Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

The three in Dallas are 24, 7 and 5 months. The 7 year old is in my town so more on him and they dont know where he could have gotten it?? None of the 3 are related. From the google earth link.

Dallas, TX

He obviously got it from somewhere. Have these cases been 100% confirmed as the identical virus?

Also, is it mild like the other cases have been (although 5 months is scary).

I honestly don't know the answer to that question -- but here's an interesting story in the New York Times about the ill students: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/nyregion/28school.html?ref=nyregion

Melissa if I understood the news this morning I believe it was the students that had spring break in Cancun and they had the swine flu now it didn't say where all they had gone other than Cancun. I am not sure where they flew in to. The only time I have visited Mexico it has been with Carnival but that is definately where they had been on spring break so it is one of the ports or right there at Calica isn't it?

I got back on April 5th, had the flu on April 12! All teh symptoms of this swine flu, especially the respiratory symptoms which I still have! I felt really bad for 4-5 days and just tired now....and oh, so tired of coughing and coughing.

We were in Coz & Progresso....when I posted this earlier this weekend in the disappeared thread, everyone said too early, must be a coincidence, and that the flu was not in that area BUT now others have the flu that were in the resort areas.

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with the flu, so I know I had the flu, whether it was the swine flu, I cant say, but i do know it is quite the coincidence that I am the only person around that has had the flu and I was just back from Mexico! Plus, I am in the age demographic that this flu is hitting. If I caught this flu and was on the ship with others, I am sure I am not the only one.

Saying all that to say this: This flu is here in the US. IF I were going to cruise in the next week or so, I would hope the ports would be closed. Staying on the ship will not do anything because whomever gets off may bring the flu back on!!

I am a little concerned with May 1st and May 5th around the corner. My husband and I usually vacation in our timeshare in Puerto Vallarta during that time, and I know firsthand how the resorts fill up with Mexican nationals vacationing during this time period.

I was just considering that with so many families from Mexico City going to visit the resorts in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Alcapulco, etc., that might be a higher level of concern of the virus spreading at that point.

Interesting theory however until there is any indication that this is accurate the easiest answer is that they flew non-stop from NY. The prices are about the same and it is a much quicker trip. Why would they fly through Mexico City? There are several other cases that identify Cancun as their stop in Mexico. And given the intense interest and concern, it seems likely that the information that they had been in Mexico City would be out there. There is a CDC section that discusses each case- age, gender, probable source, etc. I will have to go back to it if I can find it again.

Time will tell.

We don't have enough info. If you checked prices today, I'm not surprised. I suspect bookings to Mexico have dropped considerably.

What were the prices when they booked and/or before the current situation came to light? Students tend to take the cheapest transportation available, and Spring Break is over.

That they went through Mexico City is pure speculation on my part, but reasonable.

He obviously got it from somewhere. Have these cases been 100% confirmed as the identical virus?

Also, is it mild like the other cases have been (although 5 months is scary).

yes all mild. Canyon Creek Elementary is a public school and closing for the rest of the week and scrubbing it down. Very close to where I was today, surprised a public school did that. They havent any idea yet how the 7 year old got it. The other 2 here are in Dallas, not in Richardson. The news about closing the elementary is now on our local news. Im sure they will figure it out how the children got it.

Hi everyone,

As we've reported tonight, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.K.'s Foreign and Commonwealth Office have issued travel warnings, advising people to avoid nonessential travel to Mexico. The U.S. Department of State has issued a travel alert that basically refers to the CDC's recommendations.

What's the difference between an alert and a warning? The U.S. State Department's Web site says that "Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff." Meanwhile, "Travel Alerts are issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions, generally within a particular country, that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events are examples of conditions that might generate a Travel Alert."

And what does this all mean? Right now, nothing -- even with the warnings (and alert), the cruise lines have not yet rescinded their decisions to call on Mexico ports (which, we must reiterate, have experienced zero cases of swine flu). Of course, that could change, and we will report that information as soon as it comes in.

We reached out to several cruise lines as soon as the warnings started popping up: Royal Caribbean/Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL and Fred. Olsen in the U.K. Thus far, only RCI/Celebrity have responded (and, again, tell us that they have no changes to report).

Sunshine Girly, I cannot imagine why you would even consider going to your time share in early May. There are more important things than just losing your week, and the airlines are allowing changes from Mexican itineraries with no charge.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't really clear. :confused: We usually go to PV the first week in May, but we are not this year. Actually banked the week to go on the family cruise we are doing in June.

