Final (?) Excursion Questions

scotlady

O.k. - had to cancel diving because of an ear problem, so we are looking for new excursion choices for Moorea.

Our first full day on Moorea is a Sunday - everything will be closed - so is there any point in renting a car for that day, or should we just take an excursion to see the sights? Which have people preferred - the off-road safari or the island drive & belvedere? (we are already taking a 4x4 excursion on Bora Bora).

Also would like to know if anyone has done either of the hiking/trekking excursions on Moorea? Or maybe Kayaking? We don't have any hiking or kayaking planned yet for the trip.

Thanks in advance for any & all help!

The island drive and belvedere is a bus trip. Pleasant, not particularly exciting. You see the Belvedere, which is important, and if I'm not mistaken, the agricultural station. Rum distillery for sure. Sedate.

I agree that the 4x4 would be similar to BB. It goes to many of the same places as the bus trip, but also up into the hills. You do get a spectacular view of the bays. Renting a car always works in Moorea, we did it and drove up to the Belvedere.

If it's near the end of your trip, I would try to get back into the water again, but that's me.

I don't think being there on a Sunday will be an issue. About a year ago we were in Moorea on a Saturday and Bora Bora on Sunday. Everything was in full operation.

Their economy revolves around tourism and the operators and vendors really woudn't close shop when a ship with 1,000's of folks anchors.

Hmmm . . . Wendy - good point about getting in the water again.

The second day at Moorea we are hoping to go on the photo tour (hoping, I say, because I hear it gets cancelled sometimes). Would like to get into the water after that, but it doesn't end until 12:30 and we leave port at five. So are there any opportunities for snorkeling on Moorea that don't involve a ship's excursion - in other words, any beaches near the tender drop-off point where we could go on our own (or take a taxi to) for just a couple of hours?

Also, I have heard the Bora Bora stingray excursion is very good - how is the lagoon discovery with snorkeling tour on Moorea?

And anyone else have any info about whether the shops/juice factory, etc are open on Sunday? In researching previous posts here, most people said they were closed, but perhaps they open just for the people on the ship's tours?

Scotlady,

I loved the Photo Adventure in Moorea. Renaud is an excellent guide and really does help with improving your photography. He will look at digital photos you take and give you suggestions for improvements.

I thought I was taking good photographs before, but using his suggestions, I really improved and now have great Tahiti photos hanging in the house.

He will take you up to "Magic Mountain" (which other tours do not do) for some great views. It requires a bit of walking, but well worth it.

He does limit the tour to 6 guests.

Bill

Hmmm . . . Wendy - good point about getting in the water again.

The second day at Moorea we are hoping to go on the photo tour (hoping, I say, because I hear it gets cancelled sometimes). Would like to get into the water after that, but it doesn't end until 12:30 and we leave port at five. So are there any opportunities for snorkeling on Moorea that don't involve a ship's excursion - in other words, any beaches near the tender drop-off point where we could go on our own (or take a taxi to) for just a couple of hours?

Also, I have heard the Bora Bora stingray excursion is very good - how is the lagoon discovery with snorkeling tour on Moorea?

And anyone else have any info about whether the shops/juice factory, etc are open on Sunday? In researching previous posts here, most people said they were closed, but perhaps they open just for the people on the ship's tours?

There are varied opinions about finding beaches in Moorea. Certainly if you have a car, you could drive to the public beach, Temae. It's apparently the best beach, but has limited snorkelling. So might be fun. I believe it's past the Pearl,, so not far from Cook's Bay.

The BB stingray excursion is *wonderful*! We've done it 3 times! Lagoon and snorkel in Moorea is nice too. This last time we did the catamaran sail with snorkel, during the day, and that snorkelling was darned fine.

No big loss about the juice factory/distillery. It's really just an opportunity to sell you stuff--yes, you get a free drink out of it, but...

...clip...

The BB stingray excursion is *wonderful*! We've done it 3 times! Lagoon and snorkel in Moorea is nice too. This last time we did the catamaran sail with snorkel, during the day, and that snorkelling was darned fine.

Quite a memorable excursion. Some of what will be seen:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sgione/CCUW?feat=directlink

Archived