More civil unrest

SailMeAwayEveryday

Carnival Valor rerouted from Roatan today.

More civil unrest.

I really have no idea why you are 'dissing' Roatan, but please (PLEASE) give us a 'link' to the proposed 'civil unrest', in Roatan...:o

There are a lot of us sailing there in the immediate future, and posting something like this is of utmost interest! PLEASE!!!:(:rolleyes:

U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa

Avenida La Paz

Tegucigalpa, Honduras

To: All American Citizens

Date: May 6, 2009

Subject: Warden Message – Disturbances in Roatan

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa alerts American citizens residing in and

traveling to the Bay Island of Roatan about ongoing protests. The Embassy has

been informed by the Honduran police (DNIC, Dirección Nacional de

Investigación Criminal) that the protestors are blocking the road to French

Harbor and urges all Americans to avoid driving on this road today. The

demonstrators are alleging that foreigners are illegally working in Honduras and

taking jobs away from Hondurans.

The Embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens not try to pass roadblocks,

as there have been incidents of violence in the past. U.S. citizens should

avoid travel in affected areas and should monitor the situation via media

sources, including TV and radio, and avoid large gatherings.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly

monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where

the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide

Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling

1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and

Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from

8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal

holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Honduras are encouraged to register with the

nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel

registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov, and to obtain

updated information on travel and security within Honduras. Americans without

Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or

Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or

Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

The U.S. Embassy is located on Avenida La Paz in Tegucigalpa; telephone (504)

238 5114, after hours telephone (504) 236 8497; Consular Section fax (504) 238

4357; E-mail: usahonduras@... Web page: http://honduras.usembassy.gov

I really have no idea why you are 'dissing' Roatan, but please (PLEASE) give us a 'link' to the proposed 'civil unrest', in Roatan...:o

There are a lot of us sailing there in the immediate future, and posting something like this is of utmost interest! PLEASE!!!:(:rolleyes:

I am not "dissing" Roatan. This is real. It is intended for those of you traveling in the near future because there are no news feeds from Honduras. Wake up and let's all work together on this. Mexico and Roatan closed? This is important.

Apparently they are not mad at US Citizens. They are mad at Honduran mainland laborers, and Guatemalan laborers who have come over to work on huge projects like the mall, the pier a golf course being done etc. again not mad at US Citizens or cruiseships. This problem is between the Latino groups already residing here and the ones from the mainland. All the native Islanders are calm and ready to receive tourists.

Apparently they are not mad at US Citizens. They are mad at Honduran mainland laborers, and Guatemalan laborers who have come over to work on huge projects like the mall, the pier a golf course being done etc. again not mad at US Citizens or cruiseships. This problem is between the Latino groups already residing here and the ones from the mainland. All the native Islanders are calm and ready to receive tourists.

The reports of burning, looting and worse are wrong?

Listen. The only looting was at the Zolitur building. The organization which was formed to organize foreign investment, duty free trade etc. They are blaming this organization for all the social problems. Again there was no looting in stores or houses. There is a band of latino leaders who are adding fire to the fuel.

Thank you OP for posting this. We have a cruise booked that stops in Roatan in a few weeks. This port is a substitution for Cozumel. I'm interested in whether we'll be stopping there or not.

The rioting is getting cleaned up today with the help of the military and special force police. Main damage was to the Zolitor building that was gutted with furniture computers, records and all else being dragged out and burned. Other buildings and vehicles suffered less damage, mostly broken windows.

It will be up to the different cruise lines to decide whether they continue to visit the Island as this is the third incident in a years time that events have caused ships to divert and they have said in the past they will not continue to have Roatan on the shedule if these problems continue so time will tell. I imagine there are plenty of unhappt guests that missed Mexico but then were getting to Roatan instead and then that was cancelled as well.

Carnival Valor rerouted from Roatan today.

More civil unrest.

What a shame.

As other here have asked but no one replied, Can someone verify the source that the Valor did indeed not stop at Roatan?

Where is the news on the distrubance? Nothing in NYtimes or Fox or CNN. Google points to this thread.

As other here have asked but no one replied, Can someone verify the source that the Valor did indeed not stop at Roatan?

Where is the news on the distrubance? Nothing in NYtimes or Fox or CNN. Google points to this thread.

There is no regular news feeds from roatan, it's still the coconut telegraph with internet now included. I live on Roatan and we keep in touch over the net. I drove past Zolitor this AM

You can also visit this link

http://www.elheraldo.hn/Ediciones/2009/05/07/Noticias/Roatan-Protestas-dejarian-perdidas-millonarias

I just emailed Victor and recieved a reply. He says whatever unrest happened is now over and that the Carnival Legend is due to arrive tomorrow. I would still visit Roatan in a heartbeat. The people there are very nice and welcoming.

