How are the "Family Activities" on Freedom Class ships?

mpb43

We just booked a family cruise on Independence of the Seas for next spring break, 2010. We will be traveling with my 3 kids, ages 13, 11, and 6 at the time of travel, and my parents. My kids have cruised once before and loved it, but my two older kids really did not participate in the kid's club.

Frequently, the things my 11 year old DD wanted to do were some of the adult activities--napkin folding and T-shirt painting, which of course she couldn't do. I noticed as I was reading crunsinmama06's capers (thank you, they are great information!), that there are some "Family Activities" and even "Family Excursions". Has anyone done these? Thanks!

I agree, why didn't she try the napkin folding and t-shirt painting? :D

And yes, we have participated in the family activities a few times. Those activities usually happened twice/day. Once in the morning/afternoon and once at night.

Activities range from Family Karaoke, Dance Parties, Scavenger hunts, Wii Tournaments, Trivia, etc.

Now, Family Excursions? I haven't tried those. We do family friendly excursions, but didn't notice that RCCL organizes them just for families.

The family activities sound fun. Our cruise has 3 sea days which I why I am trying to think ahead if again, the older kids don't want to go to the kids club. I'm sure my 6 year old will enjoy Adventure Ocean though. One of the reasons we chose the Independence is that there are so many activities on board (golf, swimming, ice skating) that don't require the kids club.

Why couldnt they join in the napkin folding and t shirt painting?

It didn't occur to me that the napkin folding activity would only be for adults. When I arrived with my daughter, the cruise staff hosting the activity would not even give her a napkin.

It didn't occur to me that the napkin folding activity would only be for adults. When I arrived with my daughter, the cruise staff hosting the activity would not even give her a napkin.

What ship was this? And remind me to avoid it like the plague. ;)

What ship was this? And remind me to avoid it like the plague. ;)

This was our first cruise, a Costa ship from Venice to Greece. We were traveling with extended family (I think 14 of us total) and all of us newbies thought it was logical to take an Italian ship out of Venice. Costa was the choice. It actually was a pretty enjoyable cruise overall--the ports could not be beat-- but you know, it was our first. In retrospect, one of our problems with the kids club was that there were very few english-speaking children on board, and they had plenty of family to keep them company. It was mid-July, and the ship was loaded with kids-- I think the cruise staff became prickly about the adult activities.

Archived