So what's "not so good" to eat on Carnival?

I AM GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE. I am right with you. I think the warm chocolate melting cake is HORRIBLE. I thought is was just me... maybe a bad serving. My whole family agreed with me. Tasted like uncooked microwaved brownie batter on all ships all servings. My family at different times has tried this fan favorite on the Glory, Sensation, Inspiration, and Imagination. All with the same results. My MIL decided to add in a side of orange sherbert just to try to choke it down. As a matter of fact, on the last cruise (Inspiration) the whole table of ten thought it was just bad.

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

I know (or at least I thought) most of the deserts were baked onboard, but some of them tasted like they were frozen. They have the same frozen taste that the cakes at the Chinese Buffets have. Now this does not go for the DR Deserts or Chocolate Buffet, this is mainly for the cakes/deserts on the Lido.

I thought the food in general was pretty good. Loved the Lobster, Shrimp, Flat Iron Steak, Caprese Salad. Burgers and Fries at the grill were surprisingly good. But, I have to say the Pizza was terrible. Also, I didn't think any of the desserts were very good. Choc. melting cake was just ok. The chips and cheese at the buffet was not good, or the cream cheese they used.

The food that we have had on Carnival has been good with just a few exceptions.

I did not like the Baked Grouper on our last cruise, but that is the only item than I can think of that I personally have not liked on any of our Carnival Cruises.

My wife did not like the Lobster Bisque in the MDR, but the same item in the Dinner Club was excellent. I did not order it since I do not like Lobster.

Other than those two items, we have never had a complaint with the food on Carnival.

David

I loved the "whats good to eat" thread, but now I'm wondering if there are any dishes that you would recommend staying away from. :o

I still remember 9 years ago that the "Baked Alaska" was a huge disappointment. It was just ice cream with some whipped cream over it. Not a "Baked Alaska" at all.

(but honestly, I think that's the only food I didn't care for on the entire cruise!)

Anything you remember that you would NOT recommend??

I haven't had too much luck with ordering steak. I kinda like my on the rare side. Had to send it back twice since it tasted like shoe leather. Gave up. Haven't ordered it since. Most all foods are good. The supper clubs, however, are far superior! :)

Escargot....:eek: I won't eat anything that crawls around in my garden. No thanks everyone can have my share.

Do you eat salads? Wouldn't you then be eating the garden the snail was crawling around in?

Escargot is like a garlicy mushroom. Nothing gross about it at all.

My wife loves the Chocolate Melting cake!!! She ordered it everynight aboard the Sensation. I thought it was good, but I'm not a chocolate fan. My only complaint with the food is the bread. All the bread is HARD. I wish I could find some light bread to make toast with for my breakfast. The rolls at dinner are hard, not all hot and soft like you would find at a Roadhouse restaurant. I liked everything else that I ate. Didn't try everything though.

Do you eat salads? Wouldn't you then be eating the garden the snail was crawling around in?

Escargot is like a garlicy mushroom. Nothing gross about it at all.

Come on, it is a slime trail leaving snail slug. Without all the butter and garlic, the slugs would be utterly disgusting. The butter and garlic is great for dipping your bread or roll, throw the slimy part away!:p:eek::D:D

Not near as bad as some things I've eaten, tho!

My wife loves the Chocolate Melting cake!!! She ordered it everynight aboard the Sensation. I thought it was good, but I'm not a chocolate fan. My only complaint with the food is the bread. All the bread is HARD. I wish I could find some light bread to make toast with for my breakfast. The rolls at dinner are hard, not all hot and soft like you would find at a Roadhouse restaurant. I liked everything else that I ate. Didn't try everything though.

I'd be kinda disappointed if they served those squishy, doughy tasting steakhouse rolls, I really prefer nice crusty rolls, and bread.

As far as toast goes, I have given up on toast anywhere but home. I like toast that comes out nice and crispy and doesn't get soggy instantly from butter or jam. I make my own bread for toast.

Come on, it is a slime trail leaving snail slug. Without all the butter and garlic, the slugs would be utterly disgusting. The butter and garlic is great for dipping your bread or roll, throw the slimy part away!:p:eek::D:D

Not near as bad as some things I've eaten, tho!

Steaks are just cows walking around a poopy pasture. I still love eating them :)

I'm with your DS on this one. I loved the chocolate melting cake!!! I had it twice on my last cruise. And I was on a diet!!! Happy to say, I didn't gain any weight. And you're right about taste differences. Unless something was absolutely nasty, no one can tell another not to eat a certain thing. Go for it! If you don't like something, they will gladly take it back and bring you something different. Try whatever you want and then you'll know. Anyway, I went on a cruise where some of my group ate 2 entrees at one meal just because they wanted to have them both. Have fun and enjoy it all!!!!

