Don't want to get in trouble, so do you know....

brendak28

Is it "legal" to bring shells back from the Caribbean. I bought a Conch shell in Cozumel last year, but wanted to know if you find small shells on the beach, can you bring them back into the country? I think that shells make good souvenirs to remember different places. Thanks in advance for your answers. And before anyone says it, I would look for shells without animals in them!!;)

I think it depends on what area you are in. I know on passion Island you can as long as they are empty. But I think there are some areas of Coz that are protected and you can't take anything from there.

I don't know the legalities of this situation, but I don't see why not. My wife likes sitting on the edge of the ocean to pick shells when on vacation and she just brings an old sock to keep them in for the plane ride home. We have used these shells to make centerpieces for our coffee table and to make our niece a necklace to remember her cruise by. Go for it!!! :p

We brought back some beautiful conch shells that we found on the beach at the "conch graveyard" in Grand Turk. We had about three of them and it was no problem - and we travelled by plane back to Canada.

Our Cruise this time is going to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan, and St. Thomas. Two of these stops are beach stops, and I have heard that Grand Turk has lots of shells. Thanks for your replies!!

I would think it would be okay to take a few home (as long as you aren't out on the beach with BIG sacks :eek:). I know that while in the Bahamas in December, we found a few shells on the beach to take home to our DS. :)

I have hd no problem bringing shells back to Canada. I would consider cleaning the shells well if found on the beach. You never know what is left on the inside. You'd know if something was left inside after a day or two and an odd smell was aparent...

I plan on bringing back one or two mroe when I goto Grand Turk as I love conch shells!!! I want to find the biggest one I and bring it back!!

Our Cruise this time is going to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan, and St. Thomas. Two of these stops are beach stops, and I have heard that Grand Turk has lots of shells. Thanks for your replies!!

When you get off the ship in Grand Turk - go right and walk for a ways along the beach and you will come to the "conch graveyard" it is amazing how many shells are there - so many interesting shapes and sizes too.

Archived