Ports are being canceled now

Vanessa L

This is all so overblown. 36,000 people die every year in the US alone from REGULAR flu. 150 people have died from swine flu in Mexico (nobody in the US) and the media freaks out. I don't get it.

what's this rule people have talked about? I've seen it mentioned several times, that a ship can't not dock at a non-US port?

Passenger Vehicle Services Act (commonly miscalled the Jones Act). It requires foreign owned ships to make a foreign port stop when cruising from the US (general rule - there are exceptions, rules for roundtrip vs. one way itineraries, etc).

Basically Carnival, RCCl, etc cannot sail a cruise out of a US port without making a foreign port stop sometime during the cruise.

what's this rule people have talked about? I've seen it mentioned several times, that a ship can't not dock at a non-US port?

Have you ever heard someone say "Stop outsourcing our jobs!" Contrary to popular opinion, it isn't a recent phenomena. The PSA was passed in the 1880's and later amended, to protect our jobs in the shipping industry from being outsourced. Here we are over a century later having to deal with this albatross. the American passenger shipping industry died decades ago but the protectionist law lingers on.

Passenger Vehicle Services Act (commonly miscalled the Jones Act). It requires foreign owned ships to make a foreign port stop when cruising from the US (general rule - there are exceptions, rules for roundtrip vs. one way itineraries, etc).

Basically Carnival, RCCl, etc cannot sail a cruise out of a US port without making a foreign port stop sometime during the cruise.

Have you ever heard someone say "Stop outsourcing our jobs!" Contrary to popular opinion, it isn't a recent phenomena. The PSA was passed in the 1880's and later amended, to protect our jobs in the shipping industry from being outsourced. Here we are over a century later having to deal with this albatross. the American passenger shipping industry died decades ago but the protectionist law lingers on.

See? THIS is why I come to these boards!! I learn so much stuff here. Both of these are new to me and it's interesting to me to learn about the history of why things are the way they are.

A bit of history. The flu of 1917-18 began with a light outbreak in the spring. It did disappear mostly in the summer. But returned with a vengance in the fall. That is a rather typical pattern for these things. It has already been noted that this is a very possible senario with this version.

Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.

And that virus killed 30 million people worldwide. :eek:

And that virus killed 30 million people worldwide. :eek:

I don't think they had the advanced anti-viral medicine back then that they do today. Currently, 2 drugs are effective against this virus, so I don't think we will see 30 million deaths unless it mutates again and becomes resistant to all anti-virals. In that case, I'm stowing away on the next rocket to the moon :eek:

I don't think they had the advanced anti-viral medicine back then that they do today. Currently, 2 drugs are effective against this virus, so I don't think we will see 30 million deaths unless it mutates again and becomes resistant to all anti-virals. In that case, I'm stowing away on the next rocket to the moon :eek:

They didn't have intercontinental air travel back then either. What they did have was soldiers traveling by ship all around the globe. The origins of the pandemic are still debated. The common suspect then as now is east-central asia but some theorize the pandemic began in Kansas. The Spanish flu as it came to be known almost certainly didn't begin in Spain.

The Spanish Flu killed twice as many people as the the Meat Grinder. (WW1) Most of the victims were healthy young people, mid 20's to mid 30's, go figure. There strong immune systems caused them to drown. :(

The swine flu made it to Florida now. Just received a email from Palm Beach post saying they have a confirmed case of it at Disney world..:(

Actually, there have not been any confirmed cases in the Orlando area. They are currently investigating a potential "high risk" case, but nothing has been confirmed yet:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/orl-bk-swine-flu-orlando-042909,0,6757216.story

Actually, there have not been any confirmed cases in the Orlando area. They are currently investigating a potential "high risk" case, but nothing has been confirmed yet:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/orl-bk-swine-flu-orlando-042909,0,6757216.story

That is certainly good news, though it wouldn't surprise me to see it there before this is all over.

How unbelieveably ironic.....we are having the biggest horse race in history here today.....and the bets are on!! How fun then that we can see how our bets are doing as the "How dare Carnival" posts roll in. I'm one fer currently :D

Ok VanessaL,

I'll see your 6 first time posters and 2 oldtimers and raise you 3 old timers and 7 first time posters, with an eventual thread being pulled due to inappropriate aggression towards OP!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone who has three cruises booked (November 2009 on the Conquest, February 2010 on the Ecstacy and September 2010 on Dream) it concerns me about the flu. Do I want to miss ports????? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!! Do I want to be safe and not sick the whole trip and upon my return, EVEN BETTER!!!!!!! Our cruise in February 2010, is to Progreso and Cozumel. I'm hoping this whole swine flu thing will have run it's course by then because that cruise would end up being a cruise to NOWHERE!!!!!!! Kinda takes the fun out of it but we do love sea days. I would just hate it because we are taking our 4 adult children and 2 girlfriends with us and none of them have been on a cruise before.

I have also seen how this swine flu scare has effected Carnival Stock. As a shareholder, I think I'm more concerned about the stock than my missing a couple of ports. Hey, more sea days means more DODs!!!!!!!!!

The same ones who b---- that a port was cancelled are the same ones who complain when someone on board got sick and should have been quaranteened.

They WANT to be mad.

Oh I up the anty to 7 newbies, 3 oldies and 1 newbie claiming to be an oldie.:D

My 2 cents worth,

:rolleyes:Brad:rolleyes:

I want to make a side bet.... Nixie will rear her missing head for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the current betting if you've forgotten how much you wagered, LOL!

I just came back from the 4/25 Inspiration Cruise and in all honesty, was i a little mad? yes...well it was my first cruise! But i am happy that we didn't stop at mexico. They obviously care more about the passengers health and safety rather than putting the whole ship at danger. Whoever rants, screams, yells and argues that carnival is at fault or what be it is STUPID!!!

Im not dying just for mexico lol :p....thats just an excuse for me to plan my second cruise :D!

I just came back from the 4/25 Inspiration Cruise and in all honesty, was i a little mad? yes...well it was my first cruise! But i am happy that we didn't stop at mexico. They obviously care more about the passengers health and safety rather than putting the whole ship at danger. Whoever rants, screams, yells and argues that carnival is at fault or what be it is STUPID!!!

Im not dying just for mexico lol :p....thats just an excuse for me to plan my second cruise :D!

What a good attitude! Sorry this happened to you on your first cruise. I hope you enjoyed being on a cruise ship. Book another!

Archived