Cell Phone Question

I have search through existing posts and find some conflicting info.

We are sailing on Fantasy in June and I have never used a cell phone while cruising. -- Our trip is one of those rescheduled and we are going to Key West, Freeport and Nassau.

I have Verizon and no international plan. They've told me their rates (I had checked when we were going to Mexico so I'll have to check again about the new ports) and they are something like $2.99 a minute whle the ship is at sea but $.99 a minute while docked at the stops in Mexico.

Then texting is something like .50 to send and .05 to receive.

Ok so here is my question: I've read that the ship tacks on a fee per minute in addition to what Verizon charges me. -- Is this right? Is this something that I'll see on my Verizon bill after I return? And how much is Carnival's charge per minute?

Geez....I'm not sure but at those prices, and the internet prices, I'll leave my laptop and cell phones in my bags. Not worth the costs, and I'm trying to "get away from it all", so why would I want to be FOUND?

sonicbuffalo

Be very afraid!!!!!!!!! Ask yourself is $6.99 per min worth you turning that phone on my phone rang while I was on a cruise.

At my surprise I was charged. So rather you recieve or make they will charge high fees. Check with verizon for the price because they are very expensive.

My experience with Sprint has been $2.49/min on board and between $.69 and .99/min in foreign ports.

Texts are $.05 inbound and $.50 outbound...

If you do not have an international plan add one. It cost me $4 for a month...

:)

My experience with Sprint has been $2.49/min on board and between $.69 and .99/min in foreign ports.

Do you have to pay over and above your International plan? Does Carnival add a charge?

We have Verizon and often cruise without the kids, so I call home to check on them. Call Verizon and they will need to upload international roaming to your phone. It's free and they do it from their end.

The rates were $2.49 on ship and I thought $1.99 at the ports we went to. There is a list on their website as to how much each country is. The ship does NOT add on a fee. On our last 7-day cruise our bill for calling home was around 50 bucks. We called every other day. BTW, I did NOT leave my phone turned on all the time. If there is a true emergency, someone back home can call Carnival's emergency number.

We have never had a problem with fees and found them reasonable considering we're in the middle of the ocean.

We are sailing on Fantasy in June and I have never used a cell phone while cruising. -- Our trip is one of those rescheduled and we are going to Key West, Freeport and Nassau.

I have Verizon and no international plan. They've told me their rates (I had checked when we were going to Mexico so I'll have to check again about the new ports) and they are something like $2.99 a minute whle the ship is at sea but $.99 a minute while docked at the stops in Mexico.

Ok so here is my question: I've read that the ship tacks on a fee per minute in addition to what Verizon charges me. -- Is this right? Is this something that I'll see on my Verizon bill after I return? And how much is Carnival's charge per minute?

Just remember that you have to call Verizon to add international roaming capability to your account before you go!

Looks like rates are $2.49 at sea and $1.99 in Nassau.

I just got off the phone w/ T Mobile concerning using my phone while on the Glory going to Eastern Caribbean in June and here is the breakdown:

On the ship - $4.99/min and the provider is AT&T

Nassau, Bahamas - $2.99/min and forgot to ask who the provider is

St. Thomas - No Charge, minutes deducted as normal, provider is Triton

St. Martin - No Charge, minutes deducted as normal, provider is Triton

She told me to make sure that my phone was reading Triton when we got to St. Thomas and St. Martin before using it. Also, if my phone is on and I receive a phone call, whether or not I answer I will get charged depending on my location. So, if I get a call on the ship and don't answer I will still be charged $4.99, so keep the phone OFF!!! I got International Roaming added to my cell phone, no charge extra and it takes 24 hours to activate.

I have Sprint also, and they quoted the same prices to me - except for the texts which the rep said would be free, incoming and outgoing, because I already have an unlimited text plan on my family account. However, he also said Sprint does not support texts at sea, so most texts would not make it through, although some might make it through by pure chance.

I didn't test text availability though, though, because I put my phone on airport mode to avoid receiving ANY calls. Which I did because the rep also told me I would be charged for incoming calls - even if I didn't answer the call!!

Oh, and yes, if you do use your phone, you will still pay the $2.49 per minute, in addition to the monthly international roaming plan you add to your account. I think, though, that the Sprint rep said they have a "temporary" type of international roaming plan that is used for things like vacations. (note to self - call Sprint to make sure the international roaming plan is removed from account)

Happy cruising!

