Rain Gear--Recommendations?

mtnhappy

We are headed to Alaska at the beginning of Sept and want to ensure we have the proper rain gear. We will be doing a lot of hiking as well as an all-day grizzly bear viewing tour and an 8-day cruise. We are hoping to get away with buying a good waterproof and breathable rain coat (we won't get wet if it were raining all day) for $50 or less from somewhere like REI Outlet or Sierra Trading Post. Any recommendations? What rain coats have you brought to AK and been impressed with? Any of these?

-FrogToggs Rain Suit

-Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket

-Sierra Designs Elevation Rain Jacket

-White Sierra Rain Jacket

Also, do you think rain pants are necessary? We're thinking it'd be better to have them, but we want to make sure we're not bringing anything that's unnecessary since we'll be limited with our luggage.

I've been happy w/ SierraTradingCo and tend to purchase during the times they have the extra 20% promos and free shipping. Have had good experiences w/ Columbia products in the past ... a while back found a Columbia 2-in-1 waterproof jacket for myself for $65 ... got my husband a 2-in-1 waterproof for about the same cost. Also got some nice waterproof hiking boots for under $100 (we were both due for some). We cruise Alaska this month, still working on getting my daughter's waterproof footwear/jacket ... today SierraTradingCo has 20% off and free shipping (if you're on their list and get email specials anyway)

I wondered the same about waterproof pants.

Dont know about the rain pants in alaska, have some but they are noisy:) Only wear if I have to in a complete downpour. If you do buy some - get the lightest ones possible and fold up in your jacket pocket.

Have several rain jackets (we hike quite a bit) - the marmot is very good. Both hubby and I have that one. It is VERY light - and depending on sizing is a bit close to the body - tends to run a tad small so not very good for layering in colder climates. (We live in AZ and this is perfect for us - can layer higher tech light weight underneath it).

The rain suit you are referencing is a bit heavy - do not think you will be comfortable in that all day.

The sierra designs elevation seems a tad expensive - but have not tried.

Look at columbia as well. And another thought is lands end. Bought a couple from there and with their end of season overstock selection you would be hard pressed to find a better jacket at their pricing. Their weatherly system(3/1) jackets are outstanding and they have the zip in /off lining. Right now they are on sale and probably one of the best bargains in these types of jackets.

If you just want waterproof - no lining etc - would go with either the marmot or columbia.

I would definately stay away from Frogg Toggs. I had a pair and anytime the fabric would rub against itself or anything that is not totally smooth, the fabric would shred and the waterproof properties of the fabric was poor. I sent my first pair back because I though that the set was defective. I was sent another set and found the same thing happened so it appears it is just the way they are made.

As far as jackets, I've always been happy with Sierra Designs gear. We have two SD rain jackets. Mine is very lightweight and packable. Love that! It stuffs down in a tiny bag. I think its the Microlight Rain Jacket. Not on your list, but Outdoor Research is another good brand.

If you go with Sierra Trading Post (my favorite store for outdoor gear), coupon code ADMYCOUPONS59 is good for 15% off and free shipping. I just used it this morning b/c I needed a new kayak paddle by next weekend (broke mine yesterday :( ) and didn't want to wait for one of the extra 25% off days :) I think its only good if you spend over $100, but if you are buying gear for the family, you could get up there.

eta: hmm dfitz says today is a 20% off day. I didn't get the email :( Perhaps b/c I've placed two orders in the past 3 weeks and they figure I'm stock up? LOL

I have the Marmot and it is great. I plan to wear lightweight non-cotton pants that convert to shorts. If cold, then with a non-cotton long under layer. The pants can be rinsed and will dry quickly. Will pack gore-tex (or equivalent) pants, but only for extreme conditions. I do not plan to pack jeans, even though they are my uniform at home.

--

Millennium SB 3 July 2009 w/ independent land tour.

I wanted something longer than a jacket and ended up buying the trail model raincoat from LL Bean for $65. It is very light so you don't sweat and I've worn it in the pouring rain and stayed completely dry. It is available in jacket length for $10 less, but since I don't want to mess with rain pants, this was a nice compromise.

Archived