Yankee Clipper closing 6/1/09

BJAMINGIRL

Just heard from hotwire that our hotel for November pre cruise is closing Jun 1 and will not be able to accomidate us. They have moved us to the Westin Beach Resort.

This great for us, but...I had another couple book our cruise and I had held them a room at the Bahia Mar so they would be closer to us...now I need to find something close to the Westin that is decent and not too expensive.

Any suggestions:confused:

Just heard from hotwire that our hotel for November pre cruise is closing Jun 1 and will not be able to accomidate us. They have moved us to the Westin Beach Resort.

This great for us, but...I had another couple book our cruise and I had held them a room at the Bahia Mar so they would be closer to us...now I need to find something close to the Westin that is decent and not too expensive.

Any suggestions:confused:

The Westin is the old Yankee Trader which is pretty close to the Bahia Mar. Maybe not as close as the Clipper, but close enough.

You might check it out on Yahoo or Google maps.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Sorry to learn of this, we stayed there in January and had a wonderful corner room looking down the beach. The public areas where getting thread bare though and you knew something was afoot.:(

This is fact. I have spoken with the Yankee Clipper because we have rooms through both Hotwire and Priceline. I got the notice from Hotwire, but Priceline claimed to know nothing about it. I needed to make sure that all of our reservations were being moved to the same hotel. I spoke with the Reservations manager at the Yankee Clipper.

Who did you book through? If you go to Sheraton's website and try to book anything beyond June 1, it will tell you there are no rooms available.

I called them last week by phone . they took my reservation

and I paid them through my credit card. there was no mention

of closing june 1st. i will called Visa and cancel the payment.

I can't believe that a well known hotel chain would do this.

I wouldn't be so quick to cancel. They told me they were moving all reservations to the Westin (a much nicer hotel, about a mile down the beach).

Call them and ask about your reservation. You may well be booked at the Westin and may have gotten a bargain.

Is the Yankee clipper closing for renovation or for good? I hope it is just for a major renovation. That hotel has been in Fort Lauderdale since I was a teenager back in the 1950s. I would hate to see something go that is historic in Florida terms.

I think it is scheduled to reopen in January of 2010.

If you google it, there is an article from last week talking about the hotel laying off most of its staff. It said that they were closing for major renovations and will reopen in 2010.

I am disspaointed as I wanted to spend a few days there next month, but hey, if you have been there, you'd agree- they need to fix the place up!

I'm relieved that they are renovating and not closing for good. They picked the off season to do the renovation when business is off anyway.

One thing I do know from a hotel that started a major renovation a couple years ago a couple counties north in Florida...they just finished! A couple of bad hurricanes and typical Florida bad contractors set the project back almost indefinitely. It is a miracle they didn't go broke!

I hope the Yankee Clipper has better luck staying on schedule, but it is South Florida after all.;)

Archived