Enjoyment of a cruise for regular pax vs suite pax

I can't afford a suite never will be able to afford a suite, and I just want to know that I am going to have great food, good service and be treated with respect.

I have sailed insides, oceanviews, balconies the most, mini-suites and penthouse. No matter the category, if you want great food, good service, and be treated with respect, then make sure you have a great attitude, good manners, and treat the crew with respect. Have a great first NCL cruise!

coka

We always have balcony's and have never had a bad time. We did have VIP service once, but it was one of those "nice to have but not necessary kinda things". I have no desire to pay for a cabin above balcony just to get the Suite perks, though if the price was right I might consider an upsell ;)

My parents were in an inside cabin and their cabin stewards were just as friendly and accommodating as the ones we had for our balcony cabin.

Thank you all very much for your comments. I was beginning to think that there was not anyone other than people in suites who are on this board. It is nice to read what others think about NCL and hear about their experiences.

By the way Applebee's food is pretty good and I love the buffets in Las Vegas.

Of course not everyone on CC cruises in suites, I have sailed in everything from insides to suites, [lower end ones] and have had very similiar experiences each time from the general staff.

You do get extras with a suite and you pay for those but the cruise experience itself is just as good for other categories.

On NCL now under Freestyle 2 not only the suite guests get special eating. Balconies and Minisuites also get to eat breakfast at the alternate, rather than the main dining room if they choose.

Which leaves the main dining room less busy as well, that is one advantage of having three places besides the buffet for breakfast/lunch.

You don't state what category you did book and I advise you to keep a close eye on your cruise fare between now and when you sail you may very well get price reductions or you can get yourself upgraded for what you are currently paying.

The food in the dining room is very good, it really depends on what you are used to and what you expect. I think those that don't think it is great come from two camps. Either they are used to Applebee's type places, [nothing wrong with that] and so the food and presentation is more unusual and different from what they are used to. OR they are used to HIGH end establishments, and yeah the main dining room food AND the specialty places do not compare with $50 to $100 a plate entrees from Upscale restaurants, go figure!

I think the usual comparison is Banquet food. after all they are serving THOUSANDS of meals each night, not a few dozen or even hundred.

It is very good food and especially for what you paid for it.

Service from stewards and waiters is generally good, and if it is not, complain to the next level up immediately, don't wait till you get home and then stew about it and come here to complain about it. THey are very good at addressing problems IF YOU GIVE THEM A CHANCE.

at least most common problems.

I have been on four cruises, all in inside cabins, and have had fantastic experiences every time and have never felt we were treated differently than any other passenger.

I agree with previous posters that your experience is all about your own personal attitude. My attitude is as the saying goes, "dont sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff"

I have cruised (on NCL) in oceanviews and one balcony. On other cruiselines I have cruised in inside cabins and outside. On all cruises, the food was fine and the service was good and I had a good time. Personally I think enjoying a cruise is more about attitude and expectations than cabin-type (assuming nothing major goes wrong).

You don't state what category you did book and I advise you to keep a close eye on your cruise fare between now and when you sail you may very well get price reductions or you can get yourself upgraded for what you are currently paying.

We are going to be in a balcony cabin on deck ten. I am not sure the price will be dropping to much because we did get a very good deal, but I will watch. I just looked and the price is now $170 pp more than what we paid. We are going to be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.

Arwenmark I noticed from reading an earlier post of yours that you are going to be on the Star in Sept for the Pacific Coastal. I hope you have a great time. That is a cruise I would love to do. It is kind of in our backyard. We live about 75 miles from Astoria Oregon and about 250 miles from Seattle. I love Seattle it is a beautiful City with lots to do. Astoria is a wonderful town along the Columbia River (fourth largest river in the US). Astoria is full of history. I don't know if you've seen the movie Goonies but it was filmed there. September should be a very nice time to do the Pacific Coastal. We sometimes have better weather in the fall than we do in spring and early summer. We can have warm and sunny weather clear into late October. Have a great cruise.:)

There are a few that are close. I see $199+tax offers on the websites.

