AOS - which route?

I'm vacation planning for August - considering Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas. Any advice as to which route - the one that starts in Barbados or the one that starts in Aruba? They both look pretty good to me! I assume there's no difference in temperature, i.e. everywhere will be really really really hot....

I did the Aruba one back in 2005, late may. It wasn't too hot since there are really good trade winds in Aruba. Don't get me wrong, it was very warm but the good breeze bad it tolerable. We did the Aloe Vera tour, which was okay.

I can't at the moment provide a comparison for the other route but I will be able to in a little over a week. I fly to Puerto Rico tomorrow morning for my cruise on the other route that starts in Barbados, on AOS.

I will mark this thread and reply when I return! I don't think you can go wrong with either route though.

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki - I'm so jealous that you get to go tomorrow! From all I've read, though, this is a much better time of year than August, unfortunately that's when I can go. I look forward to hearing about the Barbados route!

We did the Barbados route a few years ago.Loved all the Islands.

This august we are going the Aruba route only because this was the only week we could get away,other wise we would have taken the Barbados route again.

I just think those are nicer islands (just my personal opinion from doing the research on line) and you get to go to 5 islands on the Barbados route v. 4 islands on the Aruba route.

And weather is the same...hot.

We are doing the Barbados route route, originally wanted to do the Aruba one but time frame could not workout. But I am glad that we are doing the Barbados route, talking with others that have done both routes love this one especially the island of St. Lucia.

In my opinion, take the Aruba route. My reasoning is that there seems to be many more ships going to the eastern and southern caribbean and you're more likely to get one of those at a later date.:D

I would take the Aruba stop too. Not near as many ships that go to Aruba, and it is a beautiful island with beautiful beaches and scenery. You can go to Barbados on many other ships. Also, there is so much to do on the Adventure, you will enjoy 2 full sea days. Port intensive cruises are fun, but also exhausting. You need a few days when you return to rest up from the cruise!

We went on the Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Tortola, Antigua before and it certainly is a totally different experience than the Eastern and Western Caribbean. Then we took the Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada one last year and loved it! In June we are taking the AOS to Aruba route and hit 2 more islands we haven't seen yet and my daugher hasn't seen any of these except for St. Thomas. Its a hard decision to make but you are going to want to plan on taking both of the routes. If you love to snorkle,dive, or even gamble you want the Aruba route since the ship hits 2 of the ABC's islands Aruba and Curacao. Dominica also looks from pictures like St. Lucia but St. Lucia has the Pitons. Crime rose heavily since we went to St. Lucia in 07 and some tours got hit with the thugs so keep eyes opened and wallets close to vest. Don't wear jewelery. The people of Tortola and Antigua were lovely and Barbados is like a bustling town. The waters did not appear as smooth and colorful on this route though as compared to Aruba route. Good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Vicki - I'm so jealous that you get to go tomorrow! From all I've read, though, this is a much better time of year than August, unfortunately that's when I can go. I look forward to hearing about the Barbados route!

Well I'm back!! Here are my thoughts on comparing the Barbados route to the Aruba route:

I think Aruba was much more beatiful than Barbados. I was really excited about going to Barbados with all the advertising being done on TV in our area for Barbados. We took an excursion (thru RC), Barbados Natural Wonders and it was a long hot drive through mostly countryside, that at times was pretty though. We saw the cute and famous Barbados black belly sheep. The beaches on the the east of the island (you dock on the west side) is quite gorgeous. I really liked the rock formations at the shoreline. But then they take you to a botantical garden (not a natural wonder as it was all planted by some lady years ago) and you are there for about an hour. Again, it was very hot in the garden as most plants and shrubs were so tall it blocked any air flow.

Other than Barbados, the other islands were as nice as any on the other itinerary.

