Dress attire for dinner

CRUISING71

We are cruising for 7 days, 2 nights are formal nights...but the rest of the night...do we have to dress up to eat in the dinning room? Can we wear short and t-shirt? Or do we have wear something a little more bit of business casual?

Thanks,

Tibbie

What cruiseline? Some do allow shorts and t-shirts on casual nights (Carnival) but RCCL for example does not allow shorts in the main dining room in the evenings. It's more typical though to see things like dockers or khakis, maybe jeans, and a golf shirt or polo shirt on casual nights.

Most cruiselines frown on shorts and tees at dinner. That attire is fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room, but long pants, capris, skirts, sundresses, etc...are the norm for dinner time on casual nights.

I am cruising the Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas June 7th for seven nights as a first time cruiser.

So in the main dining room casual summer dresses are okay on the casual nights? And how dressy/formal are the formal nights? My husband is not a "suit" kinda guy, I'm afraid. Will we have to skip that night or would slacks and a sport jacket be okay for him on formal night?

Hi,

It would be the Carnival Splendor. One more question...can my 13 years old boy wear slack and long sleeve button shirt for formal night without a jacket? Plus, do you think they would frown if he wears tennis shoe instead of dressing shoe?

I don't want to go out and buy a new pair of shoe which he will only wear once or twice on the cruise.

Thanks,

Tibbie

I am cruising the Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas June 7th for seven nights as a first time cruiser.

So in the main dining room casual summer dresses are okay on the casual nights? And how dressy/formal are the formal nights? My husband is not a "suit" kinda guy, I'm afraid. Will we have to skip that night or would slacks and a sport jacket be okay for him on formal night?

On casual nights, summer dresses are fine. So are things like capris and a cute top.

For formal nights slacks and a sport jacket would be perfectly fine.

Hi,

It would be the Carnival Splendor. One more question...can my 13 years old boy wear slack and long sleeve button shirt for formal night without a jacket? Plus, do you think they would frown if he wears tennis shoe instead of dressing shoe?

I don't want to go out and buy a new pair of shoe which he will only wear once or twice on the cruise.

Thanks,

Tibbie

On Carnival, slacks and a button down shirt would be fine for Cruise Elegant night on Carnival (it's no longer formal night). And tennis shoes should be fine for a teenager on Carnival.

Thanks WRP 96...

I read on Carnival website...they are not allow jean on regular night in the dinning room. Is that true or they relax a bit?

Thanks,

Tibbie

I believe jeans are allowed, just not holey jeans, but I would ask on the Carnival board to make sure.

This is an interesting question, I hope the original poster will not mind if I post a similar question on the thread that she started.

We're cruising to Alaska in 2010, with plans for adventuresome side trips at port calls and upon disembarkation. I would imagine that we will be wet and/or muddy fairly often and have to change clothes fairly often, so we plan to bring plenty of outdoor clothing.

I just read the fine print at Celebrity and noticed that jeans are considered unsuitable for everyday dinner attire. Does this mean that I will have to bring separate slacks and shoes JUST for dinner aboard the cruise ship, then lug them around unworn in my suitcase for the remainder of our Alaska adventure? We had already planned on skipping formal night for just this reason, now we have to wear "smart casual" to dinner every night?

I am half tempted to get a glue gun and glue some sequins on my sweat pants as dinner attire, lol. I am tall and finding any type of pants that are long enough is always a challenge. I was really just counting on jeans and outdoorwear.

This is an interesting question, I hope the original poster will not mind if I post a similar question on the thread that she started.

We're cruising to Alaska in 2010, with plans for adventuresome side trips at port calls and upon disembarkation. I would imagine that we will be wet and/or muddy fairly often and have to change clothes fairly often, so we plan to bring plenty of outdoor clothing.

I just read the fine print at Celebrity and noticed that jeans are considered unsuitable for everyday dinner attire. Does this mean that I will have to bring separate slacks and shoes JUST for dinner aboard the cruise ship, then lug them around unworn in my suitcase for the remainder of our Alaska adventure? We had already planned on skipping formal night for just this reason, now we have to wear "smart casual" to dinner every night?