So I am still a little concerned with the actual spread of the virus to resort ports by nationals during that time period, and that is what I will be keeping an eye on. But I'm not panicky about it.:)

Member Wennfred is posting live from the ship on another thread on this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975387

Swine flu has come up a few times, and he and Laura have shared the same sentiment -- that it's not that hot of a topic onboard, particularly compared to the media firestorm we're all seeing here on land.

If the news would get progressively worse, it would be interesting if someone who has some real knowledge would start a discussion on trip insurance and how it might or might not apply to these circumstances.

There is "Cancel for any reason" insurance, but not sold through cruise lines.

I can tell you all trip insurance is not created equally, so it depends. There is no singular answer.

For any school to be closed in the state of Texas this week is a pretty big deal. It is our big TAKS testing week and many grades have to pass different subjects to promote to the next grade. Confidentiality is a huge issue and I'm sure closing a school is a last resort.

I didn't think too much of this until I heard this. We sent notes home with all the kids in my district today . . . be on the outlook for symptoms, don't send your kids to school with a fever. DUH!

We reached out to several cruise lines as soon as the warnings started popping up: Royal Caribbean/Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL and Fred. Olsen in the U.K. Thus far, only RCI/Celebrity have responded (and, again, tell us that they have no changes to report).

I am not surprised. This is similar to what they do when a hurricane is predicted to strike a certain area. They honestly don't know, yet, and I would not be surprised if they have access to more information than CDC, much less the media.

Cruise lines will not risk the ship or the passengers, but also have the bottom line to consider.

I think governments (other than Mexico) are overreacting, which is a good and bad thing.

It is good, because they are being extra careful. It is bad because if this passes quickly (which I think it will), people may not listen in the future (also similar to hurricane warnings).

There are now several posts on a variety of threads saying that several ships have cancelled stops at Mexican ports on the Baja for the next few days. I think it is Princess which is skipping 3 stops, a HAL skipping one at the moment.

So heres the question ???

Your Country advises against Travel to Mexico - the cruiseline says No changes - the cruiseline won't let you change your cruise without penalties - someone catches the Flu - Could you sue the cruiseline for not heedings government advice ??

jj.....

Well Tuesday morning (4/28) will tell the tale. Sapphire Princess is supposed to port in Puerto Vallarta at 8am (Carnival owns Princess & Holland). According to Sailwx.info, Sapphire is currently nowhere near Puerto Vallarta (11pm 4/27). She is just far enough down to get some warm weather.

Will Mariner of the Seas make it to Cabo by 10:30am Tuesday (4/28)?

Will Carnival Splendor make it to Puerto Vallarta by 10am Wednesday morning (4/29)?

We shall see.

See link below

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

What is swine flu?

Like people, pigs can get influenza (flu), but swine flu viruses aren't the same as human flu viruses. Swine flu doesn't often infect people, and the rare human cases that have occurred in the past have mainly affected people who had direct contact with pigs. But the current swine flu outbreak is different. It's caused by a new swine flu virus that has spread from person to person -- and it's happening among people who haven't had any contact with pigs.

What are swine flu symptoms?

Symptoms of swine flu are like regular flu symptoms and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. Those symptoms can also be caused by many other conditions, and that means that you and your doctor can't know, just based on your symptoms, if you've got swine flu. It takes a lab test to tell whether it's swine flu or some other condition.

If I think I have swine flu, what should I do? When should I see my doctor?

If you have flu symptoms, stay home, and when you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue. Afterward, throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands. That will help prevent your flu from spreading.

If you've got flu symptoms, and you've recently been to a high-risk area like Mexico, CDC officials recommend that you see your doctor. If you have flu symptoms but you haven't been in a high-risk area, you can still see a doctor -- that's your call.

Keep in mind that your doctor will not be able to determine whether you have swine flu, but he or she would take a sample from you and send it to a state health department lab for testing to see if it's swine flu. If your doctor suspects swine flu, he or she would be able to write you a prescription for Tamiflu or Relenza. Those drugs may not be required; U.S. swine flu patients have made a full recovery without it.

How does swine flu spread? Is it airborne?

The new swine flu virus apparently spreads just like regular flu. You could pick up germs directly from an infected person, or by touching an object they recently touched, and then touching your eyes, mouth, or nose, delivering their germs for your own infection. That's why you should make washing your hands a habit, even when you're not ill. Infected people can start spreading flu germs up to a day before symptoms start, and for up to seven days after getting sick, according to the CDC.

The swine flu virus can become airborne if you cough or sneeze without covering your nose and mouth, sending germs into the air.

The U.S. residents infected with swine flu virus had no direct contact with pigs. The CDC says it's likely that the infections represent widely separated cycles of human-to-human infections.

