Need advice on purchasing 1st snorkel and mask sets

Lovely_Star

DH & I have snorkeled on every cruise that we have gone on so far and plan to do so for all future cruise since we really enjoy it. In the past, we have rented equipment but have decided that it would be in our best interest to purchase and bring our own snorkel and mask sets. I’m really clueless as to what type of snorkel and mask set to purchase and where. Do we buy wet, dry or semi-dry? Silicone or not? Any particular name brand? Do we need extra straps? Is it one size fits all? I really don’t know the differences between the types of sets, as we are not expert snorkelers. Can someone with experience in this area please help and offer up some wisdom and guidance?

DH & I have snorkeled on every cruise that we have gone on so far and plan to do so for all future cruise since we really enjoy it. In the past, we have rented equipment but have decided that it would be in our best interest to purchase and bring our own snorkel and mask sets. I’m really clueless as to what type of snorkel and mask set to purchase and where. Do we buy wet, dry or semi-dry? Silicone or not? Any particular name brand? Do we need extra straps? Is it one size fits all? I really don’t know the differences between the types of sets, as we are not expert snorkelers. Can someone with experience in this area please help and offer up some wisdom and guidance?

Hi,

You ask a lot of good questions, and I'm sure you have more, so I'd suggest you look up a local scuba diving center or diving supply store in your area (looks like you're in the city so there's a few :)). The masks and snorkels used by snorkelers are effectively the same as divers. While their equipment may be too high end pricing for you, the dive centers don't mind taking the time to explain how to select equipment. And if you want something that will last more than a season, their equipment isn't that much more expensive so you might actually buy from them if you're so inclined. Without covering a lot of details, masks/snorkels need to fit well. Since each person's face is different you should have one "fit" for you (your DH may not use the same shape, brand or size as you do). If you decide to buy on-line or at a retail store, make sure they have a return policy in case the mask doesn't fit (it took me 3 masks before I found the perfect fit and I'm not that far from normal :p). Generic mask/snorkel set sold in Walmart, etc. are set for a majority of faces but like a good suit, a custom fitted mask makes all the difference in your experience in the water and worth a few extra dollars.

Randall

^ Agree with the above.

Go to a dive shop and try out various masks to find one that is comfortable and fits you properly. The dive shop folks will show you how to check it, but if you're on your own it's pretty easy to do:

- Place the mask on your face (without using the straps).

- Look up at the ceiling

- Inhale through your nose (this should suck the mask to your face)

- Look straight ahead without exhaling

The mask should stay stuck to your face until you exhale through your nose. If it doesn't, it's not a good fit.

As far as snorkels go -- I wouldn't get anything fancy. If you get a normal one and learn to clear it by exhaling hard through it as you surface, you'll be able to use the cheap rental snorkels you'll come across in your travels.

I know the sets on tours and rented on the beaches are not expensive ones. I'm wondering how much difference there is in those and ones you can get at Walmart/Target. I don't need an expensive set, I'm more concerned with sanitation and germs... Any suggestions? Would I be ok with an inexpensive set as long as the mask fits ok?

Thanks!

if you are not concerned about the quality then yes walmart brand would do , but remember you get what you pay for , you can get a good round mask with silicon for about $15 to $20 online at just about any dive store. I would atleast check on a better mask and then save money on fins and snorkel.

Because of the way my cheekbones are, I never was able to find a mask that didn't leak. Recently I bought a silicone one, and problem solved. Because of my moustache, it can take a couple of tries to get it positioned just right. But once I found the spot, it never leaked.

As far as stuff from a big box department store. Your biggest concern will be with straps on the mask or rear of the fins breaking. When I was looking for gear on line, I read a lot of reviews of the stuff Walmart and other stores sell, lots of straps breaking.

I bought a lot of gear from Leisurepro.com They frequently have good sales, and sometimes free shipping. Lot's of their gear has been reviewed by buyers too. They will keep taking stuff back, until it's right, and they pay return shipping. True that probably wouldn't be an issue if you buy from a local shop......

I bought a snorkel that didn't cost much, but had great reviews. The purge valve is a cheapy affair that leaks. The leak wasn't so bad that I was inhaling water, but the gurgling of the water in it just annoys the heck out of me. But, a quick blow and it was cleared out again. I snorkel here at home, so I'll use it this summer, and buy a better one next year.

