? re: discounts (past guest, senior, etc.) and timing

paminohio

For those that pay attention and know these things, can you tell me if once a discount is gone, does it ever show up again before sailing?

Specific to my situation...am going to book for June 1 on Destiny (due to unsurity of my schedule, won't be able book until probably Friday). The cruise rate has remained pretty steady for the past 4 weeks, but they have had different discounts available. As of now, I don't see ANY discounts offered. Since it's still 4 weeks til sailing, is there a chance they'd throw them up again before sailing? Does it depend on how full the ship is?

We are booking two cabins and have a senior, three past guests, one FL resident, and two OH residents (I can usually always find an OH discount) and I keep checking ALL of those!

AND, if I were to book now at full price and a resident discount came up do I get to take advantage of it (even if it is OBC) or since it's after final payment, I would not?

Thanks in advance for answering this question probably for the umpteenth time! (I did do a search but couldn't find this specific answer).

There's no telling what CCL will do to fill up the ship, but AFAIK the only one that can get anything (OBC, or reductions) that close to sailing is Early Saver, and you cannot get that one anymore.

Each discount has a limited # of cabins they will book with it. Once those cabins are booked, I rarely see it again. If I check cruises that are sailing in a month I only get a couple of discounts and then when I look it's usually only on one level of rooms, like inside, the rest will say N/A.

You wont' get any adjustments now final payment is past and it's too late to book ES.

PG is still open for that sailing.

You said you are only booking 2 cabins and have 3 past guests.

Just book 1 PG into each cabin.

If later after you have booked, a better discount comes up, just call and get the rate changed over to the senior or resident rate. (They will be lower than the PG)

Thanks so much for the responses. It's frustrating that I can't book until Friday, especially since I've been watching this cruise and I could have gotten better rates earlier.

Would my TA be able to tell me how full the ship is? I assume if I called Carnival direct I'd get a different answer depending on who I spoke to!

I would wait to book, because I would think that prices will come down because of cancellations. I know folks in July already concerned and wanting to cancel.

Id wait to see before I rushed to book right now, because once you book this close to June 1st you will be locked in and cannot get any further discounts.

Paminohio -

You probably already know to use the Blue "Quick Search - special Rates" box on the HOME page. When the seqarch gets you to your cruise, if any of these are currently being offered they will show-up as a separate Rate line below FunSelect, FunSaver and (Early Saver) rate lines.

These are all "Promo" rates periodically offered to boost lagging bookings for the Cruise. Therefore there's no reason they could not re-appear, but I have to say I don't recall seing them more than once for a cruise! It seems to me that the 55+ and Resident rates appear more like a month or two before sailing and the Past Guest for several to many months out.

If you book a Past Guest rate, and prior to Final Payment Deadline, a lower Past Guest Rate for your Cruise,Category is offered by Carnival, you should be able to get a downward price adjustment - but no longer after Final Payment Deadline. Same for 55+ and Resident rates.

If Early Saver rate is being offered for your cruise: The initial Early Saver booking rate should be substantially below the current FunSelect rate and probably a bit better than any Past Guest, 55+ or Resident rates being offered. With Early Saver you can get Price drops up to 2 days before siling, for any rate that you're eligible for.

If you're a Past Guest and Carnival advertises a lower Past Guest Rate than your current Early Saver Rate, you get the lower rate. Same for 55+ and for Residency. So, you could book Early Saver now, and subsequently your Past Guests take advantage of any lower Past Guest Rates offered up to two days before sailing. Similar for 55+ Guests and Your Residency eligible guests.

ken

Thanks for the tip, wonder if it will be some thing you can match with ES rates?

checkout the fine print in the ad and it will indicate what Bookings it can be combined with. Ofen it will say something like "for NEW bookings only" or "only combinable with FunSelect" ...... ken

Thanks for the tip, wonder if it will be some thing you can match with ES rates?

Any base price below ES rate you can apply for the reduction. (excludes the cash back offer. you cant take the cash back (OBC) and subtract it from the rate to get a lower base rate).

but if the rate itself is lower, yes you can get the new rate. just fill out the form.

Thanks for all the advice. I really want the Destiny for the 5-nights as it's the perfect itinary for us, but with a family of 5 I can do a 4-night on the Imagination (crappy itinary but it has waterworks) for a ton less so I'm really torn. Also, cruising out of Port Canaveral would be WAY more convenient for me (won't have to pay to park at pier as I have relatives there) and there is a Royal Caribbean 4-nighter that has a decent itinary (CocoCay) for a ton cheaper than the Destiny also. Although...I really want lobster and my kids want soft serve ice cream all day long LOL so Royal Caribbean is not top choice. Also, they don't have mini golf and my youngest really loves to play.

It's really a tough decision! I think I'll wait til Friday to see if they add discounts back ono the Destiny cruise and make my decision then.

Neither of those but husband is firefighter and RCL offers a ff rate on the cruise to CocoCay.

BUT...I've read such crappy things about that ship (Monarch (or Majesty...can't recall) that I'm afraid I'll hate it. As you can see, I've done the Fantasy class many times and we really love Carnival. I'm afraid to try something new for fear my kids will be disappointed and bored.

Archived