Good Reads While Cruising the Med

For Rome, definitely check out the Lindsey Davis series featuring Marcus Didius Falco, an "informer" (like a private eye) in first-century Rome. But I caution you to read the series in order, so you can follow the personal lives of the characters (which is always part of the fun!). The first one in the series is called Silver Pigs. Then there are like a dozen more. They're really fascinating for the level of detail about ancient Roman life, plus the mysteries are good, plus they're really funny, lots of dry humour. I can't recommend them highly enough, and once you've read a few, you'll really enjoy visiting Rome afterwards and seeing what Falco "saw"

For Rome, definitely check out the Lindsey Davis series featuring Marcus Didius Falco, an "informer" (like a private eye) in first-century Rome. But I caution you to read the series in order, so you can follow the personal lives of the characters (which is always part of the fun!). The first one in the series is called Silver Pigs. Then there are like a dozen more. They're really fascinating for the level of detail about ancient Roman life, plus the mysteries are good, plus they're really funny, lots of dry humour. I can't recommend them highly enough, and once you've read a few, you'll really enjoy visiting Rome afterwards and seeing what Falco "saw"

I warn you these books are addictive. I discovered them about a month ago and am on my 4th one now. :)

At the moment I'm in the process of reading 'The Aviary Gate' by Katie Hickman. Mainly set in 16th century Constantinople focusing on the harem of Topkapi Palace and present day Istanbul, it gives excellent insight into the city, past & present.

For those traveling to Rome, try "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. While much of the book concentrates on his home in the Low Country, it's setting is Rome. It's generally just a great book, would make a great read on board!

Jennifer

For those traveling to Rome, try "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. While much of the book concentrates on his home in the Low Country, it's setting is Rome. It's generally just a great book, would make a great read on board!

Jennifer

One of my all time favorites, even have it on tape! Great book!!! There are SO many great suggestions here--where to start??

I got some really good (IMO ;)) suggestions for you!

For Barcelona: "Cathedral of the sea" by Ildefonso Falcones (http://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Sea-Ildefonso-Falcones/dp/0525950486). It is set in Barcelona in the 14th century, and is a fantastic read! The only problem is that you will have problems putting it away before you are done reading it!

For Rome (and other places Caesar traveld during his life): The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden (http://www.conniggulden.com/?p=14). 4 books about the life of Julius Caesar, written in a way as it is both easy to read and has suspense through all 4 books. If you are a die hard historian you might want to stay clear, as the books are fiction based on the life of Caesar.

For Greece: "Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae" by Steven Pressfield (http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-Novel-Battle-Thermopylae/dp/055338368X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242075335&sr=8-6). This is the "real story" behind the hit movie "300". I liked the movie for what it is (a legend that is really over done), but I loved the book. The book is also ficton, but based on what we do know about the battle for Thermopylae (it is true, there where 300 Spartans, but in total it was 10 000 "free Greeks" at the hot gates that stood against the invaders).

I could probably list a few more if I tried, but theese books are the one I really loved and really remember.

Arlendius

I am getting hooked on books by an author named Hewson. He has a great series of a detective in Rome, with most cases tied to some paintings on display in various churches. Also, his book "Lucifer's Shadow" is avery interesting mystery set in both medieval and modern Venice. It gave us a good introduction to the city that we will visit in October.

I also enjoy Steven Saylor's series about a detective in ancient Rome. Enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

For Malta

Kapillan of Malta - Nicholas Monserrat set in WWII

Also set in WWII but more factual, great if you are interested in WWII history

Fortress Malta - an island under siege by James Holland

Set in the 16th century around the time of the Ottoman Empire and the Siege of Malta

The Sword and the Scimitar by David Ball

Herb's DW here-I see some great choices here and would like to add a few personal favorites-

Dreamboat by Judith Gould -"romantic suspense" on a Mediterranean cruise

In addition to Under the Tuscan Sun, try some other books by France Mayes-

Bella Tuscany

In Tuscany

Bringing Tuscany Home

A Year In the World

Also recommended-Adriana Trigiani's most recent work-Very Valentine (most of the story takes place in New York, but several chapters are devoted to the heroine's voyage to Capri.

Enjoy!

I recommend "The Santorini Odyssey" by Peg Maddocks. It is about an archeological dig on the island. Look on Amazon because it has a good review with which I agree. It is unevenly written and sometimes you want to take a pen and edit it BUT it has an interesting story line with a lot of cultural background.

I concur with the choice of "Pompeii" by Robert Harris. STRONGLY recommended.

For Venice, I would suggest "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. It is light fiction about a courtesan and a dwarf in 16th century Venice, but gives a very good feel for the atomosphere of Venice.

I really enjoyed this book before our trip to Italy.

"Too Much Tuscan Sun:Confessions of a Chiani Tour Guide" by Dario Castagno

http://www.amazon.com/Too-Much-Tuscan-Sun-Confessions/dp/0762736704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244081148&sr=1-1

It's about the Tuscan guide's experiences taking tourists through Tuscany. It's very funny and a great read!

Brunelleschi's Dome: how a Renaissance genius reinvented architecture by Ross King is a wonderful read if you are going to Florence. It is less than 200 pages, non-fiction but written like historical fiction and it tells the story of how the Duomo was completed. After reading it, I couldn't wait to go back to Florence and climb the stairs. Enjoy! (King also wrote Michelangelo and the Pope's ceiling which my son loved)

Archived