4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

A REPOSITIONING cruise . . . moving a ship from one homeport to another (e.g., moving ships from the Caribbean to Vancouver for the summer Alaskan cruises using the Panama Canal)

So they sail the ship from Carribbean to Vancouver and pax also pay the cost of flight home??? I think I got this. Still a little weird.

for those interested, here is an update of what´s happening, or rather not happening, in Puerto Vallarta.

http://www.pvscene.com/?p=4081

Sorry you didn´t make it here, enjoy the rest of your time on the Splendour.

Greg

Hi Greg,

To those that may not know, Gregkn is a former cruise director for Carnival (Greg Kneale). I think he now owns a restaurant in Puerto Vallarta.

I had the pleasure of having Greg as the cruise director on 3 CONSECUTIVE cruises on 3 DIFFERENT ships ! !

Good to hear you're still around, Greg . . . you may remember me as the DOOPHUS that posted on Cruise Critic from the ship that you were very entertaining but very predictable :o. . . (heard about this in front of 1500 people in the main showroom the next night):rolleyes:

Wish you the best, Greg. :)

Don't know if they will this early, but we are on the 5/3 (this Sunday) sailing. We got an 8G from a 4E free. And, I am hoping the whiners are the ones cancelling this week as well! As you say, hoping for a nice, non-crowded ship!

So now people are whiners if they cancel and rebook :confused:

You sound like a lovely family. We sailed on the Splendor for the April 12th voyage and had a wonderful time. We were in Spa Balcony cabin. We received free passes to the Spa pool and treatment rooms which I think would be even more enjoyable for the north bound trip. If you can upgrade to these I think you would be pleased. We had Michael and Lalaing for our stewards. They were great!. Have a wonderful time.

If the BIG SHOT law person is making something out of this. I will bet you any amount of money he probably isn't a lawyer at all. No legit lawyer will be dumb enough to fault the Cruise line on this.

Lawyers, (I've spent my entire adult life surrounded by them) and the rest of us cruisers should read the fine print of the contract: "The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances."

I can't help but think of National Lampoon's Vacation when I see this, lol.

"How would you feel if you just drove 2000 miles and found out Florida was closed?"..."They don't close Florida, Clark"....:p

:D :D :D

"The moose out front should've told you."

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a lot of people thinks those people are getting off the ship are "whinner" or doesn't have good attitude and a complainers.

We really don't know the reason for them getting off the ship in Long Beach. If I were on that ship, I would get off the ship...not because I am a whinner, but because going up north is most likely you will encounter rough sea, and I don't think my family would enjoy the route. For some passengers that is not a problems, but for other it might make them sick.

Imagine for the next 3 or 4 days, you can't eat any foods on board, because it makes you so sick...and all you want to do is get off the ship. Then after you return from your "vacation" you have to call in sick to recover from your trip. That is no fun.

I know Carnival did the best in a situation, I wouldn't care less about the refund...why would I torture my family for extra 3 or 4 days of rough sea?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Fred and everyone coming to San Francisco....PLEASE.....DO NOT waste your money eating the garbage at a chain restaurant like Bubba Gumps....its OK for a drink but when some of the best restaurants in the world are at your fingertips I wouldn't bother with Gumps...bleah....

Right there at Fishermans wharf are several VERY NICE seafood restaurants like Scoma's, Alioto's and many others...ENJOY!

Agreed....Bubba's in NYC is not so great either!

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a lot of people thinks those people are getting off the ship are "whinner" or doesn't have good attitude and a complainers.

We really don't know the reason for them getting off the ship in Long Beach. If I were on that ship, I would get off the ship...not because I am a whinner, but because going up north is most likely you will encounter rough sea, and I don't think my family would enjoy the route. For some passengers that is not a problems, but for other it might make them sick.

Imagine for the next 3 or 4 days, you can't eat any foods on board, because it makes you so sick...and all you want to do is get off the ship. Then after you return from your "vacation" you have to call in sick to recover from your trip. That is no fun.

I know Carnival did the best in a situation, I wouldn't care less about the refund...why would I torture my family for extra 3 or 4 days of rough sea?

Thanks,

Tibbie

You can have rough seas wherever you cruise, it's all up to mother nature.

We sailed on Splendor April 12th had a wonderful time. Is Summer Breeze (Viviene and Bruce) still playing in the lobby bar? Is Grayson, the young man with the Entertainment staff still there. They made our trip so memorable. Have some desert for me. Thanks,

So they sail the ship from Carribbean to Vancouver and pax also pay the cost of flight home??? I think I got this. Still a little weird.

