Booking flights/transfers/hotels through RSSC

I know that this should have been caught by the TA before being sent out to me and have been in contact with him to straighten it out. However, he checked his records and Regent was notified about our desires for the travel well in advance of the ticketing. He said that "It will be taken care of."

Regent isn't the only one that I'm displeased with over this.

We were planning on going online to adjust any seating problems, but now we will need to wait longer to take care of any seating rearrangement.

Just a quick note to thank everyone again :)

I have just booked our cabin (for our first ever Regent cruise and our first Alaska cruise - so excited!), so will look at the flight/hotel arrangements over the next few days.

Boo

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime on this thread, as I'm newly back from Regent, and Seward, and the Grandview train.

They have a discounted train rate from Anchorage to Seward. $90/pp.

The regular train from Anchorage (downtown) to Seward is $75 pp; Regent's price is higher, not a discount. If you're flying in and getting the Regent charter train from the airport, it's probably worth it. If you're flying in a day earlier, as Boo indicated, it may or may not be worthwhile to go back to the airport to get the train.

Before our cruise, we booked the Grandview train from Seward to Anchorage at $90/pp. On board, when they sent around the flyer asking everyone's post-cruise arrangements, the flyer indicated that for those people using Regent's air, the Grandview Train transfer was $75/pp. We had to fight a little and show our credit card statement with the $90/pp charge, but we got the $15/pp credited to our onboard account.

However, I will say that even at $90/pp, I feel that the Regent price still represents a discount from the regular Alaska Railroad train between Anchorage & Seward -- mainly because the Regent charter (a one-level train) has the panoramic domed windows. To get a seat with those windows on the regular train, you'd have to upgrade to their GoldStar class which is on an upper level, and costs $160/pp. Plus, on the Regent one, you get free softdrinks/coffee/tea service which again, you'd have to upgrade to GoldStar to get.

If any of you opt to take the train and your weather is half as nice as it was two days ago, that train ride will be priceless. The views are amazing, and I found the train to be infinitely more comfortable and congenial than a motor coach.

I posted a more extensive review of my train experience on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986327

Just MHO! Cheers, and happy travels, all.

Re: Flight arrangements from New York to Vancouver. Has anyone done this through Regent? Do they fly you in the same day ? I looked on line and it seems that the flights that will get you there on time are limited.

Now that air travel is included, Regent seems extremely reluctant to discuss details on he phone of the flight. My flight will be from JFK to Vancouver. Anybody have any idea of how Regent has handled this trip. ie: Fly from JFK by what method to Vancouver via what stops if any etc? And what time to make a 5PM sailing.

It really is difficult to get from JFK to Vancouver (YVR). No one (except Regent) can tell you for sure how you will be routed. However, Regent's first choice are members of Star Alliance (United, U.S. Air, Air Canada, etc.) Then there is the issue getting you there by 1:00 p.m. (typically the deadline for cruises departing that day).

The earliest flight I could find (using Star Alliance) arrives in Vancouver at 1:30 p.m. (U. S. Airways connecting through Phoenix).

They may decide to use Delta (they have in the past) since they have a flight that arrives in Vancouver 12:19 p.m. (through Salt Lake City).

In my opinion (and I am not a TA -- just have had Regent do our bookings several times), they would want you to arrive as early as possible. Otherwise, they would have to put you up in a hotel. Please let us know how you were routed when you get your tickets!:)

P.S. Regent has never really wanted to talk about flights before the time they are ready to book them. Things change -- so, they do not want to promise anything.

There must be some of you out who have had notification of tickets. Anything to say?

Unless you live in Anchorage, Seattle or Vancouver it is almost impossible to get to Anchorage intime for either the train or the motor couch, so Regent will end up flyinig you in one day early and putting you up at the Anchorage Hilton.

I know that this should have been caught by the TA before being sent out to me and have been in contact with him to straighten it out. However, he checked his records and Regent was notified about our desires for the travel well in advance of the ticketing. He said that "It will be taken care of."

Regent isn't the only one that I'm displeased with over this.

We were planning on going online to adjust any seating problems, but now we will need to wait longer to take care of any seating rearrangement.

I believe that what most of us are saying is that it was up to the TA to contact Regent and arrange it with them (and follow up as necessary). As Wendy said, we are assuming that you paid the $100.00 per person deviation fee in order to fly in early. When you book with a TA, they take on the responsibility of insuring that everything is booked the way their client prefers it (remember, it is the TA that is getting the commission).

In terms of seating on the plane, typically the passengers arrange that with the airlines. Regent assigns seats based on availabiliy on the day the flights are booked. Again, your TA could have easily gone in and taken care of it for you. However, many TA's prefer that you look at the seating schedule and select your seating.

Even if you do not end up sitting next to your friends on the flights, hope you have a great cruise!

Note: As repeated many times on this board, it is really important to book with a TA with Regent experience. IMO, the above scenario is much more complex that most -- something that really requires Regent expertise.

ra

RALLY........going to Vancouver, not Anchorage.

Still no info from Regent but I noticed that The ship is scheduled to sail from Vancouver at 5PM. This is 2PM NY Time. Allowing for at least 5 hrs flight time and more for transfers etc and 2 hrs required before flying, this means flight time at about 6 AM at least. I would assume that there would be a sizeable group at JFK and hardly time for same day flight.Would this mean day before flight with Regent footing the hotel bill??

I'm finding out too much,too late..ie. after the deed is done.

Getting to the ship on same day is a can do....United and Delta fly t\west from JFK at 6 to 6.30 AM to change at places like San Fran or Salt Lake and change for Vancouver. Means getting up about 2AM to get to JFK on time.

Also, and I'm afraid to ask.......did I gather from these postings that at the end of the cruise THERE IS A SIX HOUR TRAIN RIDE TO ANCHORAGE TO THE PLANE?????????

I'm finding out too much,too late..ie. after the deed is done.

Getting to the ship on same day is a can do....United and Delta fly t\west from JFK at 6 to 6.30 AM to change at places like San Fran or Salt Lake and change for Vancouver. Means getting up about 2AM to get to JFK on time.

Also, and I'm afraid to ask.......did I gather from these postings that at the end of the cruise THERE IS A SIX HOUR TRAIN RIDE TO ANCHORAGE TO THE PLANE?????????

FYI, Continental, Air Canada and United (flown by Air Canada) all have nonstops from Newark to Vancouver. The flights leave at 7 or 7:30 am and arrive in Vancouver before 11 am. Hope this helps.

Dave

Now I'm confused.not sure if we should chance Regent's free air..to Ft Lauderdale. I seem to have heard that since the ship sails at 1700, they fly you in on the same day. Since we'd be coming from Phx, a lot of the flights are red eyes. Hmm..do we want to start our cruise that way?

I realise no one can answer that question but us, but are there any thoughts out there?

Al,

Continental 1817 leaves EWR at 730am and arrives YVR at 1044 am. Operates M-F starting 7/31 til Aug 28. I think you said you were on our 8/26 cruise, so should work. Air Canada also has similar service.

Archived