Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Streran-It's been about 4 years since I've stayed at the Courtyard downtown and when I did I arrived late at nite and left in the morning. My impression is that it is about what you would expect from a good Courtyard. The main disadvantage to it is that it's slightly on the opposite end of downtown from where you would want to be, in other words it would be a healthy walk to Channelside or the Aquarium and probably would not want to do it at nite. Of course one of deciding factors would be price, if I felt it was a good deal I would certainly stay there again. If it were me I would probably use this as my cancellable backup and try for one of the downtown 3* hotels via priceline.

injunjoe - Thanks. Sounds good. When you get back after your stay, post a review of the Double Tree here on this thread if you can. What I see from the road, and your experience staying there could be different. I'm not sure what would be going on around 1/12.

StreRan - I can't add much to what mdc99 reported. It's on the opposite side of town from the terminals and Channelside, and you certainly don't want to walk that route at night. There's not much of anything in the area of the Courtyard, as far as good restaurants. You would probably need a taxi for anything worthwhile (if you don't have a car). The area of town where the Courtyard is located is primarily office/business/court related, and things kind of shut down around there after 5PM, including the places where the work day crowd eat at.

Ken

we are doing a transatlantic apr 30th.....rccI is putting us up at Hyatt regency......does anyone know if it is close to places to eat and walk around...we get in and it will be still daylight..never been to Tampa

Thanks

Here's a link with some info:

http://tamparegency.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

This hotel is almost in the middle of downtown Tampa, and is a nice hotel. You could walk a few blocks to the south of the hotel and find the street car station. The street cars run from in front of the Marriott Waterside Hotel, to the east and down past the Channelside complex where there are shops, restaurants and entertainment. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

http://www.channelside.com/

It's about 5 blocks from the Hyatt Regency down to the street car station, and that could be a spooky walk later a night since most everything in the area is closed except for the hotel. There's not a lot in downtown near the Hyatt that's open at night. Tampa also has a River Walk along the Hillsborough River and the Garrison Channel and it's accessible around the Tampa Convention Center and the street car station.

As for Cuban restaurants - The best Cuban restaurants are smaller mom and pop type places which can be found in various locations, more so in W. Tampa along Columbus Drive and W. Hillsborough Ave. There's a larger Cuban restaurant called La Terrasita on W. Columbus Drive, miles from the Hyatt.

I'm not familiar with a Cuban restaurant near the Hyatt. I love Cuban food, and I know where to find a lot of these places hidden here and there around Tampa.

I know of two nice Spanish restaurants in Tampa, and they may have some dishes similar to, or like, Cuban food. One is the Valencia Garden Restaurant on W. Kennedy Blvd. just W. of the University of Tampa. It's not far from the Hyatt, but I'd suggest a taxi to get there. I've been there several times, and I love it. Another place is the Columbia Restaurant at 7th Ave and 22nd St. This place opened in 1905 and is kind of a tradition in Tampa. It would take a taxi to get here too, unless you take the street car (it's a block S. of the Eastern terminus of the street car line). These aren't cheap restaurants, but they are really expensive either.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

http://www.weeklyplanet.com/2003-04-02/food_feature.html

Here's a listing of downtown Tampa restaurants - I see two Cuban restaurants listed on Morgan Street. Unknown if they are open at night. A lot of downtown restaurants service the business and government crowd, and close early.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ken...one more question about a hotel in Tampa and i SWEAR I will leave you alone. LOL We are tentatively booked at the LaQuinta/Airport on Spruce St for the night after the cruise. It seems to be what we want....close to airport, restaurant on site, pool, airport shuttle. Any input on this property? I am guessing it is in a decent area.

Thanks

Injun Joe

Injun Joe - Not a problem. The area of this LaQuinta isn't bad. It's in the area of the Westshore Business District. It's on the road that goes along the S. end of the airport. It's an older LaQuinta, with outside entry rooms. I haven't ever seen anyone write bad about it. I go by there often. The place doesn't look bad or anything. I think it will work for you. I don't think jets fly directly over head, but certainly nearby. That sort of traffic dies off late at night anyway. There are some other restaurants just down the road a short ways too.

Hope y'all enjoy your stay and cruise.

Ken :cool:

Cracker Ken,

thanks again for your advice. We had a nice, abeit short, time at Tampa before we got on the Horizon. Pity, that she will not sail out of Tampa anymore.

mahdnc - Thanks for the note. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I hope you found some of the info I gave you useful during the trip. I agree, it's a shame that they are pulling the Horizon. I never got the chance to sail on her out of Tampa. We are certainly fans of brand "X", but it looks like we won't be on the Horizon.

Ken

Ken, Can you recommend any shuttle services to the port? I have a one night pre-cruise stay at Crowne Plaza Tampa East. There are 14 people in our group. Do you recommend taxis or shuttles, and can you recommend any? Thanks so much!!!

-Corinne

mahdnc - I agree, it's a shame that they are pulling the Horizon. I never got the chance to sail on her out of Tampa. We are certainly fans of brand "X", but it looks like we won't be on the Horizon.