Also thinking more about this, I have to say that on those nights where they promote baked alaska and cherries jubilee for dessert, I really dont like either of those, and though I tell the waiter no, I end up with a serving anyway. On those nights there are usually something on the dessert menu that I "really" like, so I feel bad leaving those items so I can still have room to enjoy my favorite dessert on that nights dessert menu. Another thing I usually find disappointing is the lobster tail. Usually a little too overcooked for my liking. This is not a complaint. I know it has to be difficult to serve everyone a perfect lobster tail. Again on this night I usually order something else from the menu, but find that the waiter will bring one or more anyway for the folks who dont order it. I have cruised on Norwegian and Celebrity, and have enjoyed each line for their food, by I have to say that Carnival has always met my approval just as much. Not too much I can think of that I cant stand, just these overly pushed desserts, and the lobster tail. I do very much enjoy Carnival's food.:)

I completely agree! On my last cruise, on Elegant Night I ordered both the lobster/shrimp and the prime rib-- my waiters were very happy to bring both. :) (Each plate will include all the sides like potatoes and vegies-- it's easier for them just to bring it that way than to customize it-- they're under time pressure.) At another meal, I ordered 3 different appetizers and they were fine with that too! :) I DO like escargots when they're available, usually order two plates. And I really like the Caesar salad, so I often order one in addition to whatever else they're offering (Caesar salad is also available 24/7 at the pizza counter.) I try not to be late to the table, change my mind or ask for new things at the last minute-- I know that makes life difficult for them. :( But if something is really inedible, I will ask for something else instead... that's maybe once out of 20 or 30 meals.

One thing about the Elation gave me a problem once: Their two DRs are named so similarly (Imagination and Inspiration) that once on my second night, I went to the wrong one-- all my tablemates were different! :confused: Then I had to go back to the right one-- my real tablemates and I all had a good laugh over it! (Yes, this WAS after one too many!)

Go for it! If you don't like something, they will gladly take it back and bring you something different. Try whatever you want and then you'll know. Anyway, I went on a cruise where some of my group ate 2 entrees at one meal just because they wanted to have them both. Have fun and enjoy it all!!!!

I'm with your DS on this one. I loved the chocolate melting cake!!! I had it twice on my last cruise. And I was on a diet!!! Happy to say, I didn't gain any weight. And you're right about taste differences. Unless something was absolutely nasty, no one can tell another not to eat a certain thing. Go for it! If you don't like something, they will gladly take it back and bring you something different. Try whatever you want and then you'll know. Anyway, I went on a cruise where some of my group ate 2 entrees at one meal just because they wanted to have them both. Have fun and enjoy it all!!!!

I had the C M C 6x on the last cruise (the other night was creme boule) & there were some nights better than others. The worse ones were over-baked, with too much cake & not enough melt. I always order double ice cream. After the 2nd order, My waiter just brought it w/out my asking!

The only food on Carnival I found bad was the bouillabaise that is served in the fish & chips place above the buffet. You'll see this saffron-coloured broth that's simmering in a pot teeming with fish, mussels, clams and all sorts of goodies; but once you taste it, it is as flavourless as hell. Salt and pepper didn't help. This was on the Glory, not sure about other ships. But other than that, I found everything else great.

Hope I'm not duplicating previous posts, but too tired to read all 246 tonight.

I don't care for the smoked salmon appetizer. Or the tres leches cake - I find that to be too bland.

In general I like the food very much on Carnival, but there are probably a few other things that I wouldn't order again.

Not being a fan of sweets normally, I didn't care much for any of the desserts, but that is me. The WCMC was ok, but 2 bites was plenty! I also am not a fan of the fruity soups, for the same reason. I must have been really lucky because all of my beef dishes were good INCLUDING the wellington:o. And I consider myself relatively fussy when it come to my beef. Of course I like it rare and that makes a difference as far as not being tough. I LOVE the cheese plate that is on the dessert menu and sometimes order it for an appetizer.

Also, the pizza is very good to me!?! And again, consider myself pretty fussy about pizza.

My favorite thing that I have EVERY morning for breakfast is those greasy little hash brown things that everyone hates topped with lots of the salsa that everyone also hates, lol. There is no accounting for some peoples taste!

Archived