Alaska at $299+tx.

timing is the key.

Mariner out of LA on the 7n is looking cheap at $300 inc tx before agent discounts.

When is that Mariner sailing?

Thank you all very much for your comments. I was beginning to think that there was not anyone other than people in suites who are on this board. It is nice to read what others think about NCL and hear about their experiences.

By the way Applebee's food is pretty good and I love the buffets in Las Vegas.

Hi, Reba -- We usually book inside cabins and have had great service. We don't need anything but a clean room, towels, and ice in the bucket. The restaurants all serve great food, and the service is excellent. Meet the waiters and stewards with a smile on your face, and you will get the best they have to offer. Do the same with the officers who attend the meet and greet, and if a problem should arise, contact them and you will have if corrected quickly. Bill

Hi, Reba -- We usually book inside cabins and have had great service. We don't need anything but a clean room, towels, and ice in the bucket. The restaurants all serve great food, and the service is excellent. Meet the waiters and stewards with a smile on your face, and you will get the best they have to offer. Do the same with the officers who attend the meet and greet, and if a problem should arise, contact them and you will have if corrected quickly. Bill

Hi Bill - Nice to hear from you. I still say you and your wife should join us on our cruise you could do a back to back and just stay on the ship. Insides are only $399 pp plus tax. You'll have to let us all know how your cruise to Alaska on the pearl goes on 5/31 we would all love to hear about it.

Hi Bill - Nice to hear from you. I still say you and your wife should join us on our cruise you could do a back to back and just stay on the ship. Insides are only $399 pp plus tax. You'll have to let us all know how your cruise to Alaska on the pearl goes on 5/31 we would all love to hear about it.

Don't tempt me !!!!

I will let you know about the Pearl. We booked it to celebrate our 50th anniversary (sort of). We get back two days before our anniversary, so we will be with the kids on that day. Bill

When is that Mariner sailing?

24th May Z gty, UK RCI direct.

£502.44 total for 2 pax(£185pp) tax(£56) tips(£76.44)

£213pp inc tax no tips, so $323 at todays rate.

US setting will not give me a price, looks like it should be $299+tax which is more than the UK.

On my first cruise, we jammed 4 nurses into an inside cabin.:eek: On my second cruise, we jammed 4 nurses into an ocean view cabin.:cool: I've never been treated better or had more fun than I did on those cruises. My last cruise and my next cruise are both with my sister and in suites. The only reason we chose suites is because we celebrated her divorce on the first and my college graduation and getting into grad school for the second. BUT, I'll always remember the fun I had jammed in the cabins of the first two cruises!:D

On my first cruise, we jammed 4 nurses into an inside cabin.:eek: On my second cruise, we jammed 4 nurses into an ocean view cabin.:cool: I've never been treated better or had more fun than I did on those cruises. My last cruise and my next cruise are both with my sister and in suites. The only reason we chose suites is because we celebrated her divorce on the first and my college graduation and getting into grad school for the second. BUT, I'll always remember the fun I had jammed in the cabins of the first two cruises!:D

I say, "You be jammin'" with four to an inside. :eek:

DT

On NCL we've had an oceanview, a balcony, and a mini-suite. On each the service was great, the food was excellent, and we had a freaking great time. (Why else would keep coming back?) We really enjoyed the extra room and bigger bathroom of the mini-suite and have booked another one for our next cruise. But we'd have just a good a time if we only could get an oceanview.

We have sailed 5 times on different cruiselines. Four times we had inside cabins and once we had an ocean view. We are so happy to be cruising that we don't mind inside cabins at all (we are rural working class people). Except for once when hubby and I had a cabin to ourselves, we have always have four "jammed" into our little cabins. We never had a problem with it, as we spend very little time in our cabin. We are busy out and about enjoying all that ship life has to offer. In Oct. we are sailing NCL for the first time (Dawn to Bermuda) and yes, once again, we are four adults in an inside cabin (myself, hubby, and 2 of my girlfriends). Can't wait to sail! We have the really 'cheap seats'. We are a KK --deck 4 inside about 4 cabins from the 'nose' of the ship.