I am half tempted to get a glue gun and glue some sequins on my sweat pants as dinner attire, lol. I am tall and finding any type of pants that are long enough is always a challenge. I was really just counting on jeans and outdoorwear.

Your answers are on the Celebrity board.

I've been on over 20 cruises on Celebrity, some on Alaska itineraries, and I can tell you, jeans are not seen in the main dining room at night unless someone has lost their luggage. Since you're a newbie, I'm guessing you don't realize how very fancy the main dining room is. The room itself is very lovely and elegant. I know that where I live, in restaurants of the same kind in town, you would never wear jeans. It's the same for a cruise on Celebrity. Their passengers tend to really follow the dress code. I've personally seen passengers who were waiting to go into the dining room in jeans, leave and return in different clothes. BTW, it used to be that on Celebrity you had to stay in the code of the day for the entire evening if you were going to be in any public rooms after 6pm, but they recently changed that rule. Still, on Celebrity, they have tried to separate themselves from other cruise lines who've gone casual, by maintaining a more smart casual dress code that doesn't include jeans at night.

Oh, and they do have a laundry on board, not a self serve laundry, but a very nice and reasonable cost laundry, so by using that, you can cut down on the number of clothes you pack. And, a nice lightweight pair of dressier slacks do weigh less than jeans and take up a lot less space in your suitcase. And, to be honest, even on adventure shore trips, you are NOT going to get mud soaked and terribly dirty.

BTW, posting here, after receiving lots of responses to your question on the Celebrity board, isn't going to change the responses you got there.

its a bit more business casual. I know that most, if not all lines ask that you dont wear shorts in the DR. They dont all enforce the dress code...but typically I just wear a pair of dockers and a polo or long sleeve shirt on non formal nights...quite often I change after dinner as well

I am going to Bermuda on NCL Dawn. I would like to know at night are skorts and capri's with nice shirts ok for dinner? DH and DS can they wear dockers and golf shirts to Dinner. And the teenage girl's want to wear shorts (not jean shorts) to dinner. I am trying to persuade them to wear skirts and capri's. Are flip flops allowed at dinner for them or do they need to be the fancy kind? Is this attire also allowed in the pay extra restaurants? I dont want to be under dressed nor do we want to be over dressed. Thank you.

I am going to Bermuda on NCL Dawn. I would like to know at night are skorts and capri's with nice shirts ok for dinner? DH and DS can they wear dockers and golf shirts to Dinner. And the teenage girl's want to wear shorts (not jean shorts) to dinner. I am trying to persuade them to wear skirts and capri's. Are flip flops allowed at dinner for them or do they need to be the fancy kind? Is this attire also allowed in the pay extra restaurants? I dont want to be under dressed nor do we want to be over dressed. Thank you.

NCL is a much more casual line than most. I think the only thing they don't allow in the dining rooms (any of them) is shorts. And flip flops are fine as footwear.

Head to the NCL board and get more info from regular NCL cruisers. :)

Hi,

Thanks,

Tibbie

I would think that a jacket would be required for him, along with a decent shoe. Sometimes you can get away with an all black athletic shoe. If he got some nice shoes, he could probably wear them back home for special occasions, weddings, school dances, church, etc.

I would think that a jacket would be required for him, along with a decent shoe. Sometimes you can get away with an all black athletic shoe. If he got some nice shoes, he could probably wear them back home for special occasions, weddings, school dances, church, etc.

Actually on Carnival, no jacket is required. They no longer have formal nights, they have Cruise Elegant nights.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Actually on Carnival, no jacket is required. They no longer have formal nights, they have Cruise Elegant nights.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Thank you for the correction!

"My husband is not a suit kinda guy" - what is the difference between wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and sports coat and wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and a suit coat?????

IMHO shorts and tee shirts are NEVER OK for dinner I do not care what ship you are on. If you do not own or want to rent a tux a dark suit is appropriate on any cruise line. I have seen dark suits for sale in Wal-Mart for $99.00 surely the gentlemen can afford that so that they are appropriately dressed and who knows - they may have a wedding or funeral to go to some day and they will already have the suit. OR they may love cruising and get a LOT of wear out of their suit.

Archived