Packing for May trip...

dixielandings

Ok - DH and I booked a cruise night before last for MAY! Are we crazy???

Anyway, we usually do the tropics this time of year - Alaska is new territory for us both. We've researched the lists, etc., but most of those cruisers are traveling later in the summer and I'm a little confused still on what to pack for spring. Add to that that I'm pregnant and would love to avoid having to go buy all new things for this trip (none of my winter clothes fit at this point) so I'm planning to borrow.

How cold is it going to be really? 50's? Colder? What about the whale-watching excursion? How should we dress for that?

Thanks for your input!

I've traveled Alaska in all the cruise timeframes, and guess what?? :) My list is ALWAYS the same. You need to consider a wide range of attire, with necessary, lined lightweight jacket, LAYERS- turtle necks/sweatshirts/tshirts. 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear, knit hat, gloves.

I don't think it is going to be that cold for you. Here it is, the end of April and it is getting into the 60's during the day (70's in Fairbanks). All of the snow has melted. Polar fleece and a good wind jacket along with thin gloves should do you just fine.

One thing about Southeast, is that when it's raining it could be in the 40's. Yes, it's been "warm" in the low 60's this past week, but it may not last. Pack layers, and then you should be well prepared for whatever the weather may be during your cruise. Have great trip up here!

I've got my layers taken care of. Now I am becoming concerned about what to wear on the ship during the day? On deck outside those layers will be great, but just not sure what to plan on just walking around during the day? Of course there are 4 port days, and that will be layers again, and the evenings will be dress casual or more, but I am thinking jeans and a shirt? Or just put on what will be okay for dinner so you don't have to run back to cabin just to change, again.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. DH and I are especially concerned about shoes. Our regular walking/running shoes don't seem to be the right choice for the weather. Any suggestions?

Could be??? If possible, a can of waterproof spray will go a long way. :) Two pair allow one to dry out, if needed.

We did Alaska the first week of June back in '07 sailing out of San Francisco. Our weather was great. We just needed a light jacket and long sleeve shirts underneath. Alaska cruises are different with people in their jeans, sweatshirts etc. not like the islands:) We had a little rain which didn't last long (I think in Sitka). We would love to go back it is an awesome cruise. Pictures just don't do it justice. Enjoy Alaska I know we did.

Carol

hi we are also doing alaska in may on the mercury,my friends think weare mad:mad:.

this is our 2 we have been to alaska and are counting down the days:cool:hope to see you on board

Archived