Kathy in northern Maine

I gotta tell ya, me and my wife are from the Midwest and moved to Long Island. My job affords us many of the things we did not have when we first met. Long Island diversity in foods and restaurants is great, and on Vacations we have enjoyed MANY great places. She is a country girl BUT has learned to eat some great food in NYC and on the Island. She still likes her Cornbread and Fried Chicken but can eat some seafood like it was her last meal. I however have enjoyed Gourmet as well as what I grew up with in Kentucky. We took our first crusie with NCL back in October of 2007 on the Pearl (Eastern Carribbean). LOVED IT ! We are taking the Dawn to Bermuda and I am sure we are gonna love that too.

In saying that, we are not high maintenance BUT expect service for what we pay for. There are some times we do not like the food or the service in any particular place, but we have never brought down the entire place for lackluster in either.

Our experience on the Pearl and with NCL made us want to do it again. Is it Peter Lugers (AWESOME STEAKHOUSE), probably not, BUT I am not paying $75 for a steak on the ship either. Some of the food is GREAT as expected and some of it is what you would expect in a BUFFET. BUT, what a great buffet.

For what you get on a cruise for your money as compared to a Hotel and meals etc., you get a great vacation with wonderful food and the traditional "I have had better" crowds. Well, maybe they have, but it is according to what you expect.

You go to a place (ANY PLACE) and expect Chef Gordan Ramsey and get the Fry Cook at the local diner, then I would say you will have a bad experience.

Enjoy it and have fun ! !

NCL is great and pleased us on the Pearl and I am sure on the Dawn.

HOWEVER, the first dweeb that steels my deck chair when I go to get a drink for 2 minutes had better look out ! !

Nice topic created by the OP.

From what I read on these boards are the more affluent the passenger the higher the expectation of the cruising experience. Most suite passengers are regular cruisers to probably rate every cruise to a standard set by the best on ship experience. I heard one person (Suite Passenger by the way) rate the food as fair and a little disappointing on NCL. They went on to add that if you think Applebees is good food, then you will find NCL food fabulous.

Well that statement to me spoke volumes of the attitude and tastes of the reviewer and the quality of food found on NCL. While they looked down their noses at franchise dining, I happen to think Applebees has pretty good food. So if the cruise offers something better on my vacation I will extremely satisfied. But then again, I am an inside cabin or balcony at best kind of guy.

As landlocked as you can get in North America, I am happy to be able to bring my family to the sea every few years so I can guarantee my expereince will be a positive one. If my cabin stewerd doesn't clean something up properly, I would just do it myself and forget about the incident. Some people however, let it bother them and you can read some this silliness in the cruise reviews.

If you see a overly critical review, it is often by a suite passenger who has a dozen or more cruises in their signature at the bottom. There is nothing wrong with their critique of the cruise per se but, you must understand that you are reading a review from someone who has a total different perspective on cruising and life in general. (Disclaimer: not all suite passengers are overly critical and a vast majority offer great suggestions)

When reading some of the posts in this forum, always ask yourself what type of expectations does this individual have and are they aligned to my attitude.

Always remember: The most important part of the cruise is the attitude you bring on board the ship. :D

Being from Scranton--Applebees IS fine dining for us!!Burger King a treat now and then as we have to drive 80 miles to eat at one.:D We do stay in suites, but have done ocean view, balconies, mini-suites can't do insides or anything tooo small as DH can't handle small areas. We like to be spoiled on our cruises, makes coming back to the plains bearable HAHA! I don't consider ourselves snobs, but just really enjoy the suite life.

Really enjoyed your post BTW!