The SPLENDOR, which is too big for the Panama Canal had to be REPOSITIONED from Miami to Los Angeles by going around the tip of South America. A cruise so long that it was sold in sections to accomodate those that could not make the entire cruise. Many of these repositioning cruises, since they are just a "one-time-shot" are bargains as the cruiseline oft time has difficulty filling the ship. When the PRIDE was moved from LA to Miami recently through the Panama Canal there were some absolute bargains for this 14-day cruise. Wished I could have made it. :)

The SPLENDOR, which is too big for the Panama Canal had to be REPOSITIONED from Miami to Los Angeles by going around the tip of South America. A cruise so long that it was sold in sections to accomodate those that could not make the entire cruise. Many of these repositioning cruises, since they are just a "one-time-shot" are bargains as the cruiseline oft time has difficulty filling the ship. When the PRIDE was moved from LA to Miami recently through the Panama Canal there were some absolute bargains for this 14-day cruise. Wished I could have made it. :)

When on her in late March, I talked with Jaime an asst. CD and she said that in the repositioning cruise from east coast to west coast, that over 2,000 customers booked all the legs. Doesn't sound like they had a lot of trouble filling most of the cabins on that one.

That is not what I said. What I said was I hope the whiners are the ones that rebook - as opposed to the whiners not rebooking and the non-whiners rebooking.

Ditto for my comments. We'd rebook if we could, but the week we're going is pretty much the only week the rest of the year we can take as a family.

As for the "whiners" I was referring to, I meant the people who go on the cruise instead of rebooking, yet complain the entire time about the new itinerary. To the contrary...anyone who does rebook (and CAN rebook) is doing what they think is best as well. I would figure most people that continue to cruise knowing of the new itinerary would make the best of things.

Oh, one last thing I need you guys to check this out for me, Remember I told you that Marriner of the Seas was in Cabo and they released their passengers that morning for a beautiful great day at the beach, rumors are that Marriner of the Seas is currently under Flag "Yellow", meaning they are Quarrentine (sp) check it out for me, someone is probably posting that info on the RCI Board.

Fred

Fred, code yellow is just RCCL's term for extra precautions to prevent illness onboard the ship. It doesn't mean quarantine.

Got a telephone call from daughter who is on the Splendor while docked in Long Beach. Like Fred, she and her friend are making the best of it. Why go back to work early when you are on vacation.

I think most are trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe the ones getting off ship are thinking they will be reimbursed (fine print of contract needs to be read). With irate passengers gone, the ship will be better for the ones who stayed.

Thank you Fred for keeping us posted and to Laura too.

Well people were still kicking and screaming getting off the ship, Lots of yelling, Get me off this damn ship!!! and you better give my son his money!!! Glad to see them leave, maybe they will book RCI in the future.

All outdoor decks are full, everyone is enjoying the sun right now.

I had some Tandoor Indian BBQ and its way too spicy for me, so I went up and had the Rotisserie, the chicken, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and Mac & Cheese was on the money. Also had some Coffee Flavored cake for dessert.

The Rotisserie is where the Fish & Chips station is on Deck 10, this ship does not have the Fish & Chips, the Burrito Bar is right below it on Deck 9, lido deck.

Did you guys figure out what ship the Lady that came off a cruise got the Swine Flu out of Colorado ???

Fred

Got a telephone call from daughter who is on the Splendor while docked in Long Beach. Like Fred, she and her friend are making the best of it. Why go back to work early when you are on vacation.

I think most are trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe the ones getting off ship are thinking they will be reimbursed (fine print of contract needs to be read). With irate passengers gone, the ship will be better for the ones who stayed.

Thank you Fred for keeping us posted and to Laura too.

I talked to Meredith while they were docked in LB and she said the note that was given out had it large and bold type that no refunds would be given if they chose to leave.

I realize some wanted to get off and don't think the trip north would be smooth enough, but for me, I would find a way to make it work. The cost of extra hotels, food, and flight changes would not be worth it to me.

Well people were still kicking and screaming getting off the ship, Lots of yelling, Get me off this damn ship!!! and you better give my son his money!!! Glad to see them leave, maybe they will book RCI in the future.

All outdoor decks are full, everyone is enjoying the sun right now.

I had some Tandoor Indian BBQ and its way too spicy for me, so I went up and had the Rotisserie, the chicken, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and Mac & Cheese was on the money. Also had some Coffee Flavored cake for dessert.

The Rotisserie is where the Fish & Chips station is on Deck 10, this ship does not have the Fish & Chips, the Burrito Bar is right below it on Deck 9, lido deck.

Did you guys figure out what ship the Lady that came off a cruise got the Swine Flu out of Colorado ???

Fred

:cool:

Here's the report from Denver's ABC affiliate:

DENVER -- The Colorado Department of Health confirmed Thursday that Colorado has two confirmed cases of H1N1 Swine flu.

One of the victims is a woman in her 30s, from Arapahoe County. She became ill after returning from a Mexico cruise that embarked from San Diego, Calif. She was not hospitalized.

The second case is a man in his 40s. He is employed as a baggage handler at Denver International Airport and is from Douglas County. 7News confirmed he is employed by United Airlines. He was hospitalized for three days

Archived