Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Jessemon - Things are really screwy these days on CC. Hard to figure it out. The other night I made a post 3 times without knowing it.Sometimes it's so difficult to use that we give it up. DW is on here a lot during the day, and sometimes she gives up on it. I know it would be very unpopular, but I think a solution to the problems could be to disallow the various little cute icons that do animations, countdown clocks, lots of pictures in signature blocks, etc. Nothing but the littl emoticons should be allowed. If that was tried for a week, there could be a huge difference. Think of the bandwidth all that "data" demands when moving around? Some of the things people have on their posts draw upon another web site while it's up on the screens, and that's more bandwidth. I lot of people couldn't stand it if those things were turned off.

Ken

Hey Ken,

CC site is turning into lots of fun. After last weeks "upgrade":confused: I can no longer get into all threads associated with "Jessemon" in search by user name. This is how I always looked at what I was following daily. The only thing I can get in that search anymore is cruiseline threads I might have answered something on to help someone. No rollcalls (on which I have a thread I started for Zenith at Christmas2006) or special subjects (Hotel suggestions for Tampa) which I always got. Laura & Walt are looking at this. It just makes things harder to navigate.

I have even tried entering tests like I did on this thread to see if it would come up the next time I logged on...NOPE.:mad:

Oh well, I'm sure they will figure it out. I hope soon.

Jeff

PS: 9 1/2 inches of rain here in the pool in West Tampa today. Couldn't even drain it fast enough.

Jessemon- Do you ever try the "Quick Links" tab at the top, towards the R side? Every thread you write on shows up there under "Subscribed Threads" and they stay there until you delete them. That's how I keep track of threads I follow, like this one. It has always worked for me. I've heard of problems with searching before, but this feature has always worked OK.

Nasty weather in Lakeland too, but nothing compared to the W Tampa and Pinellas Co floods.

Ken

Question:

If Busch Gardens is about 20 miles from the hotel we think we may stay at (Double Tree Westshore)....... does anyone know how much a cab would cost to go those 20 miles?

Has anyone here done that?

We are wondering if it is worth it to go to Busch Gardens if a taxi may cost too much.

thanks.

If I recall the cab rates are $2.50 and then .45 for every 1/5 mile.

We took the taxi to the golf course last month when we were in Tampa. So if you check out the mileage from DoubleTree to the Eagles golf course, it cost us $50 each way with a tip.

brisar2 - It's not 20 miles from the Doubletree off of Westshore up to Busch Gardens. I would have guessed 10-12 miles, and MapQuest says it's 11.68 miles. The route given by MapQuest is the route I'd take if driving it. Still, a taxi ride won't be so cheap.

Ken

willsma - No problem in that area. The Quorum used to be a Crowne Plaza Hotel. Though I haven't been inside since it changed, it appeared as though they worked the place over when the change occurred. This is in the Westshore business district at W. Cypress and N. Westshore Blvd. This is the same area we have discussed above. It's close to the airport, and right next to I-275. It's close enough to the Westshore Plaza Mall, that you can easily walk there. The main thing in this area is office buildings, hotels, a couple of malls, and some restaurants.

Ken

Cracker Ken: Perhaps you might be able to help me out also.

I am staying two nights precruise in Tampa (Apr 15&16), it will be myself, husband and daughter (10).

We have booked our hotel through Priceline and won the Residence Inn Tampa (East Tyler Street).

Can you tell me if this area is safe, any good restaurants nearby? How far is it to Busch Gardens? General information like that. How about distance to the airport and then to the cruise terminal (RCCL Line).

Is there any shopping nearby as well. I have skimmed through some of these many pages and did not see mention of this property.

Thanks in advance.

Jessemon- Do you ever try the "Quick Links" tab at the top, towards the R side? Every thread you write on shows up there under "Subscribed Threads" and they stay there until you delete them. That's how I keep track of threads I follow, like this one. It has always worked for me. I've heard of problems with searching before, but this feature has always worked OK.

Nasty weather in Lakeland too, but nothing compared to the W Tampa and Pinellas Co floods.

