7 Tips for first timers

SaltLog

I used to be a senior officer for Carnival, and here are a few things that may help:

1 - Sail with your age group. If it's cold, they're old. Alaskan cruises typically have an older crowd and in general, the longer cruises have older passengers. Any cruise that is longer than seven days will typically have an older crowd. Younger passengers usually can't afford longer cruises nor do they have vacation time to take them. Three and four day cruises are party cruises and typically have a younger crowd, especially in the Caribbean. Two day cruises to nowhere are especially popular with the party crowd. If you are looking for an older more relaxed crowd, look for longer voyages especially in colder climates. If you want to party with a younger crowd, look for shorter voyages in warmer climates.

2 - If you have assigned seating in the dining rooms, then the secret about the people you sit with is that they are likely very similar to you. The Maitre'd intentionally seats similar people together. Couples with couples, singles with singles, seniors with seniors. Realize that these people may become your new best friends on the cruise.

3 - Remember to set your watch to “ship time” which may or may not change when you cross time zones.

4 - Don't be late. The ship will only wait about fifteen minutes after its scheduled sailing time. Each cruise line has a port agent that can help if you do miss the ship. Most people fly to the next port to meet the ship there, but you'll pay for all extra expenses.

5 - Bring ear plugs. They make sleeping on the airplane easier. They also allow you to sleep through all the noise that happens in the corridors and from the neighboring cabins. If you plan to be loud, bring some to distribute to your neighbors.

6 - Remember that the captain has the authority to kick you off the ship if he thinks you're a danger to his crew or the other passengers.

7 - To strike up conversation with a crewmember, don't ask lame questions like,

“Do you live on the ship?”

"How long is your contract?"

“Can you get off in port?”

Crewmembers get these questions everyday and they get sick of hearing them. The crew do live on the ship. Contracts are typically six months followed by six weeks of vacation and they can get off in port. Remember that the first question or comment that comes to mind is usually one that countless others have already asked or said. So go deeper and ask these kinds of questions:

"How long have you worked on ships?"

"What do you like most about working on the ship?"

"How well do you get along with your roommate?"

"What food do you miss the most from back home?"

That’s all for now..

As to number 4, don't count on even one extra minute. Ships frequently sail on time. As one CD told us, if you come back late, have a camera. You will always treasure the picture of the back of the ship as she sails away.

1. I disagree with this - we've sailed with older and with younger, and have enjoyed the company of both. When we were on our first Mediterranean cruise (14 days) we met a young couple on their honeymoon. We ended up doing shore excursions with them, and a couple who had been married 65 years.

2. This isn't always the case, either - our last cruise table had 4 couples of varying ages and a single woman. The only thing we could see that any of us had in common was that two couples were married the same amount of time (6 years - the oldest, and the youngest).

4. paul92907 covered that one.

5. I don't know where your cabin is usually located, but it has been pretty rare that we've heard noises either coming from the corridor, and certainly not from our neighbours. Now if you're near where the anchor is deployed - that's another matter entirely.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I used to be a senior officer for Carnival, and here are a few things that may help:

1 - Sail with your age group. If it's cold, they're old. Alaskan cruises typically have an older crowd and in general, the longer cruises have older passengers. Any cruise that is longer than seven days will typically have an older crowd. Younger passengers usually can't afford longer cruises nor do they have vacation time to take them. Three and four day cruises are party cruises and typically have a younger crowd, especially in the Caribbean. Two day cruises to nowhere are especially popular with the party crowd. If you are looking for an older more relaxed crowd, look for longer voyages especially in colder climates. If you want to party with a younger crowd, look for shorter voyages in warmer climates.

7 - To strike up conversation with a crewmember, don't ask lame questions like,

“Do you live on the ship?”

"How long is your contract?"

“Can you get off in port?”

Crewmembers get these questions everyday and they get sick of hearing them. The crew do live on the ship. Contracts are typically six months followed by six weeks of vacation and they can get off in port. Remember that the first question or comment that comes to mind is usually one that countless others have already asked or said. So go deeper and ask these kinds of questions:

"How long have you worked on ships?"

"What do you like most about working on the ship?"

"How well do you get along with your roommate?"

"What food do you miss the most from back home?"

That’s all for now..

I disagree with #1 alot. You didn't mention the last time you were in Alaska as crew, but this was not the case on my Alaskan cruise 1.5 years ago, and from what I'm reading here, my experience wasn't unique. Because cruising has become more affordable (especially this year), younger people are going while they can. I will say that the majority of the excursions and the cost of getting there can be more than other cruises, and should always be factored in.

Most of the crew members we chatted with had contract of 8-10 months. I agree that your latter questions are a little more unusual, but only a little. The first questions you mention are more likely to be asked by newer cruisers, and the whole experience is new to them, and many of them won't even realize (unless they hang out here first) that the crew members work a specific contract, and that the length of the contract usually directly relates to their specific job.

I don't know anything about Alaska cruising, I've never been. But I know at least 10-15 people who are not "old" who have gone. Some have taken they're kids, some are really into nature, some were afraid that the Alaskan wild is suffering with global warming, some are not into warm climates. One couple has already been everywhere and Alaska was next on the list. Also, from California, the airfare is somewhat reasonable. I think the reasons folks cruise to Alaska are changing.

I don't think there's any one rule about cruising with people your age. I think you should consider your lifestyle.

Take my twin sister for example. She called me one day and told me she had booked her first cruise to Mexico... with Carnival... over spring break... and her balcony stateroom was just a few doors down from the "fun zone". She wasn't sure what the fun zone was, but it must be a bar with dance music. :eek:My sister hates kids:eek:!!! I pleaded and begged her to cancel this cruise, or at least change her room. I mean I begged her for weeks to no avail. We waved them off at the Terminal in San Diego, waving and just shaking our heads.

When they came back, they said they'd never go on a cruise again. They had almost 800 children on the ship with them. Sounds like 799 of those kids had no adult supervision. 24-8 kids running and screaming up and down the halls, being rude in public areas, the adult pool was full of splashing kids, crying and screaming in every food and show venue, pushing and shoving other adults.

The final straw came when she was sitting in a bar before dinner, and a school age child came from befind her, crawled under her chair and stuck his head up her skirt:eek:. She started yelling "Who does this child belong to!", but no one had the nerve to claim him.

We are in our 40's. Our kids are all grown and gone. A lot of folks our age have younger kids. We are more active than most. Neither "newly wed or nearly dead". Our first cruise was on HAL. We had a great time, and wonderful dinner partners.

Some of our best dinner partners have been older than we are. One couple in their 80's went with us to snorkel in Bonaire, and they kept up every minute, no problem.

We go with HAL and Princess. It seems to fit our interests and lifestyles. If we ever take our grandchildren, we will go with a family oriented line.

So, just go, meet interesting people (everyone has a story), and do whatever you love to do.:)

Also, on #4... we have waved at folks from the Promanade Deck as the ship was pulling away from the dock more than once. Try to give yourself at least 30 minutes (if the ship leaves at 5, be there no later than 4:30). That gives you 15 minutes leeway for the unexpected.

The final straw came when she was sitting in a bar before dinner, and a school age child came from befind her, crawled under her chair and stuck his head up her skirt:eek:. She started yelling "Who does this child belong to!", but no one had the nerve to claim him.

Your poor sister - that's horrible but hilarious at the same time!! That would be just about the ultimate worst cruise for me.

Lisa

Archived