Panic Attacks??? Any Tips??

Hello all -

I am planning a cruise for dh and I, it will be our first. I occasionally suffer from panic attacks and am hoping that someone who has btdt can offer me some guidance. We are looking at the luxury lines, and trying to decide which would be best. I had been interested in Seadream, but not having a balcony is very very scary for me. I am afraid that I would feel trapped, and I also think that having a balcony for fresh air might alleviate any worries about seasickness. I am going back and forth regarding the size of the ship. Part of me thinks that a bigger ship would be better for me because I would have more room to explore and might not feel as "trapped". Another part of me is afraid of the bigger ships because of the amount of people and being far from my cabin if I was to start to feel unwell. Any tips? I appreciate any information you can offer.

Thanks so much!!!!

Hi There,

I too used to suffer from panic attacks. I'm sure that you know that the biggest worry is not the panick attack itself, but the fear of having one! I was worried about this before we went on our first cruise. We had an inside cabin and we were on Celebrity's Galaxy- an giant ship, but not by other ship standards. I was so preoccupied with all the things to do and see that I never even had a hint of an attack. Through the years I've learned to just realize if I feel something little coming on to just tell myself it's not anything terrible and I try to change what I'm doing or thinking at the time - anything to preoccupy my mind for even a minute. I was afraid that we'd be having dinner in the dining room and I'd have to leave or that we'd be on an excursion and something would happen. It never did. If you keep trying to train your brain that it really is nothing, over time it seems to work. My main fear used to be that I would pass out. I don't know why this came into my head- probably because if I got panicky, I would feel weak and lightheaded. After time and time again of it NOT happening, I learned to think that it would not happen, and I'd feel better.

The best tip that I could give is this. I am definitely not a fan of medication or being on it- but I did go to my family doctor before the cruise and told him of my fears. He prescribed a very mild medication and I would carry it in my purse. To the day, it's in my purse and not one is missing, but that little "insurance" that I carried with me helped my brain rely on the fact that if I felt I couldn't take it, I had something with me that would help. I knew all along I'd probably never need it, but just having it made me feel better.

Go and have a wonderful time. I hate to tell you not to worry- because that's what people like you and me are best at! HAVE FUN!

Hello all -

I am planning a cruise for dh and I, it will be our first. I occasionally suffer from panic attacks and am hoping that someone who has btdt can offer me some guidance. We are looking at the luxury lines, and trying to decide which would be best. I had been interested in Seadream, but not having a balcony is very very scary for me. I am afraid that I would feel trapped, and I also think that having a balcony for fresh air might alleviate any worries about seasickness. I am going back and forth regarding the size of the ship. Part of me thinks that a bigger ship would be better for me because I would have more room to explore and might not feel as "trapped". Another part of me is afraid of the bigger ships because of the amount of people and being far from my cabin if I was to start to feel unwell. Any tips? I appreciate any information you can offer.

Thanks so much!!!!

I also suffer from panic attacks, very recent addition to my life actually, and it all started on a cruise i was on, cruise #19 for that matter. The ship itself, being on the ocean, not being able to get off if i felt i needed to just all started freaking me out.

Well, to make a long story short, there is a very capable medical team onboard, the gave me some Xanax, and i was back to normal.

So, no need to be worried about the trivial things your worrying about, cause if need be, there is help.

You will enjoy your cruise, as long as you have that frame of mind, your good to go :p

I also suffer from panic attacks, very recent addition to my life actually, and it all started on a cruise i was on, cruise #19 for that matter. The ship itself, being on the ocean, not being able to get off if i felt i needed to just all started freaking me out.

Well, to make a long story short, there is a very capable medical team onboard, the gave me some Xanax, and i was back to normal.

So, no need to be worried about the trivial things your worrying about, cause if need be, there is help.

