Gastric Bypass and Crusing

I need some help. I had gastric bypass surgery in Dec. I am booked on a cruise in Nov. Has anyone out there cruised after bypass surgery? If yes, can anyone give me some helpfull hints?

I need some help. I had gastric bypass surgery in Dec. I am booked on a cruise in Nov. Has anyone out there cruised after bypass surgery? If yes, can anyone give me some helpfull hints?

Have you ever cruised before?? I think it would be a little tough to sit for dinner in the MDR.

I guess a lot depends on how far along you are in your recovery and coping with the changes.

First you can check with the special dietary needs department to see what they have for bypass patients and even with that, explain to your server your concern and either ask for just a bit of certain foods, or just order an appetizer or soup every night.

If you think you would feel conspicuous with your portions at a shared table, either opt for MTD or plan to have most meals in the Windjammer where you will have control over portion sizes.

That is just my ideas, hopefully someone will post soon who have been there done that. But, have a wonderful cruise.

Food is going to be there no matter where you go on vacation. Doesn't matter whether you are on a cruise or not. I have a friend who had the surgery, and she travels the world all the time on tour. Just got back from a 4 month tour. I am sure she would be happy to answer any questions you may have if you would like. She had the surgery 4 years ago, give or take. She has lost all her weight and lives a completely different lifestyle now when it comes to eating.

There is a whole thread on this topic on the Lose before you cruise board. You can find it under FUN STUFF. Go to the main message board screen. I don't know how to set a link but if you access the thread you might get some good info from there.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.:)

Congratulations on your surgery. I had mine in November. I cruised with my daughter on the Navigator in January then DH and I cruised the Liberty 3 weeks ago. You won't have a problem.

Because your stomach is so small there is only so much that you can eat anyway. Start with your protein and veggies, just taste the carbs and desserts, and try not to drink anything during your meal. I have found that since my surgery I don't feel the same way about food anymore, so it's not a problem for me. I just kinda taste everything and the waiters are always concerned that I didn't like what was served. They offered to bring another entree if I wasn't satisfied with what I ordered. I guess I should have told them about the bypass, but I didn't think something so personal should be discussed with strangers (kinda like what I'm doing now:D).

Have a great cruise, you'll be okay :)

I have been on many cruises since I had gastric by pass in 2001. Fill up on your protein first. I take small amounts of what I want. Remember how you were taught to eat. I allow my self a taste of the desserts. Last cruise (Dec.) the desserts were not worth the calories.

You know your limits. You can still eat well. Just enjoy your cruise:D

BTW-almost 8 years out my eyes are still bigger than my stomach:eek:

I cruised with a friend last September who had the surgery during the previous year. She joined us in the main dining room on the first night, but after that, she ate in the Windjammer. She felt like she had more choices that suited her guidelines and could do better with portion control.

My wife and I both had surgery and just got back from a cruise and had a great time. There is a section on the forum where a lot of us talk, I think, its under FUN STUFF_LOSE BEFORE YOU CRUISE

I was very impressed with the sugar free desserts offered and both my wife and I ate well. Of course, we checked out the gym and running track everyday to allow us to enjoy the cruise even more. Cruising is still a great time, maybe even more so being less dependent on food.

Here is my wife and I on Freedom

ginabill.jpg

And a year later on Navigator

navigatorsmall.jpg

I cruised with my aunt after she had the surgery. On the first night, she politely told the waiter that she eats very small portions and he should not worry or assume she is unhappy if she has only eaten small parts of her food. He didn't question her about it all week and she did not need to reveal any personal information. She was very impressed.

I have cruised once since the lap band surgery and I had a great time. I am very limited in the amount of food I can eat but I loved tasting everything. I would recommend though that you take either protein bars or shakes with you as a back up. I went to dinner with our group one night and there wasn't anything on the menu that would really work for me (except cream soup) so I sipped the soup, licked the desert and had a protein bar back at the room later. Still an awesome cruise though!!

A friend of mine sailed last year 8 months following gastric bypass surgery. She did just fine--ate small meals and made smart choices. Having this kind of surgery should enhance your life, not limit your life. Happy Sailing!

Karen

I was very impressed with the sugar free desserts offered and both my wife and I ate well. Of course, we checked out the gym and running track everyday to allow us to enjoy the cruise even more. Cruising is still a great time, maybe even more so being less dependent on food.

Here is my wife and I on Freedom

ginabill.jpg

And a year later on Navigator

navigatorsmall.jpg

Wow! Sign me up. You both look amazing! Please tell your wife that I think she is beautiful.:)

I had my surgery in 2003 and I cruise with no problems. I ordered what I wanted from the MDR and ate what I wanted or could and when I was done I was done. The portions are not HUGE so it is ok. Mostly I stuck to the protein first rule as I do when going to a regular restaurant. I also find that I always took too much food at the windjammer because everything looks so good, I want to try it all! So as long as you stick to eating guidlines that you were given by your surgeon, you will be fine!!! Have a great cruise and enjoy the new you!! :)

Paul

I had my gatric bypass surgery in March and am still dealing with the changes. I will be sailing to England and back this Fall. I have concerns, but am fairly confident that I will be able to dine on the seafood in the MDR and do fairly well.

I think I have conquered portion control. I know the consequences.

My biggest concern is boredom! But assuming we have good dining partners the social aspects should out weigh my limited capacity to eat.

:cool: I cruised last year 5 wks. after surgery and a little difficulty. A lot of the proteins are served with sauces or spices that would bother me. I ended eating at the Windjammer every night so I could look everything over and pick what I wanted. The sugarless cookies in the WJ were awesome. Have a great time and congrats on your surgery and new life. I.ve gone from 320 lbs. to 203 and have never regretted doing it. :cool:

What may make the difference is what consistency of food you can tolerate. At 3 months out, I was still on full liquids. It wasn't until I was 3 years out that I could do beef.

If you can easily eat out, then you shouldn't have problems on a cruise. I usually pack a couple of protein bars for emergencies (those days that I know I didn't get enough protein).

I had my surgery in 2004 and cruised 18 months later, so was eating chicken, fish, turkey, eggs .... so lots of choices. I never told the staff I had surgery, just told them I was a small eater. After the first two nights, they stopped asking if I wanted more or something different.

Now at 5 years out and 150 lbs lost, I cruise without hesitation. Yes, I can eat more but not the full meals they offer. I do have bread and I do have often some desert, but usually have just a bite or two. We walk and walk and walk on the cruise, so much wonderful exercise that we've never gained more than a lb and normally not even that.

Have a wonderful time.

Archived