GCT Vienna to Amsterdam

cliodoc

We are taking the Grand Circle Travel Vienna to Amsterdam river cruise on the River Aria in June. Any comments on the trip and optionals would be appreciated. Also, we are taking the Vienna extension - would appreciate restaurant recommendations.

We are taking the Grand Circle Travel Vienna to Amsterdam river cruise on the River Aria in June. Any comments on the trip and optionals would be appreciated. Also, we are taking the Vienna extension - would appreciate restaurant recommendations.

We also took this itinerary with GCT Aug of 07. Not the same boat, but very enjoyable . . . wish DW and I could join you! Yes, we would do the same tour again.

The optionals that I recall that we really enjoyed were Welten(berg? or was it heim?) Abbey and and the Danube Gorge - both on the same tour. Also Marksberg Castle and Brewery - if you do not walk well on uneven surfaces and stairs, do not do this tour.

We had plenty of free time at the stops. We also explored a number of the cities/towns on our own (several times in lieu of doing an optional).

I understand that GCT now may have some things as optionals that were included when we went. If you post the optionals you are considering, you might get additional feedback.

Hi, the optionals we are considering are

Best of Vienna: Opera House, Nashmarkt, Prater Park

Melk Abby Tour

Baveria: Baroque & Beer Tour - Weltenburg Monastery

Rothenburg

Classical Werthiem Tour: palace and classical music

Rudesheim dinner outing

Marksburg Castle & Brewery

We are not doing the Heidelburg Tour because we have been there three times.

Hope the following helps in your decision making.

Best of Vienna: Opera House, Nashmarkt, Prater Park

Melk Abby Tour (1)

Baveria: Baroque & Beer Tour - Weltenburg Monastery (2)

Rothenburg (a)

Classical Werthiem Tour: palace and classical music

Rudesheim dinner outing (b)

Marksburg Castle & Brewery (3)

We are not doing the Heidelburg Tour because we have been there three times ©

We arrived in Vienna late afternoon and we started up the Danube about dinner time, so we did nothing but unpack there.

(1) was included when we went. We enjoyed this tour and I can recommend it. We had a bus from the boat to the Abbey (it is high on a hill overloooking the city). admission to the Abbey and a guided tour of the Abbey. Free time to wander the grounds and then a bus back to the ship. We chose to walk down to the town and wander around there before heading back to the ship. You might want to check here -http://www.stiftmelk.at/englisch/index.html - for admission information to decide whether you want to do it on your own. The option would be to wander town on your own.

(2) & (3) are optionals we took and I already commented. Definately not doable on your own. Option would be to stay on the boat for (2) or wander town (3).

I have some pictures of this trip at http://picasaweb.google.com/randy08053/GCTRiver07#, unfortunately, I didn't caption them very well. Second row of pictures is Melk, 5th is Weltenberg and 16th & 17th is Marksburg and the brewery.

We did not do (a), (b) and © as we had previously visited these places. We just dined onboard and relaxed while the Rudesheim excursion was happening. I think we were docked nearby and we probably wandered town a bit.

I just do not recall what we did while the excursion to Rothenburg was occurring - if we were docked, I'm sure we wandered. But part of me thinkes we dropped the people on that excursion off one place cruised to another and picked them up again. Do be aware that this excursion involves a bus ride to and from the boat. Having visited this town years ago, it is worth seeing.

You will be cruising along the Main while folks are doing the Heidelburg trip. They will be in for a fairly long bus ride. You will be relaxing on deck with your favorite beverage(s), having a relaxing lunch and, if your cruise directors are as good as ours, participating in some on-board activities.

Here are two Vienna restaurant recommendations:

Figlmuller's - http://www.figlmueller.at/ (click on English on the green bar)

Goulash Museum Restaurant at Schulerstrasse 20, where you can try over a hundred different varieties of Goulash.

These are casual restaurants, not too expensive, with local cuisine. Figlmuller's is popular with tourists.

Barbara

I enjoyed Randy's pictures. Brings back memories. I took the Great Rivers Cruise in 2004. It was the 1st of 5 GCT river trips. My friends and I always maintain that it was the best one. They were all good, but this was our favorite. We're even talking about taking it again this year. The biggest disappointing factor is all the optional tours and the prices on them. When we went in 2004, we only had one optional and that was Rothenburg. Cost was $29. All the rest of the now optional tours were included in the trip (with the exception of Marksburg - that wasn't an option). Of the tours that I think you should not miss, is Melk Abbey, Weltenburg, Rothenburg and maybe Heidlburg. JMHO

I have been on GCT's Vienna to Amsterdam cruise 3 times. All of the optional's you listed are fantastic. I have done the trip in both directions and prefer the Vienna to Amsterdam direction you are taking. Mt favorite was Rothenburg with the Weltenburg Monastery a close second.

I've done this trip in June, September and November and June was my favorite trip.

Archived