Scuba Recomendations and Help Needed

Cincycruising

We are going on the Legend on July 12, 2009. We have stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan and want to go on 2 different scuba dives. Which locations have you dived or recommend that we dive.

Also, has anyone done the Scuba excursion in Belize that you.... SCUBA...FLY AND DIVE TO AMBERGRIS CAYE?

They fly you out to the area and you make 2 dives then low altitude fly back to the port. I am interested in finding out more info about this excusion or where to possible book it and do you go to the Blue Hole or see it from the flight?

Thanks for the help.

We made shore dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman last week. I have been to all 4 a number of times--twice on cruises. Coz from shore is a bit of a sand dive but interesting as the viz is great and there will be lots of juvenile fish to see. Grand Cayman and Roatan offer the best shore diving--Coco View Resort has a great shore dive if the viz is good. Arrange it with the resort in advance. We like the shore dives at DiveTech up next to the Turtle Farm and Sunset House about a mile south of the tender pier--taxi was $8. last week. 10 bucks for a tank and they actually charge $5. for weights now. Scuba Club Cozumel was a little less--I think $6. for a tank--no charge for weights. About the same for a cab. The only place I recommend the ship trip is Belize. the dive boat will pick one up at the ship--saving a 4 miles each way tender ride. Cost a little more for the ship trip, but not much in this case. I've been diving on Ambergris and it's pretty good, made the flight to/from Belize City as well. Not on a cruise though. Somewhere on here, I have read of someone who organizes such a trip. BTW, there is a diveshop, Seasports; just to the left off the tender dock in Belize City. Last week, we made no prior arrangements for our dives at Scuba Club Coz or Sunset House Resort--no problem. The next time in Coz, I think we may try the Presidente Hotel--it's well south of town. Might be better as it's away from most stuff--$8. cab fare each way from Puerta Maya--Carnivals main pier. We used to live in Cincinnati on the east side near 275 and Beechmont--now in Port St Lucie, FL--Dove with Aquarius over in KY, Many trips to Roatan, Bonaire, etc. Leesa is probably in the phonebook--I recommend a trip with her to Bonaire--she has done 80 or so trips to Habitat Bonaire--a great dive destination.

We made shore dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman last week. I have been to all 4 a number of times--twice on cruises. Coz from shore is a bit of a sand dive but interesting as the viz is great and there will be lots of juvenile fish to see.

Where did you dive in Cozumel?

• 4 weeks later...
We are going on the Legend on July 12, 2009.

as we get off the ship - doing the same trip the week before, diving all 4 stops. :D Found this thread looking for dive ops on GCI - all set on the other 3.

As said about Grand Cayman, shore dive is very nice and CHEAP... Coz was GREAT but didn't do a shore dive, took Sand Dollar Sports boat out to a few of the reefs and had a GREAT time. Been there with them for a week at a resort and had a lot of great dives, but have also used them on a cruise, both times have been very good, and the dive sites were fantastic...

regards

Scott

I just got back from the Liberty's Caribbean cruise. Due to the swine flu scare and low-turnout for Ocho Rios dives I only got to dive in Grand Cayman... but I was really happy with my dives in GC.

If you book your dives through RCCL ahead of time, you'll find that there are only two options: book with or without equipment... meaning (if you opt to book rental equipment you'll get whatever the dive operator at the location gives you).

I've found there's a third (and very good) option not advertised: you can book "no equipment" dives, then rent your gear through the Sea Trek dive shop on-board the ship. If you rent your gear on the ship, you'll get a Scuba Pro QD BC with regs, fins, snorkel, mask and Suunto Cobra computer... for the entire week.

Once I found out about this, and saw the shape their gear was in, I rented my gear through the ship. I got to try everything on, and they bagged it for me to use. My ship-rented gear was in REALLY good shape -- and I'd rent from them again in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...
I just got back from the Liberty's Caribbean cruise. Due to the swine flu scare and low-turnout for Ocho Rios dives I only got to dive in Grand Cayman... but I was really happy with my dives in GC.

If you book your dives through RCCL ahead of time, you'll find that there are only two options: book with or without equipment... meaning (if you opt to book rental equipment you'll get whatever the dive operator at the location gives you).

I've found there's a third (and very good) option not advertised: you can book "no equipment" dives, then rent your gear through the Sea Trek dive shop on-board the ship. If you rent your gear on the ship, you'll get a Scuba Pro QD BC with regs, fins, snorkel, mask and Suunto Cobra computer... for the entire week.

Once I found out about this, and saw the shape their gear was in, I rented my gear through the ship. I got to try everything on, and they bagged it for me to use. My ship-rented gear was in REALLY good shape -- and I'd rent from them again in a heartbeat.

