How do HAL's SS cabins compare with Princess' mini-suites?

novembre

We're thinking of an autumn New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess and wondering how the cabins compare with those on the larger HAL ships. (We've only been on the Eurodam in a full suite, but if going again we'd choose the SS category...plently large enough for 2 people. And we weren't impressed with the suite perks....never got the promised corsage & boutonniere on formal night, the food in the Neptune Lounge was just so-so, and we never used room service....so next time it's SS for us. But I will say the suite was very nice. and very spacious, and the bathroom and dressing area too, but really not worth the extra cost, imo).

So, is anyone familiar with the SS category cabins on the larger HAL ships and the mini-suites on Princess? How do the balconies compare?

Comments or advice most appreciated!

Nov

The Caribbean Princess mini-suite (I was in D301) was of the long and narrow shape. The sofa area is beyond the bedroom area. On the other hand, the Westerdam mini-suite (8075) was much wider and felt much larger. The bedroom area was to the left and the sofa area was to the right. In other words, you don't have to walk around the bed to get to the sofa area or the balcony.

Sorry, but I cannot recall the balcony sizes!

I can only give you a comparison of a HAL SS (Oosterdam) to a mini suite on the Golden, Star & Coral Princess. I'll take the HAL SS over a Princess mini suite any day. The SS cabins on HAL have double sinks in the bathroom Princess has 1 sink, SS has actual medicine cabinets on each side of the vanity Princess has 3 open shelves, SS has a tub with a shower plus a seperate shower and tub is whirlpool Princess has just tub & shower combo, SS has a much larger balcony and it's covered Princess mini suite balcony is small and most are not covered a few are, SS balcony furniture looks nicer Princess has that white plastic stuff and I like the layout of the SS better than the mini suite as previously stated. The mini suites on Princess had 2 televisions which seemed like a waste to me unless you bring children who play video games. The beds on HAL are sooo much more comfortable than Princess and the bedding on HAL beats Princess. This is just my opinion.

Diane

We sail on the SS (or SY) when on HAL, the Junior Suite when on RCL, and the minisuite on Princess. The bathroom on the HAL is the best - jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and two sinks. I like the square configuration of the cabin as well. The balcony is the smallest of the three lines, however.

The Princess minisuite is long and thin, but it has two televisions. The uncovered balcony is great for tanning and is quite large. The bathroom is nothing special.

The RCL junior suite also has the square configuration, which is much more comfortable to move around. It is a little bigger than the SS on HAL. The balcony on the JS is much larger than on HAL. The bathroom is nowhere near as nice.

In summary, the cabin on RCL, mixed with the bathroom on HAL, and the balcony on Princess would be ideal. If it is a choice between HAL and Princess, HAL winds, hands down. That is why our next two cruises will be on HAL. The JS on RCL beats both of the other lines, but it costs quite a bit more.

In addition to the square footage, look at the configuration. A larger, fairly square cabin is easy to move around - you will find that in the SS on HAL. The minisuite on Princess is very long, but narrow, so there is very little space between the foot of the bed and the wall.

M steve I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe Princess did some upgrades and made the mini suite balconies bigger than last time I was on them. I also thought the balconies on the HAL SS were bigger than the Princess min suites.

Diane

My definition of "Suite" is an accommodation where I can read or watch TV with a lamp on and my husband can sleep in a quiet, dark room. None of the cabins that we have had on any ship fit this description because there is no partition between the sleeping area and the sofa area. This makes it difficult for a sleep-challenged person such as myself because I don't want to disturb him by staying up late.

The mini-suites that we are discussing on this thread are actually just larger cabins!

Unfortunately, the real multi-room suites on ships are out of consideration, as we would rather take more frequent trips even if it means lesser accommodations!

Do most lines include the label "suite" for larger cabins? As ilovhywd says that doesn't match the usual two (or more) definition of a suite in a hotel. At least using the term "mini-suite" is distinct and seems more honest.

My definition of "Suite" is an accommodation where I can read or watch TV with a lamp on and my husband can sleep in a quiet, dark room. None of the cabins that we have had on any ship fit this description because there is no partition between the sleeping area and the sofa area. This makes it difficult for a sleep-challenged person such as myself because I don't want to disturb him by staying up late.

The mini-suites that we are discussing on this thread are actually just larger cabins!

Unfortunately, the real multi-room suites on ships are out of consideration, as we would rather take more frequent trips even if it means lesser accommodations!

The SB (deluxe verandah suite) on the Eurodam has the sofa and reading light far enough away from the head of the bed that I could sit up and read after my husband retired. We had to put a towel over the lampshade, which darkened the room quite a bit, but it was fine for reading, and my husband had no trouble falling asleep.

This type of accomodation is rather expensive, but maybe worth it to you. The bathrooms are wonderful, and there is really a lot of closet space, more than we needed.

Thank you all so much for your very helpful responses to my post. I have a much better idea of what to expect now.

But it's depressing. It really sounds like the CP cabins are going to be disappointing.

I so wish that HAL had a NY-NY, Canada/New England itinerary. Or even from Boston, Baltimore or Philly and return. But they don't. So Princess is the next best choice I suppose.

Again, thanks to all of you who took the time to write.

Nov

We are scheduled for an SY on an upcoming Zuiderdam cruise, so can't give you any input on that category yet, however we have stayed in a mini-suite on the Golden Princess. We enjoyed it very much - and if you have never stayed in a category above a balcony (especially on Princess - no couch, etc.) you will certainly enjoy the extra space and sitting room provided. We love cruising Canada/New England and have done it twice. So, go on your cruise and have a great time!

Archived