Cruised the Destiny with 2 and 4 year old.

mmc_80

Hello everyone. This forum was soooooo helpful when i was planning our first cruise with our kids. We have cruised before we had kids, so it was all new to us. I did extra homework on this forum and other sites because of my boys ages, 2 and 4. I figured since this forum was helpful i would post some things about our first cruise with our boys, maybe it might help someone with theirs.

We cruised the Destiny on 4/20, we were a little nervous about dining and time, and the kids club. We had lots of worries. But it went well.

We had a friend drive us to port of Miami, we live in Fl, so we drove to his house, had him drive us there, and pick us up. We got to the Port between 10:30 and 11am. Got our bags taken care of, and headed to check in. We did have our 2 year old in a stroller, because its hard enough having to chase our 4 year old. We go in the terminal pretty quickly. Had to do the usual through security, get everything in the containers, hats, sunglasses, bags, all, and stroller. But it was quick and easy. We waited until about 11:30 in the terminal and they started embarking. That was smooth and very fast. No problems there either, very organized.

Well let me get to the things that matter. We only had dinner with our kids the first night. Camp carnival met at 5:45 and we got to sign them in, and get the capers for the entire cruise. The boys went to dinner with us, but the usual they do good the first half hour, then they just get agitated and want to go. Camp carnival opened everyday, pretty much the entire day. Except for a couple of hours right before dinner. They opened right at the time the early dining opened, 6pm. The boys loved camp carnival sooo much. Kept wanting to go back.

In Nassau we left them in camp and went off the ship and just walked around, went to atlantis and went back to the ship. Camp carnival were almost done eating lunch when we got back, so we saw what that was like. The kids had a section closed for them, and the got to eat all together. It was cute. The kids seemed to be having lots of fun, and the counselors were very patient.

Like i said, we had dinner on our own every night. We would drop the kids off at dinner with camp carnival, which they enjoyed. We tried to take them with us the last night, but they said they wanted to eat dinner "with the kids club".

There was always something going on for the kids in camp. My boys went there for dinner, a little bit during sea day, and a little the other days. They were upset when they did not get to go. It is great to be able to have a family vacation, us time, and kids time.

We thought it was such a great way to have it all that we were either going to atlantis or key west they month for a couple of day. But we booked another cruise instead, with they kids.

Let me know if you guys have any questions for me, or need capers...i saved them because i know some people look for them on here. ;)

We are going on the Inspiration in two weeks with our two-year old son. It's the third cruise for my husband and I, but the first time we've taken our son with us (I didn't see the point of taking him last year since they were going to charge us full price for a third person in the cabin, and not allow him to participate in Camp Carnival). Are there sides or railings on the pull-down bunk? He normally still sleeps in his crib, so I'm a little nervous about his first night in a 'big-boy bed' being in a high bunk on a moving ship! Also, do they issue child-size life jackets for the lifeboat drill? We're taking his for our port days, and the adult ones are bigger than he is!

There are railings on the uppers. My 4 year old daughter slept on hers no problem. Ask your cabin steward for the child's life jacket before the muster drill, they will get one for you (unless they have it in the room already).

We are going on the Inspiration in two weeks with our two-year old son. It's the third cruise for my husband and I, but the first time we've taken our son with us (I didn't see the point of taking him last year since they were going to charge us full price for a third person in the cabin, and not allow him to participate in Camp Carnival). Are there sides or railings on the pull-down bunk? He normally still sleeps in his crib, so I'm a little nervous about his first night in a 'big-boy bed' being in a high bunk on a moving ship! Also, do they issue child-size life jackets for the lifeboat drill? We're taking his for our port days, and the adult ones are bigger than he is!

our 4 year old slept on the bunk bed, he had no problems. But we were not comfortable letting our two year old sleep up there. Its too high for them, in case they somehow get past the railing, which is not all around the bunk bed. He slept with us in bed, some people put the mattress on the floor for their toddlers. They do bring kids lifejackets to the room before the drill. If it is not there just ask. I don't think you can bring it off the ship though. But i did not need one off the ship. Have fun...

My husband, son and I are going to be on Destiny sept. 12 to 17th. He is 2 years old. I would like to see the capers if possible. Has any one been to sting ray city wil they let the kids were a life jacket in the water?

Thank you

Karla:)

My husband, son and I are going to be on Destiny sept. 12 to 17th. He is 2 years old. I would like to see the capers if possible. Has any one been to sting ray city wil they let the kids were a life jacket in the water?

Thank you

Karla:)

We did Stingray City (the deeper one where you scuba, not Stingray Sandbar) a few years ago with my then 6-year old cousin. She wore her lifejacket there with no problems, and was still able to pet some stingrays that we would bring up to her. The operator we used (Bob Soto's) is no longer there, but I can't see anyone not letting a child use a life jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
......Let me know if you guys have any questions for me, or need capers...i saved them because i know some people look for them on here. ;)

Hi MMC 80--

Thank you for your concise review, this is a TRAMENDOUS help. We are thinking of taking our small children in Nov/Dec on the Pride, and they (then) will be 2 and 4 as well. My question is about port days. I think if i can get a copy of the kids capers it will help me a lot.