You will enjoy your cruise, as long as you have that frame of mind, your good to go :p

I have been on anti depressants and they work for panic attacks. however, I do not like taking anything regularly since I am normally fine. So I prefer xanax. I take it rarely, normally for flying, and the dentist. Those are the 2 things that cause me to go into panic attacks

I have suffered from agoraphobia & panic attacks since I was 28....I'm now 55.

Before I took my first cruise I was really worried I would have a problem and was so nervous the day we boarded I was afraid I would panic.......but guess what??? From the moment I stepped on the ship there was so much to see and do that I did not give it another thought. The only time I felt a little "uneasy" was during the muster drill (Carnival has it outside on the deck) so I asked if I could stand in the front and after that I was just fine.

We always get a balcony room so I don't feel so closed in, but honestly if we were able to get a great deal on an inside, I might consider it...

I wish you good health and happiness as you embark on this wonderful new experience.

Hello all -

Thanks so much!!!!

I understand your fears and concerns. I started having panic attacks about 10 years ago. My first one when when I went to a concert in Philadelphia and freaked out when I walked into Veterans Stadium. I have been on four cruises so far. My first one was a disaster, my room was horrible, I got a reaction to the patch and got seasick for a day or two but after that the rest of the trip was great. That was 14 years ago so it was pre panic attacks. I decided to take another cruise with my children and husband a couple of years ago and was very worried about the attacks. On that cruise we had an oceanview cabin on a larger ship. My third cruise I had a balcony and I was sold. The oceanview was ok but I loved that balcony and I liked the larger ships. I enjoyed sitting outside and we had four total days at sea. My most recent cruise we had a balcony again and I loved it just as much. I brought along my Xanax just in case on every cruise I do not take anything daily for the attacks but I found that I can usually talk myself out of them. I always bring along Dramamine just in case because I always worried about getting seasick again, that never happened after my first cruise. All those thoughts racing through your mind makes you worry about having an attack and what to do if it happens. So my advice is bring the medication along that alone may help to relieve your anxiety. A cruise is a great vacation, stay focused on that. Don't psych yourself into being afraid. There are a million things to do or nothing to do whatever you prefer. Everyone is there to have a good time, meet some people, in the end I think you won't be sorry and will have a great time. You will become a cruise fanatic like the rest of us on these boards. Good luck and enjoy!

I've had mild OCD and panic attacks since I was a child and Xanax works great for me. My worst problem is still the crowds and that clausterphobic panicky feeling I get when there's too many people around me. Luckily, I have a very understanding husband that can read me like a book and gets me out of uncomfortable situations the moment he notices that I'm not quite right. So far on all the cruises we've been on, the only incidents I've had was:

Waiting in line to check in once (a lady kept bumping into my back)

On the Royal promenade during one of the parades (hubby got me out of there asap)

Then, at our 1st muster drill when we got stuck in the middle (once again hubby saved the day by talking to the crew member and having us moved to the front)

Also I've never had a full blown panic attack on a ship, even through these incidents, just that quick nervousness you get before hand.

Hope this relieves your worries.:)

P.S. We also always get a balcony (Whether I really need it or not);)

Thank you all so much for your support. And you are so right, it is the fear of having an attack that can bring it on sometimes. Luckily I also have a husband who can sense when things are not right, and he is very good at calming me down and removing me from the situation if necessary. I think that for me, a balcony is a must have, if only to avoid that trapped feeling.

I do not suffer from panic attacks but my husband can be overcome by anxiety. He does some visualization techniques that put him 'in his happy place' where there is no stress. sounds goofy, but it works for him. not sure if that would help you, or if you meditate? If you exercise regularly, do it on the ship also to hold to a routine, which could maybe keep you on even keel?

I dunno, might not be the least bit helpful, but wanted to let you know that I hope you have the best cruise ever without any whisper of panic.

I, too, suffer from panic attacks on occasion. But, I've never experienced one on a cruise ship. Even the smaller ships seem huge with plenty of room to move around. I recommend getting a balcony, though. You'll feel the wind on your face and fee free. Good luck!