Ken

Hey Ken,

Already tried the Quick Linkx thing. Shows that I have no subscriptions. Yes I do. I can get into everything, it is a long process and takes a lot of memory. That would be my memory. Which seems to be workng better than CC's at the moment. (HAR):eek:

Got a question for you. Seeing what you used to do with the HCSD. Wife and I were at the port last Saturday and I was taking a few pics of the Veendam in after refit. In the lot on the other side of the security fence behind the Port Authority Building. I had a Sheriff pull up on the other side of the fence and give me the go away wave. I was polite and waved back and left. Is there a problem taking a pic there? I can go right down to Channelside and take all the pics of the siips there I want.

I have taken many pics at that spot before. You think he was just having a bad day or can you not take pics at the port?:confused:

Jeff/Jessemon

PS: Hope they are not doing this to tourists. Boy, wouldn't that look great!

Jessemon - As you might see from the many ship pics I have of Veendam, the old Noordam, and Miracle, I've done the same thing several times. I've never been "caught", but I've anticipated that happening. I suppose they are getting tighter on security. There was a recent homeland security report issued by FDLE which tagged cruise terminals as being easy targets. The Sheriff might be trying to turn that around. Still, I don't see a problem with taking ship pics from outside the fence. If I have the opportunity, I'll try it again. All they can do is tell me to leave, and I'll wave bye-bye to them like you did:p . I don't resemble a stereotypical terrorist suspect, and I sure don't talk like one either.:D

Ken

I'm flying in around midnight for my 7 day trip at the end of April. What hotel can you recommend for me that either offer shuttle or short cab fare. I also prefer one that have service to the port or is close by where a high cab fare is not an issue. Thanks!!

Also can you suggest a hotel for my post trip? I will have a rental car (I'm staying until the next day). Also do Tampa have a Cheesecake Factory?

How's the temp in late April/early May?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, Tampa has a Cheesecake Factory. It is at the new mall International Plaza and Bay Street that is by the DoubleTree (they shuttled us there)

We were there on a Friday night and it is sure a happening place. We really enjoyed ourselves and spent most of Friday night walking around the stores.

airlink diva - How about the Double Tree on W. Cypress that has been discussed lately in this thread? Go up to the entry by tigger296, and go back from there. That should be about what you are looking for. This Double Tree is just E of Westshore Blvd on Cypress. Up at the N end of Westshore is where the International Plaza is. Around behind the mall is an area with some nice restaurants. Cheesecake Factory is one of those. As for your post cruise hotel, the Double Tree would work for that too. Also, you could consider the Hampton Inn in Ybor City. That is covered in detail further up the thread a page or two. In late April and early May, it could be as warm as 80-90, easily. It could be as cool as the 60's in April, but probably low in the 70's.

mrsrosner - Thanks. I'm not sure about the taxi fare from out there to the port. It's around $20-$25 from the airport, and it's closer to the port than Rocky Point. The area at Rocky Point is clean and safe. It's quiet out there at night. I haven't been inside that Double Tree at Rocky Point, but it looks good from the outside. It's next to the water. The Chase Suites, which is covered extensively in this thread, is out on Rocky Point, and they have a package that includes shuttle to/from the port.

BLUEICE - It's about 8 miles from the Residence Inn up to Busch Gardens. That hotel is a nice place, as are most all Residence Inn's. The area is all basically a business district with government buildings, etc. That's about all there is down there. At night, it's a rather dead area of town. Other than the folks at the hotel, and at the Courtyard by Marriott, there probably won't be too many people around. I wouldn't be out walking on the streets around there after dark. This is in downtown Tampa, kind of on the NW corner of the central downtown core. I don't know of any close restaurants or shopping either, especially at night. During the day, you could walk up to the Franklin St. area and there are some various stores and some places to eat down there. I haven't been in that area at night in quite a while, but I can't think of any places to eat in the immediate vicinity. I can think of all sorts of nice places to eat in Tampa, if you have a car, but not next to this hotel. You would be only about 1 1/2 to 2 miles from the cruise terminal (tops). It's about 6 or 7 miles out to the airport.

Ken

Cracker Ken - thanks so much for the info. I checked trip advisor and the Residence Inn seems to get good reviews.

Closer to the pier and Busch Gardens than I thoughts.

Sounds like Busch Gardens will be the thing to do on Easter Sunday.

Thanks again for sharing your info..........

I wish I could get ahold of you but your email is disabled!! I know we all must drive you crazy but I've been reading your posts for months and they should pay you for your wisdom! It is finally my turn to annoy you!!

