RCCL Whale Watch & Marine Tour- Icy Point

familytravelx5

Wondering if anyone has done the ship version of the whale watching tour. It seems that most people use independent companies for their whale watching excursions. RCCL charges $144 adults & $93 children. This could be a pretty good savings for us since my kids will be with us. Anyone know what age they consider 'child'? Is this one worth doing or try to stay is independents?

hmmm... I don't see where the ages for children is listed so I can only assume that it's someone under 18? I'll be corrected if I am wrong.

Most people do book privately for whale watches in ISP b/c it's only a few dollars more pp (adult rates) for a customized trip where you don't have to compete w/ a hundred other people for railing space. I am paying $150/pp through FISHES for my family of 4 but my kids are 21 and 17.

That being said, I have heard positive reviews for the ship's excursion. It is a larger boat so there is an indoors area if the weather turns nasty, more in the way of drinks, etc.

Depending on the ages of your kids, it might not be worth the extra money to book privately.

Also keep in mind that many of the private tours are already booked. I booked mine in October for our July cruise.

Many cruisers choose the ship offered tour. We almost never do because an independent tour is so much more personal and they are usually able to spend more time on the tour because they don't have to shuffle so many people around. We use TECKK Outfitters in ISP www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com and have been very pleased with their tour. Keith has a new boat for this year and I am looking forward to returning in August for another wonderful trip with him. I think his charge is $130 pp, but you would have to check with him to make sure.

Last year, after our ATV & ZipRider adventure in ISP, we decided as a spur of the moment adventure to take this tour and it was fantastic. We saw many whales. The whales were "bubble-netting" and the guides put a microphone under the water so you could hear them communicating. A pod actually went under the boat. We also saw doll-porpoises which played in the wake of the boat for a while. The tour includes coffee, tea, a & yummy hot chocolate. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I'm not sure what we paid, both my boys were 15 & 13 years old at the time. The pictures and videos we took came in very handy for school projects this year. I would highly recommend this tour.

Thanks for the responses. We didn't book our trip until a week ago and realized most excursions were probably filled. FISHES is booked for our date. TECKK quoted me $165 pp + 6% tax.

I guess I'd better call RCCL and ask the child age question.

thanks again.

A significant difference between ship contracted whale watches and independents out of Hoonah, is TIME. Some independents are twice as long and ship tours will be the shortest.

For people who have done either RCCL's or an independent whale tour - how important is it to have the "guaranteed" sighting clause? I am tempted to take a whale tour in Icy Point straight (since we are limited in what excursions we can take with our 5 & 8 year olds due to age minimums), but the sigtings are not guaranteed as they are in Juneau, etc.

Thanks!

For people who have done either RCCL's or an independent whale tour - how important is it to have the "guaranteed" sighting clause? I am tempted to take a whale tour in Icy Point straight (since we are limited in what excursions we can take with our 5 & 8 year olds due to age minimums), but the sigtings are not guaranteed as they are in Juneau, etc.

Thanks!

It's of no importance.

I think the "guarantee" is just a marketing ploy. The boats are all in communication w/ one another and with fishing vessels as well, and word spreads quickly as to where the whales are. But if it makes you feel better, book a guarantee excursion. You have nothing to lose.

I did the ship tour and it was great!

Do you remember about how many people were on it with you or if you had to fight for rail time?

Juneau has less expensive tours than ISP but I keep reading how ISP is supposed to have better whale watching plus is there less to do in Hoonah if you're not on an excursion?

If anyone can give a guarantee, it should be ISP. They will take you out to Point Adolphus which is one of the biggest gathering spots for Humpback whales in the world. There is an abundance of feed for whales there and they go there for that reason - FOOD! But I don't say this to take away from other whale tours in Alaska. Humpback whales are everywhere in the southeast area.

Independent or a tour purchased from the cruse line, you are going to get a good deal. Like BQ says, the difference is time......quality time. Independents will take you to the whales, let you listen to them, possibly show you them through some quality binoculars, maybe show you a bear on the beach, show you some sea-lions, give you a local personalized experience. You may even get to smell whale breath! lol

Many people like the (bigger boat) whale tours that the cruise lines offer. They can do just about anything the smaller boats can do as far as finding whales. They wisk you out, let you see the whales, then wisk you back. Fun fun. And lots of company. Maybe sell you a whale T-shirt, jewelery or something. It's all good.

Thank you again for all the responses. After much debate, we decided to book a tour with Glacier Wind Charters in ISP. I just have to say that Teresa's customer service so far has been outstanding and we are really looking forward to their whale watch tour.

Archived