How is swine flu treated?

The new swine flu virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. The CDC recommends those drugs to prevent or treat swine flu; the drugs are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms. But not everyone needs those drugs; many of the first people in the U.S. with lab-confirmed swine flu recovered without treatment. The Department of Homeland Security has released 25% of its stockpile of Tamiflu and Relenza to states. Health officials have asked people not to hoard Tamiflu or Relenza.

Is there a vaccine against the new swine flu virus?

No. But the CDC and the World Health Organization are already taking the first steps toward making such a vaccine. That's a lengthy process -- it takes months.

I had a flu vaccine this season. Am I protected against swine flu?

No. This season's flu vaccine wasn't made with the new swine flu virus in mind; no one saw this virus coming ahead of time.

If you were vaccinated against flu last fall or winter, that vaccination will go a long way toward protecting you against certain human flu virus strains. But the new swine flu virus is a whole other problem

How can I prevent swine flu infection?

The CDC recommends taking these steps:

Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Or use an alcohol-based hand cleaner.

Avoid close contact with sick people.

Avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.

Can I still eat pork?

Yes. You can't get swine flu by eating pork, bacon, or other foods that come from pigs.

What else should I be doing?

Keep informed of what's going on in your community. Your state and local health departments may have important information if swine flu develops in your area. For instance, parents might want to consider what they would do if their child's school temporarily closed because of flu. That happened in New York City, where St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens closed for a couple of days after eight students were found to have swine flu. Don't panic, but a little planning wouldn't hurt.

How severe is swine flu?

The severity of cases in the current swine flu outbreak has varied widely. In Mexico, there have been deaths and other severe cases. Early cases in the U.S. have been mild. But that could change. The virus itself could change, either becoming more or less dangerous. Scientists are watching closely to see which way the new swine flu virus is heading -- but health experts warn that flu viruses are notoriously hard to predict, as far as how and when they'll change.

Why has the swine flu infection been deadlier in Mexico than in the U.S.?

It is unclear why U.S. cases have been milder compared to those in Mexico. Among the first 20 reported cases in the U.S., only one patient required hospitalization and that person has fully recovered. CDC researchers are actively investigating to learn more about the differences between the cases in Mexico and those in the U.S.

Have there been previous swine flu oubtreaks?

Yes. There was a swine flu outbreak at Fort Dix, N.J., in 1976 among military recruits. It lasted about a month and then went away as mysteriously as it appeared. As many as 240 people were infected; one died.

The swine flu that spread at Fort Dix was the H1N1 strain. That's the same flu strain that caused the disastrous flu pandemic of 1918-1919, resulting in tens of millions of deaths.

Concern that a new H1N1 pandemic might return in winter 1976 led to a crash program to create a vaccine and vaccinate all Americans against swine flu. That vaccine program ran into all kinds of problems -- not the least of which was public perception that the vaccine caused excessive rates of dangerous reactions. After more than 40 million people were vaccinated, the effort was abandoned.

As it turned out, there was no swine flu epidemic.

I was vaccinated against the 1976 swine flu virus. Am I still protected?

Probably not. The new swine flu virus is different from the 1976 virus. And it's not clear whether a vaccine given more than 30 years ago would still be effective.

How many people have swine flu?

That's a hard question to answer, because the figure is changing so quickly. If you want to keep track of U.S. cases that have been confirmed by lab tests and reported to the CDC, check the CDC's web site. If you're looking for cases in other countries, visit the World Health Organization's web site. And when you hear about large numbers of people who are ill, remember that lab tests may not yet have been done to confirm that they have swine flu. And there may be a little lag time before confirmed cases make it into the official tally.

How serious is the public health threat of a swine flu epidemic?

The U.S. government has declared swine flu to be a public health emergency.

It remains to be seen how severe swine flu will be in the U.S. and elsewhere, but countries worldwide are monitoring the situation closely and preparing for the possibility of a pandemic.

The World Health Organization has not declared swine flu to be a pandemic. The WHO wants to learn more about the virus first and see how severe it is and how deeply it takes root.

But it takes more than a new virus spreading among humans to make a pandemic. The virus has to be able to spread efficiently from one person to another, and transmission has to be sustained over time. In addition, the virus has to spread geographically.

ABC Channel 7 in Los Angeles just now announced that Carnival Cruise Lines will NOT be altering its itineraries that stop in Mexico. As of yet, no reported cases of Swine Flu have been detected on any ships. Business as usual.

Yet I just read that the Elation is skipping Ensenada today. :confused:

Ain't that Mexico?

Archived