Ken

Information is just beginning to trickle out on the itineraries for the upcoming cruise season for Celebrity. One posting on the Celebrity board indicated that the Zenith will be sailing out of Tampa during Winter 2007, doing 10/11 night trips. So if true, you will have an opportunity to try out Horizon's sister.

Hi Ken,

We will be arriving in Tampa on July 22 and are planning to go to Busch Gardens on Saturday. Our cruise leaves on Sunday. We would like to avoid renting a car and either use a taxi, shuttle, streetcar or trolley for transportation. I think my daughter (6 years old) will think it's cool to ride on the streetcar/trolley. Do you know what area would be best for us to stay in? I've been looking at the Tampa Marriott Waterside since it's close to the port.

Thanks!

LisaCobb-I think that I and Ken both have addressed the Marriott Waterside earlier in this thread although I know it's getting long to read all the posts. The Waterside is considered one of the nicest hotels in Tampa and would definitely be my #1 pick for a pre-cruise stay because of the location. A quick check showed rates of $129nt. for your dates, if it were me I would immediately book this (provided it's within budget). That rate is reasonable(by their standards) compared to rates there that quite often will be 2X-3X that. A taxi will be approx. $20 from the airport and probably a similar amount ea. way to Busch Gardens. Of course you could probably rent a car for a similar amount but by the time you pay hotel parking and Busch Gardens parking you would probably be behind. Hope this helps.

Hi Ken,

We will be arriving in Tampa on July 22 and are planning to go to Busch Gardens on Saturday. Our cruise leaves on Sunday. We would like to avoid renting a car and either use a taxi, shuttle, streetcar or trolley for transportation. I think my daughter (6 years old) will think it's cool to ride on the streetcar/trolley. Do you know what area would be best for us to stay in? I've been looking at the Tampa Marriott Waterside since it's close to the port.

Thanks!

We were just at the Tampa Marriott Waterside back in March for our Horizon cruise and highly recommend both!

If you stay there, make sure you ask for a room whose balcony overlooks the port! Here is a picture of the port from our room (Inspiration is in the photo):

DSC00053c.JPG.1d001519b48bae5a56854c1ee05629f7.JPG

LisaCobb - I certainly agree with mdc99 regarding the Marriott Waterside Hotel. The area is great too. As mentioned, this hotel and various items about the area are covered in detail in the thread. I know it's getting long these days, so it can take a long time to sort through all of it.

Also, as mdc99 says, the best way to go to and from Busch Gardens from the hotel near the port is to use a taxi. No parking fees to worry with, and the taxi driver knows the way. I don't recommend city buses, and there are no street car lines or anything similar going out there.

There is a street car line that runs from in front of the Marriott, all the way down to Ybor City. It will take you down to the Channelside district and the Florida Aquarium, then up past the docks and to the Ybor City Latin District. It's fun and not expensive.

For details about the Marriott Waterside, Channelside District, Street Car Line, etc, please click on the link in my signature below for my Yahoo photo page. There is an album for Tampa.

CruisinRin - With the distance and number of people, I'd recommend using Bay Shuttle. Check out their web site:

http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/

Getting together enough taxi's for that group, and considering the distance involved, it would cost you a fortune. You can probably do better with a shuttle service.

Laurie715 - My office is next door to the Sailport Resort. It's located right on the water. The rooms are set up like vacation condo's. There is a separate bedroom, and in the hall they have bunk beds set into the wall. There is a small living room and dining room area, along with a kitchen. This place isn't a luxury hotel, but I consider it very adequate and clean. I've been in the rooms since my co-workers used to stay there when in town. As I recall, all of the rooms face to the west, towards the water. There's a couple of nearby restaurants. I like Landry's Seafood the best. Another place, the Green Iquana (great burgers and such), was just torn down. This hotel is one of a few located on Rocky Point, which is an island just to the W. of the Tampa Intl Airport along SR60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway). I see a lot of families at this place. The military houses people there from time to time, especially out of town people working at MacDill AFB. I've seen the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds staying there before, as well as other uniformed military folks. Here's the link:

http://www.sailport.com/

Hope this helps. Y'all have fun!

Ken

Has anyone stayed at the Wyndham Harbor Island? They have a really good summer time AAA special going on ($89. with breakfast for two). I had read that Ken's friend stayed there and was disappointed. Does anyone else have an opinion? I like the location of the hotel and have not been successful on Priceline getting a hotel in this area for a price that I want.

swiss - The only negative I've heard before is from a cruiser who stayed there back in January. I'm not aquainted with her, and just corresponded with her on the threads. She had stayed at the Marriott Waterside (close to the Wyndham) pre-cruise, then was at the Wyndham afterwards. I can't remember all the details, but I think it had to do with a need for a sprucing up of the hotel, like carpet or something. Anyway, for $89, considering the location, it might not be a bad choice. It's right on the water, on the S side of Garrison Channel at the mouth of the Hillsborough River, across from the Marriott Waterside and the Tampa Convention Center. The street car station is just over the bridge in front of the Marriott, in easy walking distance. There are pictures of this hotel in my Tampa album at my Yahoo photo page - the link is below in my signature block. I've been into the lobby area, conference center, restaurant, and adjoining offices before, and it seemed like a nice place to me. Most Wyndham's have a decent reputation. I haven't been in any of the guest rooms though. Hopefully someone who has stayed there will see this and post.