Warning people to stay away is like telling tourist not to come Wasington, DC. There are always protests in the city throughout the year, but overall tourists are very safe. People in this country are frequently upset when they need jobs and feel like outside resources are undermining their efforts. It's just too bad that a few people's actions can give a bad name to an entire country.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits and would expect that if there happened to be something going on in some area away from the port, that tour companies would avoid that area. There are many wonderful places and things to see and do. I hope that cruiselines will continue to visit.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits and would expect that if there happened to be something going on in some area away from the port, that tour companies would avoid that area. There are many wonderful places and things to see and do. I hope that cruiselines will continue to visit.

The recent protests took place for the most part well east of the dock, you cannot expect the cruislines to think that you will be safe and taken to "safe areas" there was unrest and they did the resposible thing. Do you even know where Los Fuertes is? That is where the main problems were

The recent protests took place for the most part well east of the dock, you cannot expect the cruislines to think that you will be safe and taken to "safe areas" there was unrest and they did the resposible thing. Do you even know where Los Fuertes is? That is where the main problems were

I have no issue with the port being skipped if necessary for the safety of passengers, however previous posts specifically mentioned the possibilty of cruiselines abandoning this port- which I think is being a bit much at this time. My two-cents is that I have never felt unsafe in Roatan and will continue to visit as often as feasible. I don't know where Los Fuertes is, not on any route that I have visited before.

Where I live I would not feel safe to drive around in Southeast, DC, but in Northwest it is quite safe. They are only a few miles apart.

I have no issue with the port being skipped if necessary for the safety of passengers, however previous posts specifically mentioned the possibilty of cruiselines abandoning this port- which I think is being a bit much at this time.

Sue,

This is the third time in a years time that ships have had to be rerouted due to "civil unrest" Whether it is a safety issue or not soon becomes irrelevant. What soon becomes important is how much will the cruises lose or deal with customers missing a port of call?. The cruise lines will onl mke so many excuses and give so many credits before they find someplace more reliable.

Along with having many unhappy customers that do not want just another sea day they also lose all of their percentage of the land excursions and then end up paying or giving credit to people for the missed port of call

Sue,

This is the third time in a years time that ships have had to be rerouted due to "civil unrest" Whether it is a safety issue or not soon becomes irrelevant. What soon becomes important is how much will the cruises lose or deal with customers missing a port of call?. The cruise lines will onl mke so many excuses and give so many credits before they find someplace more reliable.

Along with having many unhappy customers that do not want just another sea day they also lose all of their percentage of the land excursions and then end up paying or giving credit to people for the missed port of call

I realize that, but hope it doesn't get to that. The last bout of unrest was a few month's before my last trip there [in April of this year]. I was worried we would be rerouted. Fortunately things settled down and everything was fine when we got there. I can just tell you that tourism has been a godsend to the majority of the people in Roatan and they more than welcome our visits. The last thing they want is for a disturbance to ruin their overall image and livelyhoods.

I can just tell you that tourism has been a godsend to the majority of the people in Roatan and they more than welcome our visits.

Can you really tell anyone that? Think about it, Roatans population is put at somewhere around 70,000 people with the majority living in rustic areas east of the dock. How many people east of the dock, how many people not at all involved with the cruise ships did you speak with to come up with this conclision? How many english speaking kids did you encounter? If you did a dive or snorkel trip were all involved local islanders? Be honest.

Of course if you do a poll that cruise ship entertainers reply to they will praise the ships but I find it hard to believe you were able to actually talk with the Majority of the people.

Can you really tell anyone that? Think about it, Roatans population is put at somewhere around 70,000 people with the majority living in rustic areas east of the dock. How many people east of the dock, how many people not at all involved with the cruise ships did you speak with to come up with this conclision? How many english speaking kids did you encounter? If you did a dive or snorkel trip were all involved local islanders? Be honest.

Of course if you do a poll that cruise ship entertainers reply to they will praise the ships but I find it hard to believe you were able to actually talk with the Majority of the people.

No I did not speak to the majority of the people, however I have extensive conversations with people who grew up on the island. Before tourism, most men would have to leave the island because there was no work. With the influx of visitors to the island, many more residents can earn a living without having to leave. So while some may not like tourists coming to the Island, it makes sense that most view tourism as a major industry that is very beneficial to them. We ARE their livelyhood.

It is not my goal to come on these boards and create arguments with others. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I have stated mine. I don't expect eveyone to agree with me. If you or others feel unsafe, there are many other wonderful ports to visit. But I don't think it's fair to slam an entire country because they have issues like everyone else. However-like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I come to these boards to share what I like, not argue. Others are welcome to disagree.

Fun with the monkees- this guy was very friendly and nice2946629980104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

Our guide2545929030104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

Very sweet girl in Roatan, was happy to see us2736058860104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

Is there a port cam for Roatan? Maybe from the Port villages area? If so we should be able to see if the Legend arrived today. The Port of Roatan site doesn't show one. Also, many of the reports focused on French Harbor on the east end as the scene of unrest not Coxen Hole on the west where the ships anchor.

Archived