My main question is this, I know that DH and I will want to be able to leave the kids on board the ship on 1 or 2 of the ports of call so we can enjoy those places on our own and relax.....I wanted to get an idea of how Camp Carnival handles port days with children in a little more detail? What kind of hours do they have on port days? Are they reduced hours, was there a sense that you'd have to rush back to the ship and pick them up? Do they give you beepers/pagers? Is there a fee? Did you feel they had enough counselors for the number of kids in the program, or did they seem flustered and bothered (I have a boy and girl)?

Thank you so much in advanced for your input!

Also, do they issue child-size life jackets for the lifeboat drill? We're taking his for our port days, and the adult ones are bigger than he is!

As the previous poster mentioned, you can't take the ship life jacket off for your personal use. I bring my own for use in port.

For cruiselife8: I don't remember the specifics about the Pride, but my twins just turned 2 on our cruise on her, and I think they were the best kids' staff we've encountered so far. (We've done quite a few cruises together, mostly on Princess.) I would have absolutely no hesistation about the program. They did give me a beeper.

Best,

Mia

MMC_80 - Welcome back! I am glad you had a wonderful cruise. :D

Wicketsmom - I wouldn't put a 2 year old up there. Pull the mattress off and put it on the floor. Especially if the child still sleeps in a crib. We had enough floor space to do this on Elation, so Inspiration would be the same.

To those asking about the camp capers, they are at the link in my signature.

Thanks for posting this! We are just looking at booking our first big cruise with the kids (we have done a Patagonia cruise, but on a very small ship - only 100 passengers), ages 2, 4, and 7 - all boys! I am still narrowing it down as to which ship to choose, which itinerary, but perusing these posts is helping! I will definately post about my experience when we return.

sorry it took forever for me to respond. I posted the capers along with the camp carnival capers as a separate post on the carnival board. Search for destiny capers and you will find them. We also just returned from the imagination with our children. That was fun. Same experience, however i did not keep the capers for that cruise. Sorry.

We are going on the Destiny September 7-12 with our girls, ages 1 and 3. We are flying into Miami, what do we do about car seats on the transfer? Also, is taking a stroller a good idea? I've got a double stroller, but was thinking two umbrellas would be better.

I'd love to pick your brain as to what I need to take or leave home in order to make this a great trip!

We are going on the Destiny September 7-12 with our girls, ages 1 and 3. We are flying into Miami, what do we do about car seats on the transfer? Also, is taking a stroller a good idea? I've got a double stroller, but was thinking two umbrellas would be better.

I'd love to pick your brain as to what I need to take or leave home in order to make this a great trip!

for people looking for capers - they could change from week to week depending on the counselors/ how many kids are onboard. So what you see today might not be what you will have on your sailings.

Camps are opened until noon- and closed until 2pm.

Closed again at 5pm and opened again at 7pm. (on most nights) I think they offer a kids coketail party on one of the formal nights where kids can eat at the buffet.

Camp is free except for after 10pm where they charge 6.00 for the 1st child and 5.00 for the 2nd in the immediate family per hour. (cousins or neighbors dont count-- and you showed a birth certificate so ya cant lie)

I would reconsider taking a double stroller unless its the kind where the seats are behind one another. Taking one that is side by side will be rather hard getting through the halls especially when the cabin stewards have their carts outt here

Your 1 year old wont be ablt to use camps- but the camps are opened for open family play time from noon til 2pm where the kids can play with other kids and have "stuff: to play with and climb on.

Beepers are handed out in the 2-5 year old camps. They are good for the ship--wont work if you are out and about in the ports.

With the camps they ask if you can try to be back from the port by noon.

we did stingrays in gc. the sandbar was pretty shallow. we just held our 15 month old. our 5yo wanted his lifevest (that we had brought along) as he was still a bit scared in water at the time.

im standing, hubby has knees bent. and no the 5yo isnt scared, it was really sunny. :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/ERmama/stingray2-1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/ERmama/stingray1-1.jpg

MMC_80 - Welcome back! I am glad you had a wonderful cruise. :D

Wicketsmom - I wouldn't put a 2 year old up there. Pull the mattress off and put it on the floor. Especially if the child still sleeps in a crib. We had enough floor space to do this on Elation, so Inspiration would be the same.

To those asking about the camp capers, they are at the link in my signature.

The bed question ended up being a non-issue. Our room steward set up a small cot, about 4 inches off the floor, bigger than a crib mattress but not full-sized. It worked out perfectly.

One thing that I hadn't thought about though was that he was able to open the cabin door, even with it locked since they have the lever handles. We moved something heavy in front of it if we were showering to make sure he didn't escape. Wish there was some sort of latch up out of his reach.

Archived