Car rentals in NYC Red Hook

RMVET

We will be arriving on QM2 in NYC on July 1. We would like to rent a car and drop it off in Northern Virginia. Has anyone done a one-way rental from NYC? Does anyone know if the car rental companies will have a car waiting for you like they do in Southampton?

Would appreciate some advice--we have four passengers and a ton of luggage, so would need a large vehicle.

I'm on a TA that arrives in NYC on 9/4, the Friday of Labor Day weekend. I rented a car from Avis, one way to Boston, for $90. They did not have any cars available near Red Hook, so I am picking it up in Manhattan near Wall Street. But that's still pretty close. I have a drop-off point in Boston the next day near my house which is good because I don't have to go to the airport.

After disembarking, I am planning to go get the car and drive back to Red Hook and pickup my wife and the luggage.

I'm on a TA that arrives in NYC on 9/4, the Friday of Labor Day weekend. I rented a car from Avis, one way to Boston, for $90. They did not have any cars available near Red Hook, so I am picking it up in Manhattan near Wall Street. But that's still pretty close. I have a drop-off point in Boston the next day near my house which is good because I don't have to go to the airport.

After disembarking, I am planning to go get the car and drive back to Red Hook and pickup my wife and the luggage.

good plan...

Well yes a good plan, but I have to tell you looking at a map one would think that from Manhatten back to Red Hook is no big deal... It would not be if you were not driving in NYC, or even Brooklyn....

It is going to take you a long time to drive back because of the grid lock no matter what time of day it is.... This is just the way it is. I still think you have a good plan but just warn your lady that she may be sitting on her luggage a long time waiting for you to return, and do not panic!!

We have done exaclty as you have planned and the last time we did this it took my husband 2 hours to get back to the terminal.... Just be forewarned.

I agree with Smooth Dancer. NYC is not like other places. Manhatt. is NOT close to Central Station. Also, getting off the ship, cabbing it to the City, then trying to drive back -- while the thousands are now embarking for the next voyage -- is a recipe for disaster. The AVIS is the best bet, but you will be charged a one-way rental drop off fee, which is usually double the rental price for one day.

Check them online with your particulars.

I would rather take a cab or car service with wife and luggage to the car rental place and leave from there. You will be in Manhattan and getting to Red Hook isn't an easy rout. Then you have to head back into Manhattan to go South.

I would rather take a cab or car service with wife and luggage to the car rental place and leave from there. You will be in Manhattan and getting to Red Hook isn't an easy rout. Then you have to head back into Manhattan to go South.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out the problems with this plan.

I forgot about everyone arriving to get on the ship for the 4 day Labor Day weekend cruise. While I can handle Manhattan traffic (I'm a city person), the terminal will probably be a mess.

I am assuming we're going to have ton on luggage as we plan on doing some shopping in London before the TA home. We're into Art Deco and the UK is a great place to pick up 1930's antiques. Although I doubt Cunard will let me load big pieces onto the ship.

I forgot about everyone arriving to get on the ship for the 4 day Labor Day weekend cruise. While I can handle Manhattan traffic (I'm a city person), the terminal will probably be a mess.

I am assuming we're going to have ton on luggage as we plan on doing some shopping in London before the TA home. We're into Art Deco and the UK is a great place to pick up 1930's antiques. Although I doubt Cunard will let me load big pieces onto the ship.

If you have a lot of lugagge you could get car service to take you to the Avis lovcation in a minivan. Once we had to get a friend from Brooklyn to Penn Station with a boxed bicycle and that was easily done in a minivan. They charge a little bit more for a minvan vs. a sedan.

You could try Arecibo 7180783-6465 or Family 718-596-0664. Just mention that you need a van.

We got reservations with the Avis office at JFK and the drop-off charge wasn't bad ($75) for dropping it off in DC. I checked on picking up the car from the Brooklyn office but nothing was available.

Our plan is to either use the Cunard shuttle to JFK or get a taxi, depending on price, to get to the airport. Taxi might be better since they can drop us off at the Avis pickup spot.

Just an idea for you. Anyone know if I can reserve the JFK shuttle onboard?

We got reservations with the Avis office at JFK and the drop-off charge wasn't bad ($75) for dropping it off in DC. I checked on picking up the car from the Brooklyn office but nothing was available.

Our plan is to either use the Cunard shuttle to JFK or get a taxi, depending on price, to get to the airport. Taxi might be better since they can drop us off at the Avis pickup spot.

Just an idea for you. Anyone know if I can reserve the JFK shuttle onboard?

Have you checked with the Avis locations in Manhattan? It would be easier and cheaper to get to than JFK. The big car rental companies all have locations in Manhattan but not many car rental companies are located in Brooklyn.

Have you checked with the Avis locations in Manhattan? It would be easier and cheaper to get to than JFK. The big car rental companies all have locations in Manhattan but not many car rental companies are located in Brooklyn.

Thanks for the idea, although I checked and the rental costs more from Manhattan than JFK or LGA. We're initially heading north from NY and the connections from either airport are more highway that city streets and I'll be just getting used to driving on the left again.

I've seen several people that recommend taxi service from Red Hook and may check that out after we arrive. Cunard's transfer is $40 each and probably just drops at the terminals.

Cheers,

Thanks for the idea, although I checked and the rental costs more from Manhattan than JFK or LGA. We're initially heading north from NY and the connections from either airport are more highway that city streets and I'll be just getting used to driving on the left again.

How much more expensive is a Manhattan pickup? Also, the city streets are almost all oneway so it should not make much of a difference.

I've seen several people that recommend taxi service from Red Hook and may check that out after we arrive. Cunard's transfer is $40 each and probably just drops at the terminals.

I am sure it will but the AirTrain links the JFK terminals with the car rental agencies.

How much more expensive is a Manhattan pickup? Also, the city streets are almost all oneway so it should not make much of a difference.

It looks like around a $200 difference when I rent out of JFK or LGA with Avis rather than picking the car up from Manhattan. I checked in Brooklyn and there are no cars available from Avis and the other car rental complanies are more expensive. I'm renting for a month.

I am sure it will but the AirTrain links the JFK terminals with the car rental agencies.

Thanks for this info. We may still go with the taxi as there are two of us and the rate looks to be around $40 for both, rather than $40 each.

Does anyone know if the taxis are starting to wait at the terminal or is it still better to call one when you need it?

Archived