Do you have to pay over and above your International plan? Does Carnival add a charge?

The $2.49 is a charge passed on by Cellular At Sea, the company that owns the cell tower/satellite retransmitters on board the ships.

I'm sure that Carnival makes a nominal amount for the service but all the equipment is owned by Cellular At Sea. There was no additional charge from Sprint for my calls as they would appear to the Sprint network as standard domestic calls...

The international plan is purely for operating outside the United States and international roaming rates apply in those instances...

I have Sprint also, and they quoted the same prices to me - except for the texts which the rep said would be free, incoming and outgoing, because I already have an unlimited text plan on my family account. However, he also said Sprint does not support texts at sea, so most texts would not make it through, although some might make it through by pure chance.

I didn't test text availability though, though, because I put my phone on airport mode to avoid receiving ANY calls. Which I did because the rep also told me I would be charged for incoming calls - even if I didn't answer the call!!

Oh, and yes, if you do use your phone, you will still pay the $2.49 per minute, in addition to the monthly international roaming plan you add to your account. I think, though, that the Sprint rep said they have a "temporary" type of international roaming plan that is used for things like vacations. (note to self - call Sprint to make sure the international roaming plan is removed from account)

Happy cruising!

That's the $4 charge that I referenced above... put it on for your voyage... remove it when you get home.

You'll be asked which countries you'll be visiting and they'll discuss the rates at that time.

I made a call home from my balcony the morning we docked in St. Kitts on 3/18/09. I was billed for 8 minutes of roaming ($1.99 per minute) which totaled $15.92 plus tax. Verizon Wireless is my carrier.

Karen

We paid 2.49 per min with verizon on the ship our bill for 30 min was $74 I didn't think that was bad. The price varied while in port. just watch were you use it you could pay sea rate even if you are still in your home port because it may pick up the ship signal. We called home cuz of the young ones at home.

mike

me? I get a pay as you go phone at Walmart... cheap. like $19 for the t-mobile.. load it up with time... Make sure it is set up with international roaming...

Only give out the new number to people who need it, and will not abuse it. This way you don't get any unwanted calls.

Put $100 on it, and it will cost you only $100.

Just to be clear - Cellular At Sea (who provides you with cell serivce on the ship) does not have anything to do with pricing while you are off the ship in port. Two different things. Your price in port is totally about your provider's international rates (assuming a non-USA port, of course).

Like the other posters said, you need to add international calling to your lines with Verizon. You can always take it off when you return. There is no fee to add it to your plan.

I had to leave my phone on when we cruised last year. Most times I just left it in the cabin safe. I would recieve a free text message when we were in each port and I believe it would state what the per-minute rate was, but I may be mistaken.

Texting was a lot less expensive than actually calling. If you need to stay in touch, its a less expensive option.

Here is a question along those lines. I have unlimited texting on my phone. How does that go along with the .50 to text and .05 to receive?

You still will pay. That is for using the towers on the ship. The same for an additional $2.49 per minute if you are using Verizon on the ship. This is $2,49 plus what your Verizon plan would charge.

All cruise ship cellular service is provided by WIRELESS MARITIME SERVICES.

See http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm . This site has the list of cruise ships and service providers.

In general the cost is billed by your provider and of course the cruse line, WMS and your provider all get a piece of what you pay. The charge varies by provider but is about 2.95 a minute. You must have international roaming on from your provider. For Verizon texting is about 50 cents a text message sent and .05 for each text message received. The cost is determined by the cruise line, WMS and your provider is in addition to whatever contract you have with your provider.

For example, you and your wife both have cell phone and you call each other aboard the ship for one minute using Verizon as carrier you will be bill $5.90 for you call.

• 2 weeks later...

We buy calling cards at each stop and call home. Usually doesn't cost anymore than 15 bucks or so when we're away. We used our cell once in Cozumel for like 10 minutes and if I recall correctly the price was around $110. Plus, as someone else mentioned, you're trying to get away from it all. Leave your cell in your safe turned off and enjoy the time away.

Recent, 3/09, 10 day Southern Carribean cruise resulted in $258 in roaming charges for 20 minutes of calls. This is with Verizon. Could only use the phone on St Thomas when the ship was in port. All other times no signal until the ship sailed. Won't have the issue with 8/09 cruise since the baby will be with us on the ship. Yes DW called everyday to have a 10 second conversation with the 2 yr old.

Archived