Do they still serve bread pudding?

rmmm

I haven't cruised since 2004 and I was wondering if HAL still serves that wonderful bread pudding with the delicious creamy sauce on the Lido at lunch? I had it every day at lunch on my last cruise because it was just so delicious. Please tell me they still serve it.

Absolutely. I was stuffing my face with it just last week. :)

Often a couple of varieties are available--the usual one, maybe with raisins, and then a variation. I've enjoyed the chocolate one and the version with strawberries in it last week was just scrumptious. Recipes are sometimes set out next to the bread pudding station and I have noticed slight differences between the various ships' versions of the recipe.

On the S and R class ships it's been self-serve in my experience; on the Vista class ships, they serve you. At least they did the last time I was on one. I'd prefer to get my own; I can put more sauce on then!

You might want to plan on attacking the bread pudding station as soon as you board the ship on your next HAL cruise. I have it on great authority (mine) that there is no need to bother with eating a healthy lunch first. :D

Edit: cross-posting!

Recipes are sometimes set out next to the bread pudding station and I have noticed slight differences between the various ships' versions of the recipe.

I KNOW someone's going to ask, so the answer in advance is... :D Here's the version I got on the MS Ryndam last month, by Executive Chef Karl Eller.

Ryndam Bread Pudding Recipe

Bread Filling:

1 1/2 lb White toast or sandwich bread

3 oz. melted butter

8 oz. raisins

zest of 1 lemon

Rum and Grand Marnier to taste

Pudding Filling:

1 1/3 qt Milk

6 Eggs

3 Egg Yolks

11 oz Sugar

1 Vanilla Bean

Cinnamon to taste

Preparation:

1) Cut bread in about 1 inch cubes, sprinkle with melted butter and slightly toast in oven.

2) Boil milk with half the amount of sugar, add vanilla bean and lemon zests

3) Whip eggs with the other half of sugar - slowly add hot milk, while whisking and combine with the rest of the ingredients

4) Place filling in a buttered mold, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Set mold in a 'Water Bath' in the oven at 330 degrees for 40 minutes.

Vanilla Sauce:

1 qt Milk

10 Egg Yolks

12 oz. Sugar

1 Vanilla Bean

Preparation:

1) Bring milk and sugar to boil; add cut vanilla bean and let cool down for a minute.

2) Beat egg yolks and slowly add hot milk while whipping the egg yolks.

3) Put in a hot water bath and constantly whip sauce until it gets thick. Do not bring to a boil! Arrange the cut bread pudding on a mirror of vanilla sauce.

Variation:

Sprinkle bread pudding with icing sugar and serve with hot cherries or vanilla ice cream!

Bon Appétit!

OMG, I LOVE old fashioned bread pudding. My grandma used to make it for me - years and years ago! :p Going on my first HAL cruise end of May and can't wait, I'll get it first. I'm so excited! :D

The first thing I hit when I board a HAL ship is the Lido to get my bread pudding fix! Then I can relax and have an adult beverage at the Lido Bar while awaiting the "cabins are ready" announcement. ----Penny

I KNOW someone's going to ask, so the answer in advance is... :D Here's the version I got on the MS Ryndam last month, by Executive Chef Karl Eller.

Ryndam Bread Pudding Recipe

Bread Filling:

1 1/2 lb White toast or sandwich bread

3 oz. melted butter

8 oz. raisins

zest of 1 lemon

Rum and Grand Marnier to taste

Pudding Filling:

1 1/3 qt Milk

6 Eggs

3 Egg Yolks

11 oz Sugar

1 Vanilla Bean

Cinnamon to taste

Preparation:

1) Cut bread in about 1 inch cubes, sprinkle with melted butter and slightly toast in oven.

2) Boil milk with half the amount of sugar, add vanilla bean and lemon zests

3) Whip eggs with the other half of sugar - slowly add hot milk, while whisking and combine with the rest of the ingredients

4) Place filling in a buttered mold, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Set mold in a 'Water Bath' in the oven at 330 degrees for 40 minutes.

Vanilla Sauce:

1 qt Milk

10 Egg Yolks

12 oz. Sugar

1 Vanilla Bean

Preparation:

1) Bring milk and sugar to boil; add cut vanilla bean and let cool down for a minute.

2) Beat egg yolks and slowly add hot milk while whipping the egg yolks.

3) Put in a hot water bath and constantly whip sauce until it gets thick. Do not bring to a boil! Arrange the cut bread pudding on a mirror of vanilla sauce.

Variation:

Sprinkle bread pudding with icing sugar and serve with hot cherries or vanilla ice cream!

Bon Appétit!

Do you really think they make it from scratch with real ingredients? I figured it was some kind of mix.

Do you really think they make it from scratch with real ingredients? I figured it was some kind of mix.

It doesn't seem very labor intensive especially if you are making massive batches at a time, so I would guess they probably do make it. Then again I'm new to HAL and haven't had it (yet) so I can't comment based on experience. I can only comment after looking at the recipe.

Nutrioso has it exactly right. First, board ship. Two, get bread pudding. Three, everything else. :D

At least, that's what I do. Above all, do not board so late that you have to do stuff like the Muster Drill when you haven't even had your bread pudding!

My reason for thinking it's not made from a mix is that the sauce especially is just a tad different (but all are good!) from ship to ship. If they were using a mix I think it would be very uniform in taste and texture because the same mix would be used by all of the kitchens.

I can't believe I missed the bread pudding!!! How was I on the Eurodam for a week and not see it :confused:

well, it is not as if that is the only dessert .. and they usually have it off to the side on some of the ships. too bad, you did indeed miss a great thing.

harry

On our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam, I had to look for the bread pudding station.

But once found, it was a feeding frenzy to be sure, with fellow cruiser patiently waiting

in line for their serving. Have fun!

I haven't cruised since 2004 and I was wondering if HAL still serves that wonderful bread pudding with the delicious creamy sauce on the Lido at lunch? I had it every day at lunch on my last cruise because it was just so delicious. Please tell me they still serve it.

As of this weekend on Amsterdam, yes :)

As I recall on our 65 day cruise on the Amsterdam this past fall they served both vanilla and a sinful chocolate bread pudding! The chocolate version was new to me but just as habit forming as the vanilla.

Archived