I've done two cruises in a balcony (BB and a BD) and one in an AE Penthouse. All three were WONDERFUL experiences. Sure, the suite perks were nice, it was fun to be a VIP, but I thought the food & service were great even in the balcony cabins.

I gotta tell ya, me and my wife are from the Midwest and moved to Long Island. My job affords us many of the things we did not have when we first met. Long Island diversity in foods and restaurants is great, and on Vacations we have enjoyed MANY great places. She is a country girl BUT has learned to eat some great food in NYC and on the Island. She still likes her Cornbread and Fried Chicken but can eat some seafood like it was her last meal. I however have enjoyed Gourmet as well as what I grew up with in Kentucky. We took our first crusie with NCL back in October of 2007 on the Pearl (Eastern Carribbean). LOVED IT ! We are taking the Dawn to Bermuda and I am sure we are gonna love that too.

In saying that, we are not high maintenance BUT expect service for what we pay for. There are some times we do not like the food or the service in any particular place, but we have never brought down the entire place for lackluster in either.

Our experience on the Pearl and with NCL made us want to do it again. Is it Peter Lugers (AWESOME STEAKHOUSE), probably not, BUT I am not paying $75 for a steak on the ship either. Some of the food is GREAT as expected and some of it is what you would expect in a BUFFET. BUT, what a great buffet.

For what you get on a cruise for your money as compared to a Hotel and meals etc., you get a great vacation with wonderful food and the traditional "I have had better" crowds. Well, maybe they have, but it is according to what you expect.

You go to a place (ANY PLACE) and expect Chef Gordan Ramsey and get the Fry Cook at the local diner, then I would say you will have a bad experience.

Enjoy it and have fun ! !

NCL is great and pleased us on the Pearl and I am sure on the Dawn.

HOWEVER, the first dweeb that steels my deck chair when I go to get a drink for 2 minutes had better look out ! !

What a great attitude you have! I agree with your assessments 100%

Don't you just love LI? I am from there but live in Atlanta now.

We have lived in Lindenhurst, Port Jeff Station, and Kings Park...miss it.

We are sailing on the Star in July. However we are going on a charter that has cost us one of our arms and the others left ear. Almost 3500 for the three of us!!! I am thinking the next cruise is going to be a non charter!!! I would love to cruise for 399 plus tax!!

Oh and i really like the thread that was started here...we are a couple of working class ppl and also enjoy Applebees!!! Bring on the wings ppl!!!

Cheers to everyone taking a cruise this year!!!

We have done the insides up to the courtyard(last one) and back to insides(next one).

Apart for b,fast/lunch and the suite perks, the rest is the same.

You get to eat in the same places, see the same entertainment, drink in the same bars.

Had great(most of the time) and indifferent(very occationaly) cabin service at all levels.

A lot can be down to yourself, nice begets nice.

It is easy to avoid the lines for the dinning rooms, if they occur usualy it is just at peak times, eat at a slightly different time.

We put some in the budget for the specilities but usualy check the menu of the day and then choose, on our last trip we found ourselves eating in the main dining more that we though we were going to.

As for the costs of the extras, sometime there are deals that make the stretch to a suite worth while, if not stick with the cheaper options and go more times.

Ditto everything Inside Cabin said except - our next cruise is our first inside cabin. We just couldn't afford a higher category and given the choice between waiting another year or going inside - inside won hands down. I'm a bit claustrophobic so I'm hoping it'll work out....

Anyway, our one Courtyard Villa experience was a free upgrade at port. It was only a one-nighter but it sure gave us a taste of the high life! Two Suite drawbacks for us, if you can call them that, were that the cabin was SO lovely we didn't want to leave it and we were too embarassed to take advantage of the "perks". I kept nipping out and picking up snacks, wine etc. and each time I was scolded by the, I suppose, butler? Very good-natured scolding of course but, he felt it was his job to run around after us - which I suppose it is. But, still, we felt too weird picking up the phone every time we wanted a little something though, so I think Suite Perks are wasted on The Nice Family. Oh, breakfast at Cagney's was nice but, again, we just felt strange in there - hobnobbing with the people who'd actually paid for the privilege.