But I especially liked St Lucia as it seemed more clean and a bit more modern. I took the South Island Waterfall and Plantation tour. It is was listed as a 4 1/2 hour tour but was gone for 6 hours. The plantation was crowded with many other buses full of tourists and the waterfall was not that pretty and you were not able to get in the water since there were so many other peple there for such a small pool at the bottom of the fall. I counted 11 other buses at the falls at the same time we were there. It was a driving/parking nightmare as it is a small country road. My other family members did the Jeep Safari Waterfall adventure and seemed like it just fine.

I liked St Marteen as well but had been there before. I just walked the shops there at the pier. Others on board took the ferry over to do some shopping and said the shopping was very good. We had taken a taxi in to the town last trip here and thought the newer shopping area was very nice and prices were not bad either.

St Croix was really pretty and had a lot of history. However, be warned that if you take a ships tour, I think it was called Scenic Island Tour, that one of the buses broke down, (not the one we were on) but our bus had no air conditioning and it was so hot on there. We were seated on the last row!

Keep in mind that it will be very hot in August as it was already very warm in mid May. Most days it was a high from 85-92. Doesn't sound bad but the humidity makes it feel a lot hotter than the thermomter says it is.

Also, you only have the 1 sea day which is Monday on the Barbados route. If you like more ports, then this would be better for you as you do feel like you got your money's worth with the ports. I think I do like having 2 sea days of a 7 day cruise to relax and enjoy the ship.

Also, they offered the water package on the ship, where they deliver a case of water to your stateroom. Keep in mind, this is Evian water in big bottles and it is expensive. It is best to stop and pickup a case of smaller bottles of water and canned soda on your way to the port. Just tag them as you would your luggage and check them with your luggage and they will bring them to your room.

The "General Store" on board had nothing but booze. Not like the store on Pricess and Carnival where you can buy soda, water, chips and candy. Booze is really pushed on this ship! In fact, when they ask for your drink order in the dinning room, they ask can they get you a drink from the bar and never mentioned a non-alcoholic drink. I had to ask for lemonade and then they acted unpleased with my choice. This also happened at lunch in the dinning room as well. They even push alcohol at breakfast in the form of Mimosa or screw drivers!

This was my first Royal Caribbean cruise and thought the food was better on Princess. It may be that all are cuttting back some on the quality but it wasn't so much the quality as there seemed to be no thought or effort put into the seasoning of the food. The dinning room food was better than the buffet and Portofino's was the the best food on the ship!

I carried to travel mugs with loacking lids in my suitcase for the morning coffee stroll around the ship. I did not know that in the Cafe Promenade they had the to go cups with lids. They are about the size of the medium cup of coffee at McDonalds. So if you are a morning coffee drinker as I am, you may want to take your own travel mug for a bigger cup of coffee. Also, the coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate are available 24/7 at the self service counter in the Cafe Promenade.

Our balcony stateroom (8334) on AOS was nice and plenty of room. There was a lot more storage than I remember on Princess. Only one cabinet in the bathroom with 4 shelfs but then in the bedroom at the desk, each side of the mirror had an opening that was the length of the mirror and contained 4 shelfs. There were plenty of drawers and closet space as well to store the luggage and all your clothes.

I like the sound of a fan while I sleep and not to mention the cooling of the room so I requested from my cabin steward a fan with the promise of a tip. It has never failed me on any cruise line. When I returned to my stateroom, I had a fan and he took the $10 tip I left with a note that this tip was for the delivery of a fan. It made the room so cool when returning hot from the excursions.

A great spot on the ship that I had not read about was the front of the ship on deck 5, at the heli pad. There are benches for setting and a grest place for watching the sunrise/sunset.

On deck 11, the deck where Windjammer buffet is and the pools, if you go out the doors past the solarium pool and walk to the front of the ship, there is a step down area that allows you to look in to the bridge. It's great watching the crew while we are entering/leaving port.

I hope this helps you in your decision. If you need more information, let me know. You can send me an e-mail at Vbrogdon@yahoo.com and I will reply as soon as possible. I go back to work tomorrow so it would probably be the evening before I can reply to your e-mail.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki for the great reply. Are we allowed to bring bottled water and soda cans in on our own? I know about the liquor, but I forgot about water and soda--what the rule is. We will be sailing on AOS, the Barbados route in July. It should be very hot, but we live near Fort Lauderdale, so I guess we're used to it. I like the idea of the fan in the room! I do wish there was a 2nd full day at sea, I must say. The islands all sound beautiful, but a part of me is worried that the itinerary is a bit hectic.