I am flying in next friday, 2/17, and got a room for 2 nights (pre-cruise) on priceline at the Wyndham Westshore. Can you tell me what you think of the area (West Kennedy Blvd) and the hotel if you know of it?? Also, how far is it from "things", the International Mall, the Airport, the Pier, etc!! Your input is appreciated as it seems your words are gold on these boards! Lucky us that we all have you to turn to!! Thank you in advance for your response! If you would like you can Email me at Kerrinli@optonline.net . My name is Kerri and I am from Long Island NY!!

Can I get a WOOT WOOT!!!!!!'

Carnival Miracle - 10 days!!!

LongIslandCruiseGirl - The area of W. Kennedy Blvd at Westshore Blvd (location of the hotel) is OK. It's a business district and I would consider it safe. Traffic is busy around there on Friday, especially afternoon drive-home time, but seeing as you are from Long Island, it won't seem too bad.:) The Wyndham is a nice hotel. It joins an office tower and there's a parking garage on the rear. On the first floor, they have a Shula's Steakhouse - expensive but worth every penny (portions are huge too). Across the street is Westshore Plaza Mall which is a really nice mall. They have a food court inside, a movie theater, and some nice restaurants out front on the corner nearest the Wyndham. There's a Steak and Ale restaurant on Westshore Blvd in front of the mall. All of this is within walking distance from the Wyndham. Also, on the opposite corner, is a Walgreen's Drug Store. The International Plaza is at the N. end of Westshore Blvd, about a mile. You will be about 2 miles from the airport and 6 miles from the port. There are some pics of the Miracle and the Port of Tampa/Channelside area on my Yahoo photo album page. Those should give you an idea as to where you are headed, and perhaps get you even more excited. Hope y'all have a nice cruise.

Ken

Does anyone have any info on the Radisson Riverfront Hotel? I have a reservation there for our April sailing and I'm just curious with this being downtown near the port if this is a good section of town? Whar shape the hotel is in and especially if it has safe covered parking since I have booked the Sleep & Sail we will be leaving the car there. I know the port has safe covered parking but this will be a little more convenient and also just a little cheaper. Although I am a little concerned about the pickup after the cruise.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated!!!:)

Hello,Ken...

Am cruising in late April, and liked the idea of being close to the piers. Have recently made a reservation for $160+tax at Wyndam Harbor Island hotel, best AAA rate I could get directly.

They include shuttle from airport.

Are there any other equal quality alternatives very nearby that might be significantly cheaper?

Also, is Wyndam Harbor within walking distance of piers/channelside mall/Florida Aquarium ?

Finally, Ken, do regular bus lines run from this area which go to/from piers and Ybor City area?

Thanks in advance.

Northeasterly Heirloom

Does anyone have any info on the Radisson Riverfront Hotel? I have a reservation there for our April sailing and I'm just curious with this being downtown near the port if this is a good section of town? Whar shape the hotel is in and especially if it has safe covered parking since I have booked the Sleep & Sail we will be leaving the car there. I know the port has safe covered parking but this will be a little more convenient and also just a little cheaper. Although I am a little concerned about the pickup after the cruise.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated!!!:)

butnzb,

We have stayed at that several times when we have the "Gasparilla Pirate Invasion" here in Tampa. It is a nice hotel. Clean with resteraunt, lounge and outside Tiki Hut. Right on the Hillsborough River.

As for parking all I can say is when we have stayed there the valet parks the car in the garage at the hotel. I would just E-Mail or call them o find out if the car is parked inside. But I can't imagine it would not be given the location.

As Ken said a few posts ago about the downtown area...at night I probably would not wander to much. But, you could take the car just a mile away and visit Channelside. Movies, resteraunts and bars. Fun place without being to wild at night. You could take a five minute ride from there and go to Ybor City. great dining and people watching although it can get a little wild and scary at night. Think of Bourbon Street. Although it has calmed down a touch. Watch the side streets.

Hope this helps.

Butnzb- Ditto's what Jessemon said about what used to be called the Radisson Riverwalk Hotel. Over the past few months it has changed it's name to the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel. Go here:

http://www.tampariverwalkhotel.com/

I don't know how the change will effect your reservations and the price you had expected. They had this on TV last week. They have really fixed the place up nicely with a major facelift and refurb. Sheraton has what must be the best beds in the hotel industry. I've stayed there before for a trade conference, and it's a really nice place to be.

