Cabin Door Width on Princess Ships?

bjboothman

Has anyone ever measured the door opening width clearance on a Princess ship? Wondering if a 19.5 inch travel scooter will fit through the door of a standard cabin or minisuite --- or if it would be necessary to disassemble the scooter in the hallway to get it through the door on its side (which seems REALLY inconvenient).

I have only measured the door on the Island princess. Last fall we went to Alaska with our daughter and her family. We had an accessible balcony cabin with a 32 inch wide door. Our daughter had an inside across the hall with a 20 inch door opening. The step up into her bathroom was 3.25 inches. I was so glad to have the accessible room as there was no problem using my scooter and my recent increased problem with steps would have made using the bathroom next to impossible in a standard cabin.

And even if you could squeeze your scooter through the door of a standard cabin, you will find little or no space in the cabin in which to turn the scooter and/or to store it. But the biggest problem for a wheelie or scooter user in a standard cabin is the lip or step up into the bathroom. But the size of the cabin and the furniture layout can be just as much of a problem. We travel with both a scooter and a manual wheelchair(for going ashore) and would never even consider the confines and restrictions of a standard cabin.:)

We would love to only use a wheelchair room but they are never available to book. The cruise lines need to add more to each ship. We have used reg cabins on 4 ships. Carnival doors are narrow, our larger scooter just made it through but we had to remove the arms. Ncl Pearl and Pride of America have about 2 inches more width. Our problem is with door sills and elevators. On Ncl the doors to the elevators close way to fast especially when people push in front of you and leave ahead of you without holding the door. As people will continue to be rude, they need to adjust the timing on the door closures. Also the auto doors to the deck did not work on the Pearl last Nov. They did on the Pride. The sills on some of the doors are uneven or too high so the scooter catches. The ships do have great wheelchair bathrooms with auto doors...Carnival has not so far. Also ,often the gangway access is to short and angle to high.

We will finally experience a handicapped room this Nov on NCL Jade. Hopefully it will help our cruise experience as we had to leave our scooter outside in the hallway on the Pride because of the tiny rooms.

We would love to only use a wheelchair room but they are never available to book. The cruise lines need to add more to each ship. We have used reg cabins on 4 ships. Carnival doors are narrow, our larger scooter just made it through but we had to remove the arms. Ncl Pearl and Pride of America have about 2 inches more width. Our problem is with door sills and elevators. On Ncl the doors to the elevators close way to fast especially when people push in front of you and leave ahead of you without holding the door. As people will continue to be rude, they need to adjust the timing on the door closures. Also the auto doors to the deck did not work on the Pearl last Nov. They did on the Pride. The sills on some of the doors are uneven or too high so the scooter catches. The ships do have great wheelchair bathrooms with auto doors...Carnival has not so far. Also ,often the gangway access is to short and angle to high.

We will finally experience a handicapped room this Nov on NCL Jade. Hopefully it will help our cruise experience as we had to leave our scooter outside in the hallway on the Pride because of the tiny rooms.

About the only way you can assure getting a handicap-accessible cabin on any of the lines is to book way in advance, at least 8 months from when you expect to cruise. And try to book the newest ships available. The older ones either don't have accessible cabins, or the cabins they do have, have been re-fitted, and the features are not always truly accessible to someone in a wheelchair.

Thanks for the replies.

I measured the opening on the Emerald last time I was on it, and the door opening was 22 inches (balcony room - not sure if inside rooms are narrower than balcony rooms - or if the openings are wider on the Emerald than on the Island).

I was not able to get an HC room for a cruise that is sailing at the end of November - so I booked a minisuite, just to have the extra storage room for a scooter. The step up to the bathroom is not a problem. My husband walks short distances very well - his problem is that he cannot walk the lengths of the passageways between cabin/elevator/dining room/theatre. We traveled without a scooter in December and he said 'never again'.

I guess I have to wonder if a 19.5 inch wide scooter is TRULY 19.5 and will fit through a doorway that I'm hoping is truly 20 inches. The travel scooter can be disassembled and moved through the doorway by two people sideways --- but what a chore that would be.

And honestly I don't want to take an HC room from someone else on a different sailing if we can make it work in a minisuite.

If anyone else has any knowledge of Princess ships and door width, please let me know. When I called Princess they told me the door was 24 inches. Not even sure if that's true, but the opening is clearly not.

• 6 years later...

Just spoke with Princess and they tell me the door size (full suite ,Regal)

is 23". Their website says 22" . If I call back tomorrow it may be more or less :D

The web site for renting a scooter says it will fit MOST cabin doors. :confused:

Just spoke with Princess and they tell me the door size (full suite ,Regal)

is 23". Their website says 22" . If I call back tomorrow it may be more or less :D

The web site for renting a scooter says it will fit MOST cabin doors. :confused:

Most cruise lines standard cabin doors are 23" wide door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall. The total door clearance is than only 21" wide.

Also note that there will be a step up into the bathroom and the door to the bathroom as well as the interior of the bathroom will not accommodate a walker/rollator should one have to be used.