Flippers..... I bought new full sized flippers that were advertized as very flexable, and therfore easy on your calf muscles. They worked okay on the surface, but if I dove under it was like I wasn't wearing them for the first ten kicks or so. If you intend to dive down some, don't buy highly flexable fins.

Agree with the fit recommendation. The stuff you will get from a reputable dive shop is going to use a lot better quality materials (medical grade silicon instead of industrial grade). As for a mustache, one good solution is to get some of that silicon lubricant (get the food grade stuff) and rub it on your facial hair. It helps to seal your mask and since it's also silicon, it won't degrade your mask seals.

I personally run a scubapro twin valve shotgun 2 snorkel that has a two bails and the water drains from it almost as fast as it comes in.

For fins, avoid overly flexible ones, they don't push water well. Instead of pushing water, they flex and so you lose all the power of your kick. I like the scubapro twin jets, but don't usually use them. My wife swears by her apollo biofins. Split fins will give you a lot of the calve relief that you want with really flexible fins, but they are a bit more pricey. I actually personally prefer regular old-fashioned scubapro jetfins. They are not split (which I like because I can do a lot of different kicks that are not possible with split fins. I also make sure to have a save a dive kit that includes an extra mask strap, extra fin strap and an extra snorkel attachment.

As to the dry/wet snorkel, I like a wet, but other swear by a dry. I think that if you learn how to clear your snorkel well, you should be fine with a wet snorkel and they tend to be cheaper.

Another advantage of going to a good scuba shop is that they probably have a pool and will let you try stuff out in the pool before you buy it. See what you like that way, because with this equipment, there really is not a one-size-fits all solution.

In addition to an extra strap in your snorkel emergancy bag. Consider picking up some anti fog drops. a small bottle will last for a long long time. I started using it when my boys were young and clearing their lenses was one less thing for me to worry about. Now I appriciate the additional clean viewing time I get from using it instead of spit.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in your situation a couple of years ago, and I spent my money on a mid-to high-range mask and snorkel, as well as a good set of fins. If I was doing it all again, I'd spend the fin money on the best mask and snorkel available (assuming comfortable fit, etc.). I do almost no snorkeling at home; all done on vacation. Which makes packing the fins a big concern, due to space and weight. I've found that rental fins are going to work easily as well, and are not very expensive to boot! Just my perspective. Good luck!

As others recommended, visit a local dive shop.

In case the dive shop doesn't tell you, the mask is precoated for protection while in stock. You'll want to remove that coating. Ordinary toothpaste works well. Rub it in and rinse off. Repeat 2 or 3 times.

As to mask fit:

Mask Fitting

How many times have you gone into a dive store, tried a mask that seemed to fit just great, got on an airplane to halfway around the world, jumped into the water and the mask leaked? There seems to be a nearly universal way to try a mask, which unfortunately happens to be the wrong way. Put the mask on, inhale through your nose and guess what? The mask fits. Right? Wrong!

The big mistake is that no one dives or snorkels with a vacuum in their mask or shouldn't be if they are. By inhaling through the nose, an unnatural seal is created. Some divers have tried on masks that don't even come close to fitting but as soon as they inhale, a tight seal is created. While diving though, they are not constantly trying to inhale through their nose (which is what the store clerk told them to do) and now the mask leaks.

Someone told a tale of a dive store that displays all masks without straps. The idea apparently is to check that a really good vacuum makes a really good fit. Once again, no one dives trying to inhale through their nose constantly and without a strap no less.

Almost all modern masks have an outer seal and a narrower inner seal. This inside seal covers everywhere except just under the nose. If both of these seals touch the face than the odds of that mask fitting and not leaking are very good. This is done by putting the mask on with the strap loose, but in place, and then tightening it to what would be normal if you were diving. Some divers who have had very bad masks are in the habit of over tightening the strap on a new mask in hopes of a better seal. Don't do that especially while trying masks for fit.

The next step takes a second person or a mirror. Look around the entire inside of the mask checking to see that the inner seal touches everywhere. It is very important not to inhale through the nose which forces the mask seals to touch if they didn't naturally. Next check the outside seal the same way.