Of course, I could choose to stay onboard one day, but I know I won't do that either! Luckily I have two days off after we arrive back home, but my husband does not! :o

Anything you can recommend on Antigua?

Thanks!

The "General Store" on board had nothing but booze. Not like the store on Pricess and Carnival where you can buy soda, water, chips and candy.

Vicki

I wonder if something has changed. I have been on at least ten RCI cruises and the "General Store" always sold candy and snacks (chips), as well as toiletries and other travel items. Canned soda could be purchased at any bar on the ship or in the Windjammer or MDR. Bottled water was available on carts outside the Windjammer and at the gangways on port days.

Are these items no longer available for purchase?

To answer the OP, we already went on the Aruba route of the AOS and chose that route again. For us, 5 ports is just too port intensive. We enjoy the ship and having two sea days and all the activities held on those sea days.

Our only disappointment is that on the Aruba route, St. Martin has been eliminated and that is one of our favorite islands!

I wonder if something has changed. I have been on at least ten RCI cruises and the "General Store" always sold candy and snacks (chips), as well as toiletries and other travel items. Canned soda could be purchased at any bar on the ship or in the Windjammer or MDR. Bottled water was available on carts outside the Windjammer and at the gangways on port days.

Are these items no longer available for purchase?

No, you can still buy bottled water (large Evian for $5) at the bars and outside the Windjammer as well as when you are leaving the ship. I just di not fine the General Store to be that...just booze. When I asked where to purchase a ginger ale and a bottle of water in the general store, I was told to go to any bar. Of course the first bar had neither and the sports bar was just selling it's last bottle of water to another passenger ( on Monday, the first full day of the cruise, this bar was out of water) so I was sent to the Cafe Promenade. I was told there that they had the ginger ale but not the water. I finally found another bar with water. It just shouldn't be that hard to get someting this basic. I know I could have called room service but I was already out on deck and then I would also have to tip on top of the soda and water purchase.

Thanks Vicki for the great reply. Are we allowed to bring bottled water and soda cans in on our own? I know about the liquor, but I forgot about water and soda--what the rule is. We will be sailing on AOS, the Barbados route in July. It should be very hot, but we live near Fort Lauderdale, so I guess we're used to it. I like the idea of the fan in the room! I do wish there was a 2nd full day at sea, I must say. The islands all sound beautiful, but a part of me is worried that the itinerary is a bit hectic.

Of course, I could choose to stay onboard one day, but I know I won't do that either! Luckily I have two days off after we arrive back home, but my husband does not! :o

Thanks!

Yes, you can purchase your soda and water onshore and bring on board either with your carry on or check it in with your luggage and let them deliver it to your room for you.

I don't really remember anything else about Antigua (St John) except this is where we did the beach escape excursion for $34 (4hrs) and it was great. The drive is only like 5 mins from the port. It may be cheaper to get a taxi and then pay for your chair and umbrella rental. The $34 per person included the chair and a rum punch. The umbrella rental was $6. Their local beer was $3 for a 10 oz bottle and can coke was $2. There is a bar & outside restuarant there and the food looked and smelled good. We only had an order of fries and onion rings for $7, which was a single order but we shared.

The water was great. Very clear and a bit cool but was great once you got in. The down side is that you could not really relax and enjoy your time in your chair under your umbrella for all the women coming buy to sell you jewlery and the men selling everything from coconuts to aloe vera plants. There were at leat 7 different women walking around doing this ans then they would start repeating once they had covered the entire section, like you would change your mind.

Would you please answer a question that a rep at RCI claims this ship has? He says it has a coffeemaker in each room as well as flat screen TV's since it was in drydock. Is this true? I had my TA contact RCI as well and she said to me "what you have never cruised before? of course coffee makers are in each room".

