Port charges for being IN the US?

Taking my first cruise 5/24...western carribean, of coure Cozumel was dropped and now we have to go to Key West...have been there a LOT and don't like the fact of loosing an 'exotic' port. Grand Cayman/Rotan/Belize/Cozumel was to be my list

I saw that someone go a 'refund' for port charges not used in Rotan at one point since the ship couldn't dock and was wondering if you get charged port charges for being in the US and not out of the country...and if not would/should we be getting reimbursed?

Taking my first cruise 5/24...western carribean, of coure Cozumel was dropped and now we have to go to Key West...have been there a LOT and don't like the fact of loosing an 'exotic' port. Grand Cayman/Rotan/Belize/Cozumel was to be my list

I saw that someone go a 'refund' for port charges not used in Rotan at one point since the ship couldn't dock and was wondering if you get charged port charges for being in the US and not out of the country...and if not would/should we be getting reimbursed?

Carnival still has to pay the good people of Key West/ the Port of Key West/ and or the Navy to use port pilots and to dock at the pier.

What? You think it's free to just pull up and park a mega ton ship?

Your ship will incur port charges and the charges will be passed on to you. No you should not be reimbursed.

US ports charge just like all others. The way the US is, I would not be surprized if we started charging all ships nearby and not just the ones who pull in and dock. :eek: Our government will tax anything and everything they think they can get by with.

On our last few cruises out of Miami we noticed S&S charges for additional port fees for Port of Miami. You can't even leave a port now without paying. Who says pirates are just off the coast of Somalia? Their bretheren are alive and well in our local, state and federal governments. :p

Our cruises to nowhere from Norfolk have actually had some of the most expensive port fees. The port pilots from Norfolk apparently charge more than many areas. U.S. ports definitely charge port fees - you have to charge something to make up for using the local resources such as security at the port, police presence, pilots, porters, etc.

Your ship will incur port charges and the charges will be passed on to you. No you should not be reimbursed.

US ports charge just like all others. The way the US is, I would not be surprized if we started charging all ships nearby and not just the ones who pull in and dock. :eek: Our government will tax anything and everything they think they can get by with.

On our last few cruises out of Miami we noticed S&S charges for additional port fees for Port of Miami. You can't even leave a port now without paying. Who says pirates are just off the coast of Somalia? Their bretheren are alive and well in our local, state and federal governments. :p

MAN.....ain't that the TRUTH....!!!!!!!!!

LMAO How true!! Thanks for the morning laugh :)

I agree. Very sad these days to witness the death of Capitalism, the very thing that motivates men to form cruise lines, for example. :rolleyes:

"If it moves, tax it . . . if it continues to move, regulate it . . . if it quits moving, subsidize it" Ronald Reagan

WOW! That's an awesome salary, for a job that would probably be a lot of fun (albeit stressful)

Ask that pilot who in 2007 crashed a ship into a bridge tower while piloting in dense fog in San Francisco. Coast Guard (DOJ) criminally charged him for the accident. Literally thousands of gallons of oil spilled into the bay. Besides that ..that job does pay very good..

WOW! That's an awesome salary, for a job that would probably be a lot of fun (albeit stressful)

There was a great show that used to be on the National Geographic channel called "America's Port" all about operations at the port of Los Angeles. Fascinating stuff. The port pilots earn EVERY dime of that money as far as I'm concerned. These guys go out in high seas and climb rope ladders up into ships without any kind of safety net, then take command of a huge vessel and steer it into port, often through some very narrow channels. They work all hours of the day and night to do this.

Seems like one episode an RCI ship almost collided something because the ship was being pulled by high winds and they couldn't make a turn in the channel like they wanted to.

Archived