?? for NJ'ers re: Hotel

Wondering how this hotel is:

Best Western

I can't find anything under 100.00 in the NJ area (unless I'm not looking in the right places!). We're only cruising for 5 nights so parking will only be 60.00, so that makes the room price 85.00. I'd rather stay closer but don't want to spend over 100.00 for a room, on top of 60.00 for parking.

So, I'd love to hear opinions on this hotel.

I did read where someone got a NJ hotel on priceline for 40.00, so I may try priceline first before booking something direct.

Thanks!

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If you don't mind staying by Newark airport you can get a decent hotel for $69-$79 a night if you book far enough in advance. The hotel will provide you free shuttle service to the AP; from there you can take public transportation to the pier. The hotel should also be able to hook you up w/ a car service.

Trish

We're driving from Cleveland so we'll have our car. I am still debating over staying about 2 hours away or staying in NJ. It will depend on how much the room will be. But, I don't want to stay in anything icky just for the sake of staying nearby, know what I mean? Plus, I don't want to have to take public transportation if I'm lugging around my bags so if I stay somewhere with parking, they have to be able to get us back and forth to the pier. The Best Western said they have 24 hour shuttle service to the pier, that's why I was wondering about the quality of the hotel.

Thanks for the info, though.

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Pam,

Point well taken. By decent, I meant clean & safe but no frills.

On our last cruise we had a 6 am flight & nobody wanted to drive across the state at the hours required to make that flight. We stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott at the AP for $69 + tax.

I'm being vague about the transportation to/from the pier b/c I have no 1st hand knowledge. I know there's a light rail service from the AP.

Your other option may be trying to stay somewhere along the Route 80 or Route 78 corridor. You'd be about 40 mins away from the pier. Many suburban hotels would let you park & a limo from Morristown, Parsippany, Summit or someplace like that shouldn't be too costly.

Trish

Trish, I used to stay in Morris county when returning to the state and while I know of a great hotel, the price is well above $100 for the night. On the other hand Pam the hotel has a sizeable parking lot and might throw in free parking for your week. If you want this hotel name let me know.

I live in south jersey and find that the hotel rates in n. jersey are exhorbitant all of the time. Depending on when the ship leaves and when you might want to arrive I would consider staying 2 hours away in Stroudsburg, PA. There is a Hampton Inn (less than 5 years old) on I-80 as well as Holiday Inn and several others. The up side of this is:

Stroudsburg, while resort-ish is primarily a ski area and room rentals are down in May making rooms more affordable.

Your clock tells me you are leaving on a Monday which would have you staying a Sunday night - not a big stay night since there is little business and industry in the area.

PA taxes on rooms are less.

A less urban environment may make you more relaxed for your day ahead.

The proximity to I-80 and restaurants will make starting your day less stressful. NJ highways do not necessarily have ez-on/ez-off interchanges.

If you choose an I-80 hotel in PA remember that rush hour on I-80 will add an hour to your travel. Leave after 9 a.m. for best results.

They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Navigator Of The Seas 1/04

river:

Thanks so much for the info. I have been looking at hotels in PA...I forgot about the tax rate so that is even more of a reason to stay in PA. I got a travel guide and am researching PA hotels as we speak! I am hoping to find something with free breakfast, as well! We actually sail on Sunday so traffic shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!!!

Pam

until Voyager

Pam,

Let me know what you find. Ive had no luck with priceline for Jersey City and like you we are driving and arent sure what is and isnt a good place to stay. Was hoping to find a nice place with a view of the NY skyline that doesnt cost a fortune. Might have to rethink air travel

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-05001997 Majesty of the Seas

1998 Sovereign of the Seas

2000 Radiance of the Seas

2003 Grandeur of the Seas

There is a brand new Hilton on Staten Island,NY, 10 minutes from Bayonne and 15 minutes from the SI ferry if you want NYC. Also there are a few new hotels accross from the Jersey Garden Mall which about 5 minutes from Newerk Airport.

Good Luck VOS730

I have not been able to find anything decent in the NJ area for less than 100.00/night - and no breakfast included! I always like to stay somewhere with at least a continental breakfast, because that saves us at least 10-20, more if the whole family is staying.