Ken

I've not stayed there either but for $89 including breakfast is an awesome price for anyplace in Tampa, let alone downtown Tampa! Just make sure it's not $89 per person.

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Ybor City. It's also close to the cruise port and just a couple blocks off the Ybor City nightclub/restaurant district. But I'm sure their rate is much higher than $89.

BobK/Orlando

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

Swiss-I've stayed at the Wyndham Harbor Island about 3-4 times in the past, although the most recent has probably been about 2 years ago. As has been mentioned it could probably use a little updating. I occasionally see a slightly negative review on the Wyndham and I feel like it probably has something to do with the price paid. For the rate that your looking at, and especially if it includes breakfast I would consider it a bargain. It's location is ideal for a pre-cruise stay. If it were me I would probably book it immediately and then could spend my time researching what I wanted to do while in Tampa.

George - That hotel is on the NW corner of the downtown business core. It's just E of the Hillsborough River and S. of I-275. The area is predominantly business oriented. Most of the places to eat that are close to this hotel are small places that cater to the downtown work day crowd. I'm not familiar with any bigger restaurants real close to there. There could be, but I can't recall anything. As far as things to do, the Tampa Museum is S. of the hotel along Ashley Drive.

One of the nicest areas for folks to go is on the opposite side of downtown, at the Channelside District which is in the area of the cruise terminals. The Florida Aquarium is there, and that's a nice place to visit. There is a retired US Navy supply ship docked there, and it's open for tours. There are various restaurants and bar/lounges in that complex, as well as an IMAX theater. The street car line runs by the Channelside District, and it can take you into the historic Ybor City Latin District. There are various restaurants and things in this area. The Centro Ybor complex has movies and entertainment. Night time in Ybor turns into an adult (bar hopping) atmosphere.

A block or two to the E. of the Courtyard , you will find Franklin Street. If you were to walk to the South on Franklin St. several blocks (it's quite a ways, but if you like to walk...), you will come to the end of Franklin St where you will find the Southern Street Car station. On the way S. on Franklin, S. of Kennedy Blvd, you might come to a point where Franklin stops, if so, go E 1 block to Florida and continue South to the end. The street cars are kind of fun, and something different, and they will take you to Channelside, the FL Aquarium, and Ybor. Also, at the end of Franklin St is the Tampa Convention Center. There is a plaza out front of the conv center along the Garrison Channel and the mouth of the Hillsborough River. At that point you can access the River Walk.

Depending on the time of year you are coming to Tampa, you could get into afternoon thunderstorms. Lightning is very bad in this area. In fact, the Tampa area, including an oval shaped zone going inland about 50 miles, and about 40 miles to the N. and S. of Tampa is the lightning capital of the USA (I got that info at a lightning seminar put on by Vaisala, Inc, the folks who operate the National Lightning Detection Network based in Tucson). If you venture out on foot in the afternoon, keep this in mind.

As for restaurants, I could keep you eating at a new place every night for many days. Most all of them would require a taxi from the Courtyard. Theer are a few good places at the Channelside District. There are other things to do in Tampa like the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) in N. Tampa near the University of South Florida, the Lowry Park Zoo, and Busch Gardens. It just depends on how long you will be in town, and transportation needs.

If more questions, just ask. If you want some good eating places, I can give you some good ideas (other than what I mentioned above).

Here's a link to Channelside: http://www.channelside.com/

Street cars: http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

Zoo: http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/

MOSI: http://www.mosi.org/

USS American Victory: http://www.americanvictory.org/archive/page3.asp

Tampa Museum of Art: http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Museum/

Plant Museum: http://www.plantmuseum.com/

Have fun.

Ken

Our group of 8 - 6 from Philadelphia, 2 from Melbourne Fla. sailed out of Tampa on 1/31. We stayed at the Chase Hotel and I cannot say enough nice things about the hotel. They picked the 6 of us up at the airport. Advised us if we needed to go to anywhere within 5 miles they would take us. We walked to the restaurant next door (Bahama Mama). We reserved two two bedroom suites. They each had a small kitchen, living room, two baths and two king size beds. I did notice dust on the ceiling fans but what the hey, there's dust on the ceiling fan in my dining room.

My mom and sister drove from Melbourne and parked their car there free for the length of our cruise. The next morning they delivered us to the pier around noon. When we returned home from the cruise we called after we got our luggage and they picked us up at the port drove the 6 of us back to the airport and took my mom and sister back to the hotel for their car. It was soooo easy. I'm not exactly sure but I think the cost was around $170 per room and that included 5 nights parking ($50 at the pier) plus shuttles to the pier. We liked the set up so much we would cruise again from Tampa in a heartbeat.

Ken,

Thank you for all the great info that you provided us. I know I speak for everyone on this thread when I pass along our gratitude for the amount of time that you take out of your day to provide us with this very valuable info. Reading through the posts, I'm convinced that you have saved many people here a lot of time, money, and potential grief.

Once again, thanks.

George