Xanax works wonders (although it takes a while to kick in). If you go that route, please be very aware that alcohol and Xanax aren't a great mix, as the drug amplifies the effects of the alcohol. Being aware is the key. (BTW You would LOVE SeaDream!)

Host Dan

what might help the original poster is to see if someone will allow you a quick walk through tour of the ship, this might help you become more familiar and possibly more comfortable.

I find when one gets a panic attack or feels panicky, a breathing exercise helps. breath in real deep through the nose, hold it for a couple seconds, exhale through the mouth. This will help you to be calm and at ease. I sometimes do it more than once.

Take something familiar with you that is calming for your cabin. Familiarity helps to provide security.

Perhaps talk with a RCCL customer service representative prior to embarkation.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps talk with a RCCL customer service representative prior to embarkation.

Hope this helps.

I believe Galileo111 is considering Seadream not RCCL....

Otherwise, great advice..

Host Dan

I find when one gets a panic attack or feels panicky, a breathing exercise helps. breath in real deep through the nose, hold it for a couple seconds, exhale through the mouth. This will help you to be calm and at ease. I sometimes do it more than once.

Yep, that's the ticket. Focus on the breath. Matter of fact, it's a good practice to do every day regardless.

If you are lucky enough to live near a port that has a 1 or 2 day sailing to nowhere I would start with that. If you enjoy it and feel comfortable then you could book a longer vacation and really look forward to it instead of worrying about being "trapped" on a ship for a week.

Karysa

I had panic attacks for 10 years before a nutritionist told me I might be low on magnesium. I was ready to try anything as medication wasnt working or made me feel dopey. I went home and read up on magnesium and found our that our soil is depleted and here in the U.S. it is often hard to get enough in your diet. I suppliment 400-600 mg of chelated magnesium daily (almost to the point of loose stool) and for 2 years Ive not had ONE attack. Might not work for every one but it cured me!

this is not an ad, it is an article.

http://www.paniccure.remediesforanxiety.net/natural-remedies-anxiety/natural-anxiety-cure-magnesium-part-1

I had suffered panic attacks and agoraphobia started 25 yrs ago, couldn't even walk out to my mail box.. had the attacks daily tried all types of meds that made me spacey.. anyway long story short here I am after going thru Lucinda Bassett program.. I drive myself for work, can fly although am uncomfortable.. do about anything , what the program taught me was.. relaxation skills.. bring an ipod with some relaxation tapes on it or relaxing music, she also said when you stop fearing the symptoms..no one ever dies from them, then they will stop coming. It is true.. once in a blue moon I will get keyed up and start feeling the old symptoms coming.. I say bring it on .. they won't hurt me.. and it's surprising how they go away.. My only fear is seasickness actually. don't want to be miserable and meds and I do not get along.. good luck;)

I am not a doctor and definitely do not play one on TV, so this is personal experience only.

I have had panic attacks off and on for years. Mine are caused by certain phobias like heights, especially mountain highways - but I live in the mountains and love it!!

Anyway, 10 years or so ago my doctor prescribed Ativan to be taken as needed. That's fine, but the best advice he gave was for me to put the pill under my tongue and let it dissolve. He compared this to people with angina putting nitroglycerin pills under their tongue. There's something about the medication getting into the system much faster than simply swallowing the pill.

All I can say is that I begin to get relief in minutes when I do this. And one pill always does this trick--even a very low dosage for me although I had to experiment a while to find that dosage.

Bottom line, though, is to talk to your own doctor and tell him/her your concerns.

Most of all, good luck and happy sailing. There's nothing like it anywhere.

Hello all -

Thanks so much!!!!

I get panic attacks ocassionaly and very rare when they come. I did not find a cruise will allow me to have any once I boarded on the ship I take Xanax for mine, but the last cruise I did not have any. My suggestion when this happens is that you get a quiet place, or go back to your cabin and take a nap for 1 or 2 hours. until it leaves you. this is how I do it now. I hate to bring any medication except for my nebulizer which i need for my asthma, and that i really do not like to bring too. but I feel that maybe you need to just chill out too, I know when I am busy it does not come on its only when I had too much booze the night before or when I am bored it comes on.

