New to HAL - Alaska

Lunur

Hello Everybody;

Although I am not new to cruising, I am new to HAL and Alaska. My 15 year old son and I are going to be on the Zaandam in August. The cruise comes behind the "Great Northwest" tour operated from Your Man Tours. Has anybody else done this?

I have some questions about the ship. Is there a sushi bar onboard? Does this ship have a laundromat with soap? Should I bring my own soap?

You all are great with suggestions. Any and all are welcome about the ship, ports and all of that great stuff.

Thanks!

There is a sushi station set-up in the Lido restaurant. And the MS Zandaam has onboard laundry facilities on Dolphin, Main and Verandah Decks (1,2 and 6) iirc. Soap is provided. You'll need to bring your own dryer sheets! :-)

Enjoy your cruise!

Scott.

Yes there is a do it yourself laundry. Soap is added in the process. A special non-sudsy soap is needed for these machines and ships. You can change dollars for quarters at the front desk. It takes a couple of bucks for washing and drying a load. You can also send laundry out but it is more expensive. There is not a sushi bar as such. On other smaller ships such as this there is a Asian food section in the Lido buffet where assorted common sushi and California roll is available.

Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked. I didn't want to bring soap if it wasn't necessary. I'll definately pack some dryer sheets. And, at least I can get my sushi fix, even if it isn't a sushi bar!

I thought of a few more questions.

What toiletries are available in the stateroom. Do I need to bring my own shampoo and conditioner?

Are robes available for use in the cabins? I have an outside cabin.

Also, is it true that you can get room service to deliver a regular menu dinner?

Thanks, so much.

I thought of a few more questions.

What toiletries are available in the stateroom. Do I need to bring my own shampoo and conditioner?

Shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower gel, and body lotion are available in small bottles - also soap, of course. Cabin steward should replenish them when used, but if he doesn't, just leave a note asking for more. They're quite nice - Elemis brand. The conditioner can be a bit hard to get out of the bottle - diluting it a bit helps - bring your own if you're wedded to a particular brand, or need to use a lot of it.

Are robes available for use in the cabins?

Yes.

Also, is it true that you can get room service to deliver a regular menu dinner?

Yes, in any cabin category, BUT you have to order within half an hour after the dining room first opens, AND if you are not in a full suite, you will have to go to the dining room to check out the menu - it won't be delivered to your cabin. The bars may also have copies - I've heard that but never actually checked.

Thanks, so much.

You're welcome. Have a wonderful time!

You might want to check the Ports of Call boards for Alaska here on Cruise Critic - lots of ideas for good independent excursions that may save you some $$ over the ship-sponsored ones.

Archived