Deck 2 OK? Any advice very welcome

sparx

I am thinking about booking a cruise on SDII very shortly and wondered if taking a gty on Deck 2 was OK? Does it make a difference haveing a stateroom with port holes rather than the window? I was also wondering if it makes a difference if you get a stateroom that has the removable wall to convert it into the larger commodore suite? Does this make it more noisy?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

I am thinking about booking a cruise on SDII very shortly and wondered if taking a gty on Deck 2 was OK? Does it make a difference haveing a stateroom with port holes rather than the window? I was also wondering if it makes a difference if you get a stateroom that has the removable wall to convert it into the larger commodore suite? Does this make it more noisy?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Deck 2 is fine. Portholes no issue at all. Some people do find the staterooms that convert to Commodores to be noisier so I'd try to avoid one of those (whether on Deck 2 or Deck 3) if possible. However, given a choice between a convertible stateroom or not traveling on SD, I'd pick the convertible stateroom any day.

I agree with CTBJR. We also like 2 deck for proximity to the dining room and the sound of the sea at night. Great for sleeping. Also, if you have any motion issues, the ride is a bit smoother on the lower decks.

Jim.

We booked GTY but got deck 4, which I was a bit nervous about (seasickness being the main concern). It turned out to be fine. We were pretty much midship, so maybe that helped. The motion we felt at night was kind of comforting. I was surprised. I think any deck should be fine.

Another vote for Deck 2 ... actually we have sailed on Deck 2, 3 and 4 and the differences are minor (windows are about it).

Our Commodore suite on Deck 2 in March was just perfect. I'm afraid I may have been spoiled for life:p

We have booked Deck 2GTY twice and have been happy with our cabins.

If you are concerned about the convertible cabins you might want to book Deck 2 and select your room.

I agree 100 percent with ctbjr ... any cabin on SD beats being on land:D

My turn to chime in.

We seleceted Deck 2 midship in Nov. '07 and it's the only way I'll travel. We booked Deck 2 GTY last April and were assigned Deck 3 forwardmost. While I love the staterooms on SD, I will not travel in a forwardmost stateroom again. Lots of motion.

The difference in fares between GTY and confirmed booking are substantial. I would not consider paying the higher fare and would take my chances on stateroom location. My husband and I both get seasick, but we took precautions (he wore the patch and I took Bonine) We ate and drank heartily. We did not have a particularly rough sailing; there was some motion but we primarily sailed at night. I guess if you have money to burn or really have a motion sickness problem, the confirmed stateroom would be important, otherwise, I'd say, don't bother.

This is excellent advice. We've always booked Deck 4 midship, but decided to try a Deck 2 GTY for a Fall sailing. Shortly after we booked, the GTY price dropped, then dropped 2 more times. Despite our final payment yet to be due, it was not easy to get SD to convert us to the lower pricing. In fact, we were only able to take advantage of 1 of the 3 price reductions.

How far in advance do the rest of you book on SD?

This is excellent advice. We've always booked Deck 4 midship, but decided to try a Deck 2 GTY for a Fall sailing. Shortly after we booked, the GTY price dropped, then dropped 2 more times. Despite our final payment yet to be due, it was not easy to get SD to convert us to the lower pricing. In fact, we were only able to take advantage of 1 of the 3 price reductions.

How far in advance do the rest of you book on SD?

We usually book 6 to 8 months out.

We haven't had any price reductions on the itineraries we have selected before or after final payment.

I have a GTY2 booked for a fall sailing and that fare hasn't dropped as of yet.

Bryn295,

If final payment is not yet due and you are not in penalty phase why not just cancel and rebook? Usually the luxury lines will match all fare drops. Did you book yourself or have a TA do it? If you had a TA he/she should insist on the lowest fare offered. If you booked yourself this is a good reason not to.

• 2 weeks later...
We usually book 6 to 8 months out.

We haven't had any price reductions on the itineraries we have selected before or after final payment.

I have a GTY2 booked for a fall sailing and that fare hasn't dropped as of yet.

Hi DJ:

Which one are you booked on? You probably said somewhere but I guess I missed it. It just doesnt feel right unless you have a SeaDream cruise booked.

J.

Hi DJ:

Which one are you booked on? You probably said somewhere but I guess I missed it. It just doesnt feel right unless you have a SeaDream cruise booked.

J.