If the inner seal is not touching the face, especially next to the side of the eyes, it is likely the mask won't work well. But do check everywhere around the inside. The outer seal might keep water from dripping in but not as well as if both seals touch. Make sure the seals do not cut across any hairline or eyebrows. Also that the side seals are not right at the edge of the eye.

One other problem can occur when someone laughs, smiles or even squints. This motion creates lines or wrinkles next to the nose. Sometimes this makes a passage where water pours in. Almost every mask will leak when this happens. So don't laugh! Occasionally, depending on the person, these wrinkles may remain even after they stop laughing. In this case it may be necessary to straighten the face by pulling down or sideways on the cheeks. Again this is not necessarily a mask problem. So don't run out and buy a new mask.

If absolutely necessary, to keep everyone happy, you can now inhale slightly to check any unseen leaks. Sometimes a mask leaks around the glass. This is very unusual and is a one off problem, not the design of the mask. You can check this by holding the mask with the face plate parallel to the floor and putting water in the mask. If the face plate seal is faulty, drops of water will appear on the outside.

Don't be fooled by the size of a mask's frame and lenses. This has little if anything to do with how a masks fits. People will look for what seems like a narrow or wide mask, depending, but what counts is the size of the skirt where your face is actually touching the mask. An exaggerated example but if the lens of a mask is 1 foot wide but the skirt is only 4 inches, this would fit a rather narrow face but the mask looks huge.

With literally 10's of dozens of masks on the market, there is one that will fit. It may take awhile to find but it is out there.

• 1 month later...

I really hope this helps... I go snorkeling about 3-4 times a year... I stay on top and look down.. never do I dive down unless I am picking up a shell. I've been doing this for about 3 years now. I have used the same equipment each and every time.

Snorkel (Oceanic) $12.00

Fins (Imprex Tri-Ex) $79.00

Mask (Tusa) $59.99 on sale from $77.00 (stays in case when not in use)

extra velcro strap $7.00

This way, I know that only MY mouth, feet and face will be on these. If they get damaged, it will be MY fault. My friends and family members use the "sets" from Wal-Mart, Target for $20. I normally have to buy new ones every year...just for them!

To me.. it's a good investment versus buying several sets every year.

• 3 weeks later...

These guys have all given great advice on selecting a good fitting mask. I thought I would throw my two cents in for those economically minded folks.

Most large dive shops have a used mask section. You can try them on for a good fit and get a high quality mask for 1/2 to 1/3 rd the new price. Most people buy ill fitting masks online and sell them to a dive shop so they can pick out a mask in person. Most dive shops will offer limited guarantees on the used masks as well to ensure your satisfaction with the condition of the mask. One of our dive shops here in Denver has as many used mask styles as new masks. Just a thought...

Also to jump on the band wagon, having a well fitting mask and good snorkel really improves the quality of your snorkeling. Case in point we just spent a week snorkeling with family members - we have had our own stuff for a couple of years now. We were able to stay out 3x as long as everyone else because we weren't having masks leak, snorkels filled with salt water and leg cramps from ill fitting fins. Also we had rash guards which prevented sun burn (others burnt) and getting cold, inflatable vests - we could dive down or stay on top for photos. If you love snorkeling it improves the experience, and if you only make it out to the ocean once a year for a week you want to make the most of your time and get the most time in the water. You don't have to spend a fortune to get well fitting gear.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wear bifocal glasses (contacts won't work) and am concerned about visibility. Can you wear glasses under a mask or does that break the seal? Do they make prescription masks or are these horribly expensive? We'll just be vacation-snorkelers and won't be going very deep. Taking our first Caribbean Cruise in February and would really love to snorkel in Bonaire and Dominica.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have used Rain-X on my mask for several years with great success. Fogging does not happen ! I also use it on our 2 cars and one truck.:D

Regular rain-x or the anti fog? Any issues with the chemicals and your eyes?

We've never used Rain-X, but instead of anti-fogging drops we just rub a drop of dishwashing detergent inside on the lense. Then splash the mask around in the water before putting it on your face. I've also heard of using baby shampoo the same way. As long as you don't use to much, and splash it around it's never bothered our eyes at all.

Once you have your own mask be sure to clean the lense with toothpaste (just rub it around and rinse a couple of times), to remove a film that is left there in manufacturing. Be sure to rinse out all your equipement after you use it, and let it dry out of the sun. You really weren't planning on using that shower in your cabin were you?

Archived