I have definitely decided on PA...I think we can get a nice room for quite a bit less than staying in NJ.

Pam

until Voyager

There is a Courtyard by Marriott and a Country Inn and Suites across from the Jersey Garden Mall in Elizabeth (about 2 miles from Newark Airport). Both hotels are only a few years old and are under $100/night on weekends including a continental breakfast.

Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEL67:

There is a Courtyard by Marriott and a Country Inn and Suites across from the Jersey Garden Mall in Elizabeth (about 2 miles from Newark Airport). Both hotels are only a few years old and are under $100/night on weekends including a continental breakfast.

Dale<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the area nice? Do you think the hotels are nice, as well? I have been 'burned' a few times by not knowing where I was staying and so that is why I'm so leary. I'm all about saving money and getting a good value, but will not compromise quality or cleanliness!!

Pam

until Voyager

Pam --

I went to Expedia & typed in Parsippany NJ & your dates. The best deal seems to be a courtyard by marriot either in East Hanover / Whippany or Parsippany for $69 per night. You'd be about 25 minutes from the pier.

The Ramada Inn at Newark Airport was $65, the Howard Johnsons was $59, Whyndham $79, the big Sheraton was $89.

Staying in PA isn't a bad option but what are you going to do w/ your car & will the savings on the hotel room make up for the cost of the limo ride to the pier?

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Trish

We are going to park at the pier (12.00/day). I've only seen a couple of hotels that offer parking while on the cruise and it would be equivalent to paying 100.00 for the room and parking at the pier. I really don't want to spend that much on a room the night before. (I'm being cheap!)

Thanks very much for the info!!!

Pam

until Voyager

There is a new Hampton Inn openning in Harrison, NJ (next to Newark) in the summer. It is in the process of being built. Harrison has a PATH station which can link to the light rail system (I think). I have no idea of rates or if you can leave the car. If you want to cab to the PATH it is only a few dollars. Cab fare from the airport to Harrison was $22 in November. No idea what it is now. Sorry I can't be of more help but I that is really all I know.

Pam,

I would steer clear of the the Jersey Garden hotels because you will want to have your car when you wake up (the area is one of the highest areas for stolen cars in the U.S. and most of those vehicles move directly to ships in Port Newark and off to Central America.) The hotels and malls have been built as a means of rehabbing the area. It isn't working.

The Parsippany and East Hanover areas are winners. East Hanover is a short jog to the Turnpike by way of I-280. Also check Livingston and Whippany, NJ.

They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Navigator Of The Seas 1/04

I have to agree, Parsippany would be ideal. Quite a few hotels. Convenient to shopping and restaraunts (which we don't have many of in NJ. icon_frown.gif ) And I'm sure you can find a cheap, but clean hotel off route 80...maybe on route. Wayne would be a good choice too.

I live in SOuth Orange, NJ -- to think the Parsippany hotels off of route 10 are 25 minutes form the pier -- I think is way off.

If you're lucky -- it'll be close to an hour. (assuming not am or pm rush hour)

Depending on where you are driving from -- there are also lots of hotels in the Meadowlands. And, I'd think again about the Jersey Gardens area hotels. The parking is *fairly* secure, although I wouldn't leave my car there long term. The mall is so packed on weekends -- overflow would be the hotels -- but they don't let anyone in without id!

Pete

Pete -- you've obviously never seen me drive icon_biggrin.gif W/o traffic -- on a Sunday morning there won't be much -- it's not too far.

The farther east Pam & her family go, the higher the hotel rate.

My feeling is as long as it's a "name brand" hotel you should be OK. Although I stayed in the Hilton in Huntington Long Island & it was pretty gross.

Trish

Originally posted by ILov2cruise:

RCCL lists this hotel for Bayonne

http://www.hudsonplazamotel.com/

Where on the RCCL webpage did you find this hotel info? This hotel and the other one mentioned as their "other location" are gross. I can't imagine RCCL recommending such a place, but I guess anything is possible. When I search for info on extending your stay pre and post cruise all that comes up are hotels in Manhattan.

BTW - the hotels in the Parsippany area are okay and most of the Secaucus hotels located closer to Bayonne are also decent. Just stay away from the anything with "Motor Inn" in the name and you'll be fine.

Archived