We are booked on the Fall 09 crossing on SD 2 but I am thinking more and more that we will be rolling it forward to the Fall '10 crossing with Capt. T at the helm:D

Glad to hear that news as I am going with you!;)

unfortunately without a schedule change I probably will not be able to go in 2010 notwithstanding the lure of Captain T as our driver. Tenerife is a long way to go for only a 9 day crossing and ending up in San Juan the day after Thanksgiving would not go over very well with my family (since they can't come due to schedules, my missing turkey day hasn't been viewed very well) . . . I'm sure y'all will have a great time though. I'd love to experience a Thanksgiving on SD.

FT

• 2 months later...
We booked GTY but got deck 4, which I was a bit nervous about (seasickness being the main concern). It turned out to be fine. We were pretty much midship, so maybe that helped. The motion we felt at night was kind of comforting. I was surprised. I think any deck should be fine.

We booked a CAT 2 GTY and ended up on Deck 4. No problem with motion for us, since neither of us gets seasick :D

We are booked in another CAT 2 GTY for our 10/25 cruise. Don't really care what deck we end up on, since anywhere on SD is fabulous!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are planing on booking the Dec 13th cruise for our 30th anniversary. Please, I find myself ignorant as to what "gty" means when booking? Help! We have cruised SD twice before but I don't remember that....Does it mean that we won't know our room number until sailing?? I found a great price on the booking gty, but am not sure if that is the way to go. Thanks for any help. Can't wait to hit deck!

We are planing on booking the Dec 13th cruise for our 30th anniversary. Please, I find myself ignorant as to what "gty" means when booking? Help! We have cruised SD twice before but I don't remember that....Does it mean that we won't know our room number until sailing?? I found a great price on the booking gty, but am not sure if that is the way to go. Thanks for any help. Can't wait to hit deck!

GTY means guarantee ... which means that you may not learn your cabin assignment until embarkation. A GTY 2 means you are guaranteed an assignment on Deck 2 while a GTY 3 means Deck 3 and GTY means Deck 4.

We have gone the GTY 2 route and ended up on Deck 4 but YMMV! If you have your heart set on a deck and/or location (midship etc) it is best to go the "regular" route. We find the GTY to be a great deal!

GTY means guarantee ... which means that you may not learn your cabin assignment until embarkation. A GTY 2 means you are guaranteed an assignment on Deck 2 while a GTY 3 means Deck 3 and GTY means Deck 4.

DJ,

I thought that all GTY fares are listed as GTY2 but can result in stateroom assignments on any of Decks 2, 3 or 4. I don't recall ever seeing GTY3 or GTY pricing. Maybe I've missed it though???

Thanks for the fedback re: "gty". That looks to me the best way for us to go. :D We are arriving in Puerto Rico a day ahead (Dec weather being so iffy in MI) and are looking at staying at the Sheraton, but am open to other hotel suggestions....(Just like the nearness to the ship of the Sheraton). Has anyone reported on the affect of the ownership change on service or amenities?:confused:

DJ,

I thought that all GTY fares are listed as GTY2 but can result in stateroom assignments on any of Decks 2, 3 or 4. I don't recall ever seeing GTY3 or GTY pricing. Maybe I've missed it though???

I have indeed since GTY2 and GTY 3 ... GTY4 doesn't make sense at it is the highest in price. The most common is GTY2.

I have indeed since GTY2 and GTY 3 ... GTY4 doesn't make sense at it is the highest in price. The most common is GTY2.

I, also have never seen any but "GTY" on 2 deck and not offered on every sailing, of course. We have done GTY and also picked specific cabins. Have always been on 2 deck with GTY but really dont care. Still hoping the upgrade fairy will sprinkle us with 315 or Admiral's Suite pixie dust.:D DJ, still cant get the clock going. The Mac says "corrupt file". Any Mac users out there that have set up countdown clocks? Mr. Computer here could use some training wheels. Anyway, I think it is only 105 days and counting!!

Jim.

Now ctbjr and Jim both have me doubting myself:rolleyes: I may have to check with Miami to make sure I am not giving out bad info.

Jim you may want to check out the clock countdown forum here on CC where I am sure you will find some Mac people:D Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Now ctbjr and Jim both have me doubting myself:rolleyes: I may have to check with Miami to make sure I am not giving out bad info.

Jim you may want to check out the clock countdown forum here on CC where I am sure you will find some Mac people:D Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The countdown forum was helpful. Apparently, at this time, you must have Internet Explorer to have a clock. Humbug! I will just have to use my copious math skills to keep track.

Archived