A suggestion - I'm still a little afraid of walking around town in Tampa after dark, but this isn't the "baddest part of town" by no means. You could take the Riverwalk down to the Convention Center, walk across the street to the street car station, and ride the street car down to Channelside, and on into Ybor City. This would be especially good if you have a chance to do it during the day or early evening. Be sure to check the street car operating schedules, or ask the conductor, so you can make sure it will be available to bring you back. This would be a whole lot more fun than a taxi ride, and quite a bit cheaper too. Here's a link to the street cars:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

Also, if you go to my Yahoo photo album page (link below), then to my Tampa album, you can see pics of the Convention Center, the TECO Street Car station, Channelside, the cruise terminals, and more.

I hope your reservation didn't get spoiled by the change in hotel affiliation.

Heirloom - I've heard of folks getting that hotel cheaper via Priceline, however if you use that service and bid, you might get stuck with another hotel downtown that might not be as convenient. I didn't know it was that high priced at the Wyndham Harbour Island. Check out the Marriott Waterside and see if it's any cheaper. If it is, it won't be by much. There aren't any really cheap hotels downtown. The Courtyard by Marriott and the Residence Inn are in the NW section of the downtown core, but they aren't as close to nice places to eat, etc, and I consider that corner of downtown to be more hazardous. The area of the Wyndham is nice. It's out on Harbour Island, facing the mouth of the Hillsborough River and the Tampa Convention Center. Check out my Tampa photo album (like I mentioned in the above answer). You will see a pic of the Wyndham, etc. If you stay at Wyndham, you could walk from the hotel up Franklin St, over the little bridge at the channel, and up to the street car station. The walk would be around 1/4 mile. From there, you can ride the street car down to Channelside, the cruise terminals, and on down into Ybor City. As I cautioned above, be sure to check the schedules so you can assure a ride back at night. The FL Aquarium is next to the Channelside complex, between terminals 2 and 3. The street car stops are right out front. There are several street car stops in Ybor City too. The E end of the streetcar line is about 1 block N. of the famous Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. If you were at the Wyndham or Marriott Waterside, you wouldn't need a bus or taxi, except perhaps on embarkation day. I don't know if the street cars would be running as early as you might want to go to the cruise terminal, or if they would let you bring your luggage on the street car (I don't know why not, they are never really crowded).

Another alternative I happened to think about, is the Hampton Inn in Ybor City. It's right next to the street car barn and there are street car stops right next to the place. It's a neat hotel, and fits nicely into the surroundings of that area (red brick and wrought iron). It would most likely be cheaper than the Wyndham (I should hope so). It's only a short street car ride down to Channelside. Be careful on the streets of Ybor City at night.

If any other questions, just ask.

Ken

Ken,

Many thanks for your response. I did check Hampton Inn Ybor City, and they are sold out for night needed. Marriot Waterside rate would be about the same as Wyndham ($161), however shuttle to/from airport isn't included (would be $11 each way). Re-checked Wyndham Harbor, and they will take us to airport free when cruise ship returns.

Your description of trolley accessability from Wyndham Harbor sounds good....do you pay the driver when getting on ? If so, do you need exact amount ? How much might that be.

Your photos of the area are great....given the relatively safe looking appearance of the Channelside/Aquarium /Hotel locations, think we'll just stick around there until cruise departure the next day. Upon return, we'll have 6-7 hours until flight departs Tampa International, so perhaps then we'll enoy the aquarium, rather than hang out at the airport! Ken, regarding Channelside, is there good shopping there as well?

Appreciate all your info and ideas. Have a great weekend !

Heirloom Noreasterly:rolleyes:

Heirloom - I know there is quite a bit of shopping available at Channelside. Lots of small shops and more. Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.channelside.com/

Another interesting place is Centro Ybor, in the middle of Ybor City. It's more family oriented than a lot of the area down there.

http://www.centroybor.com/

For a nice dining experience, the Columbia Restaurant, 100 yrs old, is a great Spanish restaurant:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

I knew the fares at one time, and might have posted them somewhere on this thread way back when. Seems like a day pass was $5, but I'm not sure. I do remember that it is very reasonable, if not cheap. They have route, schedule and fare signs in the station, but I can't recall if I saw any change machines there. I'm disappointed to see that they don't have fares or the current schedules posted on their web site. I'm checking on it for you and I'll let you know. Since folks need exact change, it would be handy for them to publish the fares for people like you who are coming from out of town.

Ken