As for waiting for a table at the main dining rooms, gosh, I can't think of a nicer place to be waiting for 20-30 minutes or so! Pretty much every diningroom we've been to is near a venue that has live music. It became part of our routine to go at the busiest time for dining (about 7:00 - just after dropping our DD at the Kids Club). We'd request a really nice table for 2 - knowing that would extend the wait - then take our pager and head to the nearest pub or cocktail bar for a pre-dinner drink and to hear some great music. It got to the point where we were disappointed if they actually had a table ready for us as soon as we arrived!

What I'm saying is just a repeat of what many here will tell you. A cruise is like anything else - it's what you make of it. It is such a wonderful, carefree feeling to be in this floating village where every turn offers up views or food or games or classes or ports or spa treatments or hot tubs. All of these things are common to every guest on board, not just Suite passengers. What's not to like?

Ditto everything Inside Cabin said except - our next cruise is our first inside cabin. We just couldn't afford a higher category and given the choice between waiting another year or going inside - inside won hands down. I'm a bit claustrophobic so I'm hoping it'll work out....

Anyway, our one Courtyard Villa experience was a free upgrade at port. It was only a one-nighter but it sure gave us a taste of the high life! Two Suite drawbacks for us, if you can call them that, were that the cabin was SO lovely we didn't want to leave it and we were too embarassed to take advantage of the "perks". I kept nipping out and picking up snacks, wine etc. and each time I was scolded by the, I suppose, butler? Very good-natured scolding of course but, he felt it was his job to run around after us - which I suppose it is. But, still, we felt too weird picking up the phone every time we wanted a little something though, so I think Suite Perks are wasted on The Nice Family. Oh, breakfast at Cagney's was nice but, again, we just felt strange in there - hobnobbing with the people who'd actually paid for the privilege.

As for waiting for a table at the main dining rooms, gosh, I can't think of a nicer place to be waiting for 20-30 minutes or so! Pretty much every diningroom we've been to is near a venue that has live music. It became part of our routine to go at the busiest time for dining (about 7:00 - just after dropping our DD at the Kids Club). We'd request a really nice table for 2 - knowing that would extend the wait - then take our pager and head to the nearest pub or cocktail bar for a pre-dinner drink and to hear some great music. It got to the point where we were disappointed if they actually had a table ready for us as soon as we arrived!

What I'm saying is just a repeat of what many here will tell you. A cruise is like anything else - it's what you make of it. It is such a wonderful, carefree feeling to be in this floating village where every turn offers up views or food or games or classes or ports or spa treatments or hot tubs. All of these things are common to every guest on board, not just Suite passengers. What's not to like?

Wow, I applaud your attitude and patience. What a wonderful way to pass the time.

My experience and observations have been this: your own attitude is directly linked to your enjoyment of the cruise. Yes, there are things that can go wrong or are not what you expected (CC helps with expectations in many cases - I was ready for the singing waiters and maitre d' on Carnival but DH wasn't!). Also, people who are usually complainers at home do not take a vacation from that! I sometimes wonder if they ever enjoy anything. I've learned to temper reviews I read. Does the reviewer like the same things I do or have similar expectations? I can put more stock in a review written by someone whose posts I've read many times and can identify with.

That being said, all five of our cruises have been in inside cabins (and there are three of us in it :D). We've never had a bad one. Some have had better food. Same goes with service. But I'm a "glass half full" kind of person. I'm thankful for what I do have - good health, stable job, good family, the ability and finances to travel a couple of times per year (only cruising once a year usually), etc. I don't sweat the small stuff at home, so why would I want to do that on vacation?

X2 on those Vegas buffets.

Call me nuts but on my next cruise I am jamming 4 into an inside cabin. This cruise should be a ball.

Been there, done that (several times). Each time we had a blast!

Archived