We are doing the Barbados route route, originally wanted to do the Aruba one but time frame could not workout. But I am glad that we are doing the Barbados route, talking with others that have done both routes love this one especially the island of St. Lucia.

We did the Barbados route with Serenade and the Aruba route on Adventure............ lets see....which one was better............BOTH!

Would you please answer a question that a rep at RCI claims this ship has? He says it has a coffeemaker in each room as well as flat screen TV's since it was in drydock. Is this true? I had my TA contact RCI as well and she said to me "what you have never cruised before? of course coffee makers are in each room".

Wow, hope this is true! Even the new ships I have been on didn't have coffee makers but that would be great to have. The new ships have the flat screen TV's and they are wonderful!

Wow, hope this is true! Even the new ships I have been on didn't have coffee makers but that would be great to have. The new ships have the flat screen TV's and they are wonderful!

A cruiser who just got off the AOS Sunday answered me on another thread and it still has the old TV's and no coffee makers. I knew it was too good to be true. But you would have thought they would have replaced the TV's by now. Even Carnival's old ships have the new flat screens.

My opinion is slightly biased lol, but my family is from Barbados so we picked the Barbados route again so that we can visit them ehile we are on in vacation, in addition to just being able to say we "went home for a day". I believe Barbados is very beautiful island and it is also ery modern(too modern for some) i experienced Aruba once in 04 on the Carnival Destiny and it was also extremely beautiful too. I wonder how come they don't combine the two and make it

Barbados

Sea Day

Aruba

St. Maarten

St. Croix

St.lucia

I can assure you our balcony cabin # 8334 did NOT have a coffee maker! They MAY have added to the suites but not the balcony rooms. My Son and DIL were in 8336, the balcony room right next door and they did not have a coffee maker. I would have known it if we had one because I'm a coffee drinker, especially first thing in the morning. As soon as I was on the ship I found the place to go to get my morning coffee-Cafe Promenade! It's self serve and they even have the to-go cups with lids that is handy when walking around the ship with your morning coffee. They had all you could drink Seattle's Best coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate. Over to the side, they had urns of cold milk, half & half, skim and warm milk. Most anything you could want for your coffee or hot tea, including my blue packets of Equal.

A cruiser who just got off the AOS Sunday answered me on another thread and it still has the old TV's and no coffee makers. I knew it was too good to be true. But you would have thought they would have replaced the TV's by now. Even Carnival's old ships have the new flat screens.

Yes, the other cruiser is correct. As of last Sunday, 5/17, AOS still had the old TVs. Now again, they may have only made the coffee maker and TV upgrades to the suites.

Thanks!

You should probably keep in mind that when the air is warm/hot the beaches are really the only place to be! They will call you, no beckon you! The southern Carib has some of the Best beaches in the WORLD!!! Plan your Itin with that in mind and a person can't go wrong!

Antiqua has 365 beaches!!

Our nicest day on our southern Caribbean cruise (Barbados route) was a beach day on Antigua. We got a day pass for the Grand Pineapple resort; it included food, drinks, pool, beach, bathrooms...

Several of us chipped in for a minivan to take us there and pick us up. We met on the roll call forum!

I can assure you our balcony cabin # 8334 did NOT have a coffee maker! They MAY have added to the suites but not the balcony rooms. My Son and DIL were in 8336, the balcony room right next door and they did not have a coffee maker. I would have known it if we had one because I'm a coffee drinker, especially first thing in the morning. As soon as I was on the ship I found the place to go to get my morning coffee-Cafe Promenade! It's self serve and they even have the to-go cups with lids that is handy when walking around the ship with your morning coffee. They had all you could drink Seattle's Best coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate. Over to the side, they had urns of cold milk, half & half, skim and warm milk. Most anything you could want for your coffee or hot tea, including my blue packets of Equal.

Did you happen to notice if there was Splenda (yellow packet) available at the Promenade Cafe?

Archived