've been to Rum Point. Has it become crowded on cruise days? When we were there it was so peaceful and quiet that you could here the only the ice machine at the bar! :) It was so perfect in every way! It did become very crowded for about 30-40 minutes when an excursion came for lunch...wow what a change!! When those folks left, it was back to being perfect.

I'm wondering if it has changed a great deal. If it has become crowded, then there really would be no reason to rent a car and go all that way. What do you think about the possible changes? Depending on your thoughts, we were thinking of using Andy's to rent a car. I've seen them mentioned a few times here.

Thanks again for all of your help!

I'm wondering if it has changed a great deal. If it has become crowded, then there really would be no reason to rent a car and go all that way. What do you think about the possible changes?

I think it really depends on the day, and what cruise lines and tour companies are running what excursions.

I won't go near the place on a weekend or holiday. Forget it. :eek: It's a total mob scene.

During the week, it's been hit and miss (when I've paid attention, that is). Some days, it's quite busy, since there's the Nativeways RRR tour that stops at Rum Point for lunch and another one (can't remember what company) that does what seems to be a beach day excursion to Rum Point by catamaran (might be through Disney or Red Sail?) so they seem to be there for a longer stretch.

Then again, it might just be that I'm spoiled, and got used to the way Rum Point was when it was virtually deserted, with only a couple of other families there. And it's tough for me to compare it to the crowd levels at Seven Mile Beach, since I avoid that on cruise ship days as well. :D

Depending on your thoughts, we were thinking of using Andy's to rent a car. I've seen them mentioned a few times here.

We've rented from Andy's quite a few times, and have been fairly satisfied. One thing you should know is that the cars in the smallest category at most of the car rental agencies are quite small...way smaller than most people in the US/Canada are used to seeing regularly. While they say that they're a four-person car, it would have to be four small people...or four _very_ good friends... :)

Bookbabe, thank you so much for your help! If it were you, what beach would you go to?

That's a tough one. I'm a little biased. :D You see, we liked Cayman so much as a cruise stop, we went back for a land vacation and discovered Rum Point. We liked it so much that we bought property in the area and now spend most of our land vacations there. So, my very favourite beach is actually my backyard... ;)

However, we're also big fans of Royal Palms, and stop by for at least one afternoon when we're in Cayman. Any time I've been, the food has been good, the servers friendly, the bathrooms clean and the beach gorgeous. We don't tend to go on a heavy cruise ship day, though, so I don't know how crowded it gets compared to other spots. However, if it is too crowded for your tastes, from Royal Palms (or Sea Grape) you can easily walk down the beach a bit to find a less crowded spot to throw down a towel...close enough to pop back to the bathrooms or to get a drink, but far enough that you're away from all your fellow cruisers...

Unfortunately, you're not going to find a perfect, quiet beach that has good facilities close to the port. Either the beach isn't very good or has no facilities, or the beach is really hard to get to, or the beach is full of cruise ship visitors. Sorry... :o

Oh Bookbabe, I am so envious of you! How fabulous that you have property there and can enjoy Rum Point at it's best! :)

Okay, I figure Rum Point is where we really want to go, so that's where we'll go! Any other place and I'm sure we'd be saying we should have gone to Rum Point. I am waiting to hear from Andy's regarding a rental car. Would you suggest anyone else that might pick us up and drop us off at the tender area?

Also, any suggestions for the drive to Rum Point and back? Certain times to avoid, etc.?

Thank you again so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Tami

Would you suggest anyone else that might pick us up and drop us off at the tender area?

Most of the rental car chains have an outlet in Cayman, and I'm told most will pick up cruise ship visitors at the port. Just check your favourite chain, and you'll likely be able to arrange something suitable.

Also, any suggestions for the drive to Rum Point and back? Certain times to avoid, etc.?

Drew posted a great set of directions as post #11 in this thread, which I think you've probably seen:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=951871

Other than making sure to follow those, and not miss the left turn just past The Lighthouse Restaurant, it's a pretty easy drive. You'll be going against most of the rush hour traffic in the morning and heading back to the ship before rush hour in the afternoon, so you shouldn't really run into problems that way. Just leave yourself lots of time to get back to town and return your rental car and then get back to the port area for the tender... :D

Archived