Transatlantic (Northern) or Western Meditarenian

tacritic

I am debating between taking the Eurodam 16 days in August from Copenhagen to NY with stops in Scotland, Island, Greenland, Nova Scotia or Grand Princes 14 days Roundtrip from London to Rome. Has anyone visited Island, Greenland, Scotland. Is it worth visiting?

We have enjoyed both Itineraries.

On the London/Rome itinerary if you plan to do a post or pre or both you will have a advantage of being able to visit two cities with lots of rich history. And of course all of the other ports on your itinerary.

We have visited many ports in Scotland. It is a very pretty area. I have also been to Iceland and Greenland. I am glad that we had the chance to visit each of these ports. You will be more limited to what you see there.

In Greenland, we walked around the town and spent a few hours doing that.

In Iceland we took one of the tours offered. Many include a stop at the Blue Lagoon.

To me you just need to think through do you want to do a cruise that is more port intensive vs one that has more sea days (both have many advantages).

Keith

It depends what you are expecting.

If you like warm weather go to the Med.

If you come from a warm area and don`t mind cold and rain then the Northern cruise would be interesting.

The weather is very unpredictable. On Saturday we were out and about with short sleaves :) but today it is cold and wet and a heavier jacket is necessary. :(

Keith,

Thank you fpr your answer. Here are a few points to consider.

1. GRAND PRINCES 14 days (LONDON-ROME-LONDON)

In the past I have sailed on the Grand Princess.

I have also cruiised to Rome, Barcelona, Monte Carlo.

I have not visited Gibroltar, Cartahena, Malaga.

2. EURODAM 16 days (COPENHAGEN to NY)

I have never crossed the Atlantic and never visited ports in Scotland, Greenland, Island, Nova Scotia.

If you would decide, which cruise should I take in August?

Of course, I'm going to say Transatlantic because you get to visit Scotland. It may be small but it is very beautiful. You don't say which port in Scotland you would stop at. The west and east coasts are very different. Greenock - west coast, Leith - east coast and 5 to 10 minutes from the centre of town where you will find lots and lots of things to do and see. Anywhere you go in Scotland is steeped in centuries of ancient history.

In say that, being Northern European I have visited the Med. area countless times. This area too is very beautiful and also steeped in centuries of ancient history.

A point to note - contrary to popular belief it is not always raining and cold in the northern part of Europe! We do get lots of sunshine (sometimes :D). When we did the Baltic/Russia cruise last June the weather was fantastic with temperatures in the high 80s.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Archived