Zaandam Activities?

bzv143

Thinking of booking an Alaska cruise on Zaandam and was wondering about the shipboard activities. We will be bring 2 elderly ladies with us who have never cruised and hope there are activities (and tours) that would interest them. Help!

It really depends on what you consider activities. They have daily bingo, cooking demonstrations, port talks, ship tours(in beginning and only of public areas), and during the cruise they have different classes. There is a daily program that is printed everyday so check that out to plan your day accordingly.

Alaska is port intensive so each day you are in port there is plenty to do. Plus one day will be scenic cruising in Glacier Bay.

One activity to avoid is the on-board shopping . . . :D

Sometimes they will hold jewelry demonstratins, etc. (hoping to sell stuff)

On the Zaandam this summer is a gentleman named Kainoa--he is Hawaiian, but is the ship's semi-permanent expert on all things Hawaii and Alaska.

Expect several talks in the Mondriaan Lounge covering history, geography and local culture. He usually speaks over the PA system a few times as the ship sails in to, out of or near especially sceneic or historic spots.

He is also made available in the Exploration's Cafe as a 'travel guide'. He's quite a wealth of knowledge and information. Chat with him for advice on upcoming ports.

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully, I will have scans of all the Zaandam's daily activity sheets when we return in a couple of weeks.

How was the cruise? Hope it was great! We go to Alaska 6/5:D

Do you have daily activity sheets scans?

Thanks!

How was the cruise? Hope it was great! We go to Alaska 6/5:D

Do you have daily activity sheets scans?

Thanks!

Have the Daily Programs in front of me and will be scanning them in tomorrow. This was our first cruise on HAL (have done two on NCL, one on Carnival and one on Windjammer) and, sorry to say, I didn't feel HAL lived up to the hype. I imagine that's not what you want to hear but I'd rather tell it like it is than outright lie about it (unusual for an advertising guy, huh?). The weather was perfect and the ports were great but very little else delivered the "WOW Factor" that we thought we'd experience. Our steward was terrible (no fruit, no soap/shampoo, had to ask for everything in writing over and over again), both room service and scheduled dining orders were often wrong, and the food quality/taste was often 'good not great' in our opinion. Living close to Disney World (we're annual passholders) maybe our expectations for good service and an above-average product were too lofty. Look for the Zaandam Daily Program thread in the next day or two.

On the Zaandam this summer is a gentleman named Kainoa--he is Hawaiian, but is the ship's semi-permanent expert on all things Hawaii and Alaska.

Expect several talks in the Mondriaan Lounge covering history, geography and local culture. He usually speaks over the PA system a few times as the ship sails in to, out of or near especially sceneic or historic spots.

He is also made available in the Exploration's Cafe as a 'travel guide'. He's quite a wealth of knowledge and information. Chat with him for advice on upcoming ports.

I feel the need to comment on this "travel expert" as we went to two of his presentations and spoke with him privately in the Explorations Cafe. I'm probably a bit bias as part of what I do for a living is present to groups. As for his presentation abilities, the nice way to position it is to say he has a great amount of room for improvement. He repeated himself, his dialogue did not match his slides, and his presentation order was sporadic at best. As for his "one-on-one" knowledge of areas, we felt we knew more about the ports (thanks to this forum) than he did. We did see him in Juneau heading to a local fast food joint...rather humorous as he had just encouraged his audience to "find the real Alaska off the beaten path". :rolleyes:

Our steward was terrible (no fruit, no soap/shampoo, had to ask for everything in writing over and over again), both room service and scheduled dining orders were often wrong, and the food quality/taste was often 'good not great' in our opinion. Living close to Disney World (we're annual passholders) maybe our expectations for good service and an above-average product were too lofty. Look for the Zaandam Daily Program thread in the next day or two.

I'm very sorry to hear this! Where was your cabin?

Will you be posting a complete review?:confused:

I'm very sorry to hear this! Where was your cabin?

Will you be posting a complete review?:confused:

We were in DD3312 on the Lower Promenade of Zaandam. Though I will be posting a more indepth review in a few days, you can see my Cliff Notes version in the 17th post of this thread.

Can't wait for your full review:eek:

Will you be posting the daily docs, too?

Thanks!

Yes...but the scans I will have to do at work as my home scanner can't handle the size. Will be posted on Monday afternoon.

I feel the need to comment on this "travel expert" as we went to two of his presentations and spoke with him privately in the Explorations Cafe. I'm probably a bit bias as part of what I do for a living is present to groups. As for his presentation abilities, the nice way to position it is to say he has a great amount of room for improvement. He repeated himself, his dialogue did not match his slides, and his presentation order was sporadic at best. As for his "one-on-one" knowledge of areas, we felt we knew more about the ports (thanks to this forum) than he did. We did see him in Juneau heading to a local fast food joint...rather humorous as he had just encouraged his audience to "find the real Alaska off the beaten path". :rolleyes:

Just home from the May 22nd sailing, and I totally agree. I was especially disappointed because we only had Kainoa as a travel guide, no on-board naturalist as I expected :( All in all, I wasn't too impressed with this cruise either. :(

Just home from the May 22nd sailing, and I totally agree. I was especially disappointed because we only had Kainoa as a travel guide, no on-board naturalist as I expected :( All in all, I wasn't too impressed with this cruise either. :(

Will you be posting a review? :confused:

We're about to get on this ship Friday. :eek::eek:!!

This is our first HAL cruise.

We've been to Alaska on NCL and have done Mexico with Carnival.

Both were lovely experiences.

Hoping for the same with HAL

Thanks!

Will you be posting a review? :confused:

We're about to get on this ship Friday. :eek::eek:!!

This is our first HAL cruise.

We've been to Alaska on NCL and have done Mexico with Carnival.

Both were lovely experiences.

Hoping for the same with HAL

Thanks!

Will post a review soon. We got home late last night and I need to catch up with 250 emails and voicemails at the office first :eek:

FloridaAdGuy

Do you have those scans from your zaandam cruise?

Was hoping to see them before my turn on Friday:D

Thanks!

Yes...the thread can be found here. Have a great cruise and ask any questions not answered by the Daily Programs and I'll try to help! :)

Archived