Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Dave - the Doubletree also runs a free local shuttle, so you can pretty much pick what restaurant you want to eat at. If you aren't a Hilton Honors member, I suggest you join and add your number to your reservation (you can call the 800 number) - this helps raise your odds of getting an upgraded room (with possibly a view) if it's available and also gives you points/miles toward future free Hilton stays. You also usually get a few free bottles of water in your room.

Bummer. I had high hopes for Crabby Bill's, since it is right next door to the Radisson Bay Harbor hotel where we are staying. Apparently you can see manatees in the causeway from the higher rooms...that sounds neat! :D

If you are a Hilton member you should provide your number on the Doubletree or Hampton reservations. If you are not a member, I don't know if I would sign up without future stays or point earnings planned. Their program is restrictive in that if you have no future points earned within 1 year, you are ineligible to rejoin for (used to be) 8 years. The other hotel programs seem to be OK with re-activating your membership even if you haven't stayed or earned for a while. That would be just my opinion. :) :)

If you are a Hilton member you should provide your number on the Doubletree or Hampton reservations. If you are not a member, I don't know if I would sign up without future stays or point earnings planned. Their program is restrictive in that if you have no future points earned within 1 year, you are ineligible to rejoin for (used to be) 8 years. The other hotel programs seem to be OK with re-activating your membership even if you haven't stayed or earned for a while. That would be just my opinion.
I HAD a HH Rewards #, but alas, it appears to have expired! :( I rejoined just prior to booking.. Hey, its worth it if there is a possibility of anything FREE! (or an upgrade).. Hope they don't question the 'very large' 18 year old being classified as a 'child' on the reservation..:eek:

Was almost positive that was a Shula's... We were at the Bahama Breeze and walked across the street.. Sports oriented, and a bit above medium, class-wise..! Nice place.. Maybe it was Landry's.. :p

Barb.. Thanks for the info on the Doubletree.. Lots of planning and figuring (plotting I could say), and with a 'swift kick' that $108.00 deal made it a 'done deal'.. Can't go wrong at that price, and TripAdvisor has it rated #17 out of 142!:D

Dave - I don't think you'll be disappointed as it is a suite. We join every frequent traveller program we can - it doesn't hurt and have received a few perks throughout our stays (free bottles of water, upgrades, etc.). With Hilton you can earn points and airline miles. Even if you don't earn the points for a free hotel stay, you can still get the miles on your favorite airline.

Doubletree Suites looks fine to me... Guess I just needed the 'push' as others have recommended it..:) And at $108.00, its a steal...

Who knows, Denise may decide to just stay at the hotel/pool all day the day before we cruise, as she just can't get into the 'pool scene' on the ship..! (Not the big one's, anyhow)..:eek: Usually too many kiddies..

We usually use Choice Hotels, as they always seem to have a decent one wherever we usually travel, but Tampa didn't have one handy that we could find, and was recommended..:rolleyes: :p

We stayed at Tampa Riverwalk 4 weeks ago. They are remodeling and the hotel is fine . For 70 bucks it is a steal. The river view was nice at night during day a little muddy. Food in resaurant was good and free shuttle was great. We walked 2 blocks to 2 drug stores and a great bagle store. You will love your stay for 70 dollars, i paid 116 and felt i had a great deal. Any thing else I could help with just ask.

We stayed at Tampa Riverwalk 4 weeks ago. They are remodeling and the hotel is fine . For 70 bucks it is a steal. The river view was nice at night during day a little muddy. Food in resaurant was good and free shuttle was great. We walked 2 blocks to 2 drug stores and a great bagle store. You will love your stay for 70 dollars, i paid 116 and felt i had a great deal. Any thing else I could help with just ask.

Did you have a special promo code or what site did you use to book this? I just checked for January 9 and the rate is $339. ouch! no way!

Did you have a special promo code or what site did you use to book this? I just checked for January 9 and the rate is $339. ouch! no way!
I just checked one the the major 'hotel' comparison websites and couldn't find anything in the price range of $339.00... WOW!:eek:

Any of the travel sites should give better pricing than that.. :p I saw the Embassy/East and Grand Hyatt for under $200...

How is the parking? What resturants are near? Is it safe to walk around at night?

I just booked a year in advance with AAA rate. It was under construction so that could of helped with the price. We ate onsite. It was great and fairly priced. We walked the next day to the drugstore. Saw some pizza places and subs.

I just booked a year in advance with AAA rate. It was under construction so that could of helped with the price. We ate onsite. It was great and fairly priced. We walked the next day to the drugstore. Saw some pizza places and subs.
We booked quite a while in advance and used AAA, but our rates weren't as good as yours.. :p

Probably 'cause the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers were in town for a Sunday afternoon game...:)

ps: Steelers won...:D

Thanks peanutgirl!!! That's the response I was hoping for!:D :D

I just checked one the the major 'hotel' comparison websites and couldn't find anything in the price range of $339.00... WOW!:eek:

Any of the travel sites should give better pricing than that.. :p I saw the Embassy/East and Grand Hyatt for under $200...

just checked again...priceline is still $339 for this place. i'm going to stick with my $99 sailport waterfront for the one night.

just checked again...priceline is still $339 for this place. i'm going to stick with my $99 sailport waterfront for the one night.
They must have had a Convention or something for that one night! That is horrendous, and the Riverwalk is certainly not worth anything near that price!:eek: I don't recall ever staying in a hotel I'd think was worth that...:rolleyes: :p

Sailport will be fine... Any of the Rocky Point hotels are nice, and inexpensive..:D

They must have had a Convention or something for that one night! That is horrendous, and the Riverwalk is certainly not worth anything near that price!:eek: I don't recall ever staying in a hotel I'd think was worth that...:rolleyes: :p

Sailport will be fine... Any of the Rocky Point hotels are nice, and inexpensive..:D

I was hesitant to book the Sailport because of mixed reviews but looking forward to sitting out on the balcony and enjoying the view of the bay. Great way to start my cruise vacation in my opinion! I don't need fancy....just clean.

