Which Airline?

mdandrh

When we flew to Hawaii from LAX in April of 2007, we were fortunate to be assigned to Hawaiian Airlines by NCL. We were VERY unfortunate to be assigned to American Airlines for the trip back -- a horrible end to a wonderful trip.

This time around we've debating whether to go with NCL to handle all the arrangements once again or to take care of air and transfers ourselves.

Does anyone know if Hawaiian still has the excellent in-cabin service: full meal service, snack service, drink service, etc?

I remember how devastated we were when the American flight took off for the long flight back to L.A. and the flight attendant announced that they would offer a green salad for purchase later in the flight. That was the totality of the food service for a long, long flight! A green salad! (Well, actually, they had large candy bars and bagged snacks, but that doesn't qualify as food service to me!)

We're not experienced travelers and one member of the party is my 86-year-old mother, so the thought of having NCL be responsible for getting us to the ship is comforting, but I sure would like to have the Hawaiian Airlines experience again! There will be six of us in three cabins on this trip.

Any thoughts?

I just booked Hawaiian Air from PHX to HNL roundtrip and it did indicate that there would be a meal served each way. Not sure how much that helps as I am not sure WHAT the meal is, but is was indicated as a MEAL and not a SNACK.

I am happy to know you think they have excellent service- we have only flown them from HNL to OGG - short trip. Thanks.

I haven't been on Hawaiian, but I fly Continental quite a bit and find what they call a "meal" (at least in coach) a "snack", and a rather poor one at that; for example, my "meal" on an early afternoon flight from the NYC area to Los Angeles was a sandwich (which was probably made a year ago based on the condition of the roll), containing an unidentfiable lunch meat and american cheese, a small bag of corn chips, and a bag of raher limp carrots. So far as I have seen, none of the major airlines provide even passable service, it's just an uncomfortable bus ride (which often is, sadly, the only practcal way to get to one's destination. I wouldn't hold out hope for very much, at least on the major carriers.

As others have stated, don't plan on getting much of a meal for a long flight. Even if they do serve something, it will be early in the flight and then there will be nothing. Whenever we go on a long flight now, we pick something up at the airport to take on board with and also bring lots of snacks - just in case.

My husband always likes a snack on top of what ever the airline does. I really did like the plane that Continental used for flights to Europe. Maybe it has the same ones going to Hawaii. Sure made the time go faster. Nancy

well, last oct. we flew Hawaiian and we got full meal s and snack s

at no cost....

id book seperately and take a cab for transportation..i think NCL uses

the Marriot hotel on Wakikii and they have a NCL desk there..

When we flew to Hawaii from LAX in April of 2007, we were fortunate to be assigned to Hawaiian Airlines by NCL. We were VERY unfortunate to be assigned to American Airlines for the trip back -- a horrible end to a wonderful trip.

This time around we've debating whether to go with NCL to handle all the arrangements once again or to take care of air and transfers ourselves.

Does anyone know if Hawaiian still has the excellent in-cabin service: full meal service, snack service, drink service, etc?

I remember how devastated we were when the American flight took off for the long flight back to L.A. and the flight attendant announced that they would offer a green salad for purchase later in the flight. That was the totality of the food service for a long, long flight! A green salad! (Well, actually, they had large candy bars and bagged snacks, but that doesn't qualify as food service to me!)

We're not experienced travelers and one member of the party is my 86-year-old mother, so the thought of having NCL be responsible for getting us to the ship is comforting, but I sure would like to have the Hawaiian Airlines experience again! There will be six of us in three cabins on this trip.

Any thoughts?

I traveled round trip to Hawaii in 2006 and 2007. I was provided a nice meal all four legs. A neighbor returned last Sunday and told me in addition to "normal service" a premium meal is offered for ten dollars. Check link below or go to hawaiianair.com and at the bottom of page is a link for "site map" That will give you all the info you need. I enjoyed my flight on Hawaiian Airlines and they reasonable to boot.

SSD

http://www.hawaiianair.com/Services/Pages/coachmeal2.aspx

Archived