MK - How much does it cost to rent equipment through Liberty of the Seas? I know the quality is probably much higher, so I assume the cost as well.... Thanks in advance for your reply!

cindy

we did this dive great time, a little close on time

you do not fly over the blue hole or dive it, it is way to far away to do from a cruise ship.

we did the ledgend twice just for this diving, dive at all stops and do them all on your own, not with the ship

Ray

We are going on the Legend on July 12, 2009. We have stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan and want to go on 2 different scuba dives. Which locations have you dived or recommend that we dive.

Also, has anyone done the Scuba excursion in Belize that you.... SCUBA...FLY AND DIVE TO AMBERGRIS CAYE?

They fly you out to the area and you make 2 dives then low altitude fly back to the port. I am interested in finding out more info about this excusion or where to possible book it and do you go to the Blue Hole or see it from the flight?

Thanks for the help.

We have done this exact fly / dive several times. Here is a link to a review I wrote with pics of a typical day at Belize while cruising on the Grand Princess. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=991188

Without a helicopter the Blue Hole is just to far to do a day excursion from a cruise ship.

Click on my webshots page and go to any Grand Princess album to see pics of our Fly / Dive trips from cruise ships to Ambergris Caye.

We dive annually in Grand Cayman and love it! Water is crystal clear most of the time and always plenty to see.

We've also gone to the Blue Hole in Belize. We were unimpressed. It's a deep dive down into the dark. All you can make out is a couple of rock columns and because of the depth, you don't stay down long enough to explore. It's all in what experience you're looking for.

Unfortunately, we've also discovered that many places available to a cruise ship's schedule are not the best places to dive. But as they say, a day of diving is better than a day of work.

Have fun!

I have dived in all four locations. From a cruise ship the best two are GC and Coz. The dive sites are close by and easy to get there and back in a decent amount of time. Both locations have good diving. In Belize due to the distance of the dive sites from the cruise ships, I would recommend the cave tubing adventure. I just came back from my second liveaboard week long dive trip to Belize and third trip through the caves.

I agree with the assessment of the blue hole. I was down 130 feet so my bottom time was 10 minutes with a two safety stops on the way back up. A lot of work for not much to see. I have also been on week long liveaboard dive trips to GC and Roatan. GC IMO was better for many reasons, however others will disagree.

I have been on several week long land based dive trips to Coz and have already booked one for next May. I have also dived Coz while on a cruise ship. Coz is different with beautiful reefs, high viz but no large sealife. I can't wait to get back there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody...I'm a newly certified diver and going on my first cruise with my Mom and sister-in-law (both non-certified, SIL is working on it)...I was wondering if any one has done the Dolphin dive in Roatan (thru Anthony's Key) and if you would recommend it? Also, I'm looking into diving in Belize for sure and possibly Cozumel (GC is the stingray city day...), any suggestions or tips??

Thank you!!! :D

Hi -

Many years ago I did do the dolphin diving at Anthony's Key and it was very awesome....it isn't the dolphin encounter where you have a life jacket on and the dolphins come up and kiss you etc...they are actually in open water with thier trainer swimming around.

If you have the opportunity to do this you should!

Linda

• 4 weeks later...
I have dived in all four locations. From a cruise ship the best two are GC and Coz. The dive sites are close by and easy to get there and back in a decent amount of time. Both locations have good diving. In Belize due to the distance of the dive sites from the cruise ships, I would recommend the cave tubing adventure. I just came back from my second liveaboard week long dive trip to Belize and third trip through the caves.

I agree with the assessment of the blue hole. I was down 130 feet so my bottom time was 10 minutes with a two safety stops on the way back up. A lot of work for not much to see. I have also been on week long liveaboard dive trips to GC and Roatan. GC IMO was better for many reasons, however others will disagree.

I have been on several week long land based dive trips to Coz and have already booked one for next May. I have also dived Coz while on a cruise ship. Coz is different with beautiful reefs, high viz but no large sealife. I can't wait to get back there.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the large fish are gone from Cozumel. A decade or two ago, there were schools of herring swarming around barracudas, right by the shore. Huge groupers in the deeper water. Schools of Tarpons right off the resort dock - they almost look and swim like barracudas. I remember the Tarpon cave - it was kinda scary in the dark with those monsters massing around you. Got bit by Bermuda Chubs and stung by thimble jellyfish there. Sadly, they started to disappear when the island really began to commercialized and the cruise ship pier was built.

I was wondering if any one has done the Dolphin dive in Roatan (thru Anthony's Key) and if you would recommend it? Also, I'm looking into diving in Belize for sure and possibly Cozumel

Just did that a couple weeks ago - awesome. Even bought the dvd they made of our dive. Well worth the $$ - once. In Belize we took the ship's excursion - only a few $$ more and good op. Also you get picked up by the dive boat right at the ship so no time wasted tendering. That part was great. On Coz I recommend either Chellie at Eagle Ray or Alison at Scuba with Alison - been diving with both.

Thank you so much!!! I was kind of on the fence about the dolphins because we'd read reviews about people spending a lot of time waiting and not really seeing the dolphins...I"ve actually looked into Diving with Alison, too...thanks for the recommendations!!!!

:D:D:D

Archived