So what's "not so good" to eat on Carnival?

I loved the "whats good to eat" thread, but now I'm wondering if there are any dishes that you would recommend staying away from. :o

I still remember 9 years ago that the "Baked Alaska" was a huge disappointment. It was just ice cream with some whipped cream over it. Not a "Baked Alaska" at all.

(but honestly, I think that's the only food I didn't care for on the entire cruise!)

Anything you remember that you would NOT recommend??

I am not a fan of sweets so, for me, it's sweets but I don't think that they aren't good... just not good to me!!

I don't remember a thing I'd tell you to stay way from... Just don't lick the handrails...

;)

I'm not going to say bad, just not for me.

The pizza. I'm a traditional sausage and pepperoni type guy. The pizzas they serve, I'd consider speciality or gourmet, just don't cut it for.

Chicken garlic with goat cheese ???:eek: WTH??? that's not pizza :D

Just my opinion though.

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

I think you will be surprised how many that may agree with you. I know Toni (Trock) does not like it.

I liked it, but thought it was to rich. I would prefer to eat something that I could actually finish.

The coffee. I found it horrendous. I buy mine at their coffee bar, located on the Lido and Promenade decks.

I loved the "whats good to eat" thread, but now I'm wondering if there are any dishes that you would recommend staying away from. :o

I still remember 9 years ago that the "Baked Alaska" was a huge disappointment. It was just ice cream with some whipped cream over it. Not a "Baked Alaska" at all.

(but honestly, I think that's the only food I didn't care for on the entire cruise!)

Anything you remember that you would NOT recommend??

This thread just shows you how subjective food tastes are...I gave my DS (11) the option of skipping one (not both) of our formal nights on our next cruise and he said "NO! I'm not missing a single night of chocolate melting cake!"

Personally, the only thing I wouldn't order again would be the lobster bisque in the dining room...but Supper Club, heck yeah!

I'm not going to say bad, just not for me.

The pizza. I'm a traditional sausage and pepperoni type guy. The pizzas they serve, I'd consider speciality or gourmet, just don't cut it for.

Chicken garlic with goat cheese ???:eek: WTH??? that's not pizza :D

Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I want a pizza with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, hot peppers, and black olives. And mozzarella cheese. No cheese named after an animal. LOL

This thread just shows you how subjective food tastes are...I gave my DS (11) the option of skipping one (not both) of our formal nights on our next cruise and he said "NO! I'm not missing a single night of chocolate melting cake!"

Personally, the only thing I wouldn't order again would be the lobster bisque in the dining room...but Supper Club, heck yeah!

I totally agree.

btw, I noticed the choc melting goo thingy on the buffet a few times too.

And yes, the coffee on the Liberty was ghastly. The pay-for stuff was very good but the lido coffee and what they brought in room service was rough. I think it was the from the engine sumps.

Hehe, goat cheese is delicious and people should give it a try. Don't think of it as pizza, think of it as a gourmet flat bread if that helps you feel better about it ;) After all, mozzarella is as much a "cow's cheese" as chevre is a "goat cheese".

I totally agree on the coffee. I am convinced it's so horrid especially in the dining room so that they can convince you to buy the nicer kind for a fee.

I did not care for the warm chocolate cake either. Although I am not a big chocolate eater. Did not care for, I think it is called Strawberry bisque. It was like eating a smoothie in a bowl. The lobster bisque in the DR is a joke. (WHERE'S THE LOBSTER???) and it really has no flavor. I can't think of anything else that was bad. This is only my opinion.:)

OK... I have my asbestos suit on....

Actually, nothing was bad, but there were things that I heard about here that I wouldn't bother with again...

• The fruit soups - They were good, but more like a thin smoothie.
  • The shrimp cocktail - Four small shrimp and not enough sauce (yeah, I know that I can have as many as I want)
  • The dining room Filet Mignon - I am not convinced that it was a filet. it looked more like a butt steak or sirloin. Plus it was served on top of some shredded short ribs hat were left over from the night before.
  • The Mongolian Grill - I tried the Szechuan sauce and it was bland and watery
  • The pizza - The sausage was the preformed sausage pellets like Pizza Hut uses and the sauce had little flavor.
  • Baked Alaska - as mentioned, some ice cream, a little sponge cake, and whipped cream. Not bad but not Baked Alaska
  • Egg Benedict - The eggs were cooked well and the ham was tasty, but the Hollandaise was bland and thick.

As I said, none of these were bad, but I would look for alternatives on the next cruise. the good news is that there are plenty of alternatives and if you don't like something in the dining room just let them know and you can choose something else.

The fruit soups - They were good, but more like a thin smoothie.

Exactly!

Mrs. 2Ports orders several of them and brings them back to the cabin where she adds rum or vodka. Delish!! :D

Deli- the pastrami and corned beef is pressed mystery meat. nasty!

Most of the things in the buffet, lobster bisque, the grand marnier souffle (like a warm scrambled egg!).

Shrimp with dijon mustard sauce (George Blanc can suck it!).

I didn't like it either, my wife loves it tho.

I've never had a bad meal on Carnival. Everything has been good to excellent. Their desserts are mostly ho-hum. I've never had a dessert that was spectacular but most were respectable. I enjoy getting the cheese plate instead of a dessert most evenings.

The only time I have ever eaten lamb was on the Fantasy. I hated it, but maybe that is how lamb tastes. I have no other expirience to compare it to.

If it was rich with a mild game flavor...and like the one I had on the Fascination in March, that was EXACTLY how it was supposed to taste, and IMHO, excellent! Yum!

Archived