No way would I pay the $339. Thats more than my cruise!

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites Tampa-Airport/Westshore at 555 N. Westshore Blvd? We have booked a pre-cruise night there - They have a free shuttle from airport and complimentary hot breakfast - AARP rate of $89, which I thought was great......any info about this hotel will be appreciated.;)

The search function is down so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

I am staying at the Sailport and read in an earlier post you can rent jet skis. Where at and how much? Also, is there para-sailing anywhere?

I was told by the Sailport when I booked via phone that Whiskey Joes is near. Saw the website and it looks right up my alley. Any thoughts, opinions?

The Sailport has liquor for sale on site. Prices and what do they have? They said they will shuttle within 5 miles. Any liquor stores within that range?

Last question, is there trolley access and where will that take me.

I'm so sorry to ask all these questions but CC is not being very nice to me right now. Even when I try to read the thread it gives me "This page not currently available", "Search function down", and sometimes "You do not have access to this page".:(

Thank you,

Lisa:p

For the price your paying its a steal! The hotel is fine with decent restaurants. Lots of places to eat all around the area, near 2 top end malls, and 20 minutes from the pier. I'm in that area all the time for meetings and I know the area real well. Give me a "Holla" if you need to know anything specific about the stay in Tampa.

Mark

I am staying at the Sailport and read in an earlier post you can rent jet skis. Where at and how much? Also, is there para-sailing anywhere?

I was told by the Sailport when I booked via phone that Whiskey Joes is near. Saw the website and it looks right up my alley. Any thoughts, opinions?

The Sailport has liquor for sale on site. Prices and what do they have? They said they will shuttle within 5 miles. Any liquor stores within that range?

Last question, is there trolley access and where will that take me.

I'm so sorry to ask all these questions but CC is not being very nice to me right now. Even when I try to read the thread it gives me "This page not currently available", "Search function down", and sometimes "You do not have access to this page".:(

Thank you,

I'm staying at The Sailport in January so I'd also love to know what is in that area or at least within the shuttle area. What is Whiskey Joes? Nobody talks about the Sailport on these boards. Hope that isn't a bad sign.

I'm staying at The Sailport in January so I'd also love to know what is in that area or at least within the shuttle area. What is Whiskey Joes? Nobody talks about the Sailport on these boards. Hope that isn't a bad sign.

Whiskey Joe's is a local place, bar/restaurant, good bands, good happy hour, good prices and good reviews on trip advisor, but no web site. I would like to go there Fri. then Bahama Breeze on Sat.

There is also the Rusty Pelican. It and Wh.Joes are right by the Sailport.

Advice from a Florida pal on a different thread is Sailport is a great value in a perfect location if your just wanting to relax over the water, have a few good meals and listen to some local music. It sounds perfect for me as I have no children to entertain, don't care to shop and want a big suite with a balcony overlooking the ocean. And at $79 the Sailport more than fits the bill. I can't wait.

But I did have those other questions if anyone can answer them...

Happy Monday!

Lisa

Whiskey Joe's is a local place, bar/restaurant, good bands, good happy hour, good prices and good reviews on trip advisor, but no web site. I would like to go there Fri. then Bahama Breeze on Sat.

There is also the Rusty Pelican. It and Wh.Joes are right by the Sailport.

Advice from a Florida pal on a different thread is Sailport is a great value in a perfect location if your just wanting to relax over the water, have a few good meals and listen to some local music. It sounds perfect for me as I have no children to entertain, don't care to shop and want a big suite with a balcony overlooking the ocean. And at $79 the Sailport more than fits the bill. I can't wait.

But I did have those other questions if anyone can answer them...

Happy Monday!

Lisa

Thanks! Whiskey Joe's sounds great. It will be just my husband and I staying the night before the cruise. We get into Tampa at 11 am though and will have the whole day. I'm also looking forward to the balcony overlooking the ocean. When I called the Sailport I asked the question about a liquor store being within the 5 mile radius they said yes but they didn't mention to me anything about being able to buy liquor right at the Sailport. $79 is a great deal. I got ours for $99 in January and it was by far the best deal out there. Thanks again. Hopefully someone can answer the other questions.

Thank you,

I found the answers to my other questions, but still looking for answers to the 2 above.:confused:

I had posted this in the larger forum, but realized that I may have a better chance asking here.

We are going on the Christmas cruise out of Tampa. We are looking for a hotel where they will let us park our cars for the week of the cruise (we are all driving from different states).

My father is trying to get us to go the Days Inn, Ybor City on Melbourne Boulevard. I do not have a good feeling about the area based on some reviews that I have read online.

Can anyone confirm the appropriateness (or not) of this location?

Can you PLEASE give me other ideas for hotels to stay that will be clean and safe? It would help if I have other alternatives to present to him. If it comes down to it, my family and I will stay somewhere else, but I am not familiar with the area.

So far, I thought that maybe Howard Johnson Plaza Tampa-Downtown would work with their Ship and Shore package at $105. Any opinions?

Thanks!