New to Princess, solo cruiser – onboard booking question

tekmnky

Hoping for some guidance concerning booking onboard for a specific cruise or future cruise open booking. I’ve searched the threads but haven’t found some of the info I’m looking for on the subject.

If I understand correctly, booking onboard will allow me a reduced deposit and a per person onboard credit for the specific or future cruise (amount based on length of cruise and category of cabin?).

As a solo cruiser, will I get the equivalent OBC for two people since I’m basically paying cruise fare for two people?

Also, is there any price break given for booking on board (such as: Disney gives 10% discount on cruise fare)?

Thanks in advance to all the Princess experts on the board!

Hoping for some guidance concerning booking onboard for a specific cruise or future cruise open booking. I’ve searched the threads but haven’t found some of the info I’m looking for on the subject.

If I understand correctly, booking onboard will allow me a reduced deposit and a per person onboard credit for the specific or future cruise (amount based on length of cruise and category of cabin?).

As a solo cruiser, will I get the equivalent OBC for two people since I’m basically paying cruise fare for two people?

Also, is there any price break given for booking on board (such as: Disney gives 10% discount on cruise fare)?

Thanks in advance to all the Princess experts on the board!

If using a future cruise credit to book, or booking onboard, the lowered deposit and onboard credit is about the only perk, no discount such as you found on Disney. With Princess, booking through a travel agent will give you a much better discount if you can find a good discount TA. BUT, you will only receive shipboard credit for you, and will not receive double credit even though traveling solo and paying up to 200% for the stateroom. Sorry!

I am a solo traveler too and pay double for the mini suite cabins I enjoy.

The Future Cruise Credit program that Princess offers is really a no brainer. All you pay them is $100 deposit for your next cruise. If you have a particular cruise in mind, they will book it for you and even confirm a cabin for you. If you don't have a cruise in mind, all you have to do is give them $100 deposit and then book the cruise afterwards. You get up to four years to make this cruise choice and if you don't want to cruise, they will refund your $100 back to you. How can you lose? You can't.

When they book a cruise for you onboard your ship, they will offer you a decent price but not necessarily the lowest price for that cruise and cabin. But go ahead and book it with them. When you get home, find a good online TA who will no doubt give you a better price than Princess. Tell them you have a booking with Princess that you booked on board the ship. They will call Princess and Princess will change your cruise price to the lower one you got from the TA and eveything else will stay the same....your booking and your cabin.

I hope this answers your question. If you have more questions, just write to the Cruise Critic here and someone will be happy to help you.

Thanks for the quick and concise response Toto2Kansas and NorthPhoenixGuy! Those were pretty much the answers I expected, but was HOPING for the double OBC, anyway!

A quick question about Captain's Circle - I know I'm still several cruises away from ELITE (hope to get there in a couple of years)...but, as ELITE are there any fare discounts? And, I'm not clear on the credit system for Captain's Circle. Solo's get two credit's per sailing and additional credit for mini-suite and above?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick and concise response Toto2Kansas and NorthPhoenixGuy! Those were pretty much the answers I expected, but was HOPING for the double OBC, anyway!

A quick question about Captain's Circle - I know I'm still several cruises away from ELITE (hope to get there in a couple of years)...but, as ELITE are there any fare discounts? And, I'm not clear on the credit system for Captain's Circle. Solo's get two credit's per sailing and additional credit for mini-suite and above?

Thanks again!

No discounts for Elite members anymore than any other member of the captain's circle I am afraid. Princess does at times offer regional discounts though depending on the state or area you live in.

As for status in the captain's circle, you would receive two credits towards your status for booking solo in any stateroom. Afraid only full suites receive an extra cruise credit, mini suites are not included in this perk. (my guess is because Princess offers so many mini suites on their mega ships).

For the best discounts with Princess, a good discount TA is a must. We can often save $500-$1000 or more on our bookings with a discount TA over any discounts princess offers. (many cruise lines have stopped the discounting practice by TA's, but Princess still allows it).

I agree with everthing Toto says and let also add that many online TA's offer onboard credits, free meals in the premium dining rooms etc. I'd also like to recommend you try the Chef's Table dinner on your next Princess cruise. The cost is $75 per person but well worth it and I loved the experience on my last cruise. There are lots of thread here about the Chef's Table so just look them up and I'm sure it would make your Princess Cruise experience even better.

Again, Toto2Kansas, thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'm going to have to find a TA. In the past with DCL and RCL I've handled everything on my own. Guess I'll have to relenquish control if I want to save some cash! :rolleyes:

I agree with everthing Toto says and let also add that many online TA's offer onboard credits, free meals in the premium dining rooms etc. I'd also like to recommend you try the Chef's Table dinner on your next Princess cruise. The cost is $75 per person but well worth it and I loved the experience on my last cruise. There are lots of thread here about the Chef's Table so just look them up and I'm sure it would make your Princess Cruise experience even better.

Thanks for the info and recommendation, David! I look forward to cruising with Princess. There are so many things to do onboard any of the larger ships at all the cruise lines, it's hard to do it all. I'm planning on doing Crown Grill and Sabatini's onboard the Emerald in Oct. Maybe I'll have to work in the Chef's Table, as well!

Again, Toto2Kansas, thanks for the quick response! Looks like I'm going to have to find a TA. In the past with DCL and RCL I've handled everything on my own. Guess I'll have to relenquish control if I want to save some cash! :rolleyes:

It pretty much boils down to that. If you want total control of your booking, then you will have to pay the going rate Princess is advertising. As if you don't book direct, any questions or changes much go through your TA as Princess will not deal with you if not booked direct. But for us, it's a no brainer. I would rather save a lot of money by booking with a TA, then to have control of my own booking and end up paying a lot more. Some actually feel that having control over their booking is more important to them then receiving a discount. But for us, nope, I will take the lowest price and often extra shipboard credit offered by a travel agent.

Just remember, if you contact a TA and they quote you the same price as you find on the princess website, nicely thank them and move on to another TA, as that TA is not discounting the prices. ;) And good luck on this one, hope you find that perfect Princess cruise! :)

I have found that some of the online TA's have lower prices than Princess.

Tekmnky....

We can't mention the names of TA's on Cruise Critic. If you don't mind emailing me, I'd be happy to give you the names of two TA's that I use. I think that would be permitted and within the guidelines of CC. At least I hope it would be. My email address is in my profile and I don't mind if you do.

I work for USAA here in Phoenix. Our headquarters is in San Antonio. Have you heard of them?

Tekmnky....

We can't mention the names of TA's on Cruise Critic. If you don't mind emailing me, I'd be happy to give you the names of two TA's that I use. I think that would be permitted and within the guidelines of CC. At least I hope it would be. My email address is in my profile and I don't mind if you do.

I work for USAA here in Phoenix. Our headquarters is in San Antonio. Have you heard of them?

It is actually against the rules for anyone to offer TA's info through email, or to have someone ask you to email that information to them. Sorry!

No, just onboard credit for one. :)

I have found that some of the online TA's have lower prices than Princess.

Thanks for the replies and information! It's nice to see the folks on the Princess board are quick to offer help and information! Look forward to sailing with you folks!

It is actually against the rules for anyone to offer TA's info through email, or to have someone ask you to email that information to them. Sorry!

NorthPhoenixGuy,

Sorry, but I verified Toto2Kansas' prohibition against TA info and emailing in the CC guidelines. We'll just disregard that post. I appreciate your intent to help and hopefully the mods will overlook this thread.

Archived