Also you may want to have a friend be with you until it passes. no need to feel that you have to be this way.

I really understand what you are going through The size of the ship the lower you are the less seasickness you will get. The best way i can tell you is not to get a window or balcony if you suffer from Panic attacks, we are on the freedom coming up we are going for a inside cabin, on the 7th deck and i have no problems ith it, if i do not see the ocean I am happy.

The lower the less motion of the ocean the higher you are the motion but get a ship which is in the middle to sleep less motion the front is not good the back is better but the middle is best

Red

Hello all -

Thanks so much!!!!

I also suffer(ed) from panic attacks, mostly due to claustrophobic situations, feeling closed in. We cruised for the first time a few months ago, and had a balcony. It was awesome! I'm afraid I probably couldn't do an inside cabin at all. The balcony was awesome for so many reasons, but especially because I knew that I could step out to get fresh air and just relax! I have taken Paxil for several years now, and it controls my panic attacks/anxiety very well. Before that I used Xanax, but as someone said previously, it takes awhile to work, and by then I was miserable. Some times the panic would come on out of the blue, and as my MD said, "it's like trying to put out the fire after it's already raging out of control." So altho I don't like to take pills on a daily basis, it was worth the sacrifice to take one pill a day and feel mostly normal :D all the time.

I sympathize with you because I've been there...but just know that there are lots of us out here. Good luck with whatever you decide. You will LOVE your first cruise.

Cindy

I don't suffer from anxiety but my eldest son does. He also tends to worry a lot and to not be comfortable in large or noisy areas or crowed but he totally adores going on cruises though because they are extremely relaxing to him. The movement of the ship, the view of the water and the amazing service most lines give you making you feel like royalty and at peace definitely help you feel relaxed and happy on a cruise. We have had inside, outside, and balcony cabins and yes the floor to ceiling glass view of the ocean is wonderful in balcony cabins for sure and he (and the rest of us) certainly did enjoy our balcony cabin yet we also were all fine with just an ocean view too. With the inside and no sun or moon, it throws off your natural clock a bit so I suggest for sure at least an ocean view.

But a few areas that you might want to work out strategies for yourself are in the lifeboat drills and for standing in line and exiting the ship while visiting ports.

First with the life boat drill - have a strategy for attending it as it is mandatory and clausterphobic activity for most passengers as you get crowded in lined up groups wearing uncomfortable and big orange life jackets the entire time. I'd suggest either directly speaking with the crew member in charge of your station and explaining your situation and requesting to stand at the very front of the lineup so you have a nice view of the ocean and don't feel crowded or b. don't be exactly on time or early for it, stroll in just after the drill time so you are assured of being in the front and your time there will be shorter. I'm sure the crew can help work this out with you.

Next, be aware that while visiting ports there is always a lineup to exit the ship as fellow passengers are eager to get out and see the sights. You might opt to purposely exit the ship at least 45 minutes after docking and enjoy the empty lido deck and stroll casually off when the line is minimal or non-existant. Also, most of the ship arranged tours would be on crowded bus so consider hiring taxis or private tour guides for your visits. All of these are things we have done to help my son enjoy his trip and remain relaxed and happy. His favorite line is Holland America because it's a quieter crowd and the crew treats him like a God and he loves the food. Some lines are hectic to be on with party type crowds etc which make him stressed even though he's only 13.

Oh, another thing is why not schedule a pedicure, massage, or relaxing hair wash and dry on the ship your first day to help you feel relaxed and pampered. Plus there are many quiet places on the ships to enjoy like the library etc Room service is free and feels wonderful to do enjoying your balcony too.

Relax, prepare, and look forward to your trip!

Archived