Naples to Positano or Sorrento and back

I'll be in Naples on Summit in the few weeks and want to spend my time soaking up the Amalfi coast - but without spending a fortune. Ideally, I would love to go from Naples to Positano by water and come back by land.

• I've managed to decipher enough of the Italian language schedule to know that Alilauro has a hydrofoil from very close to where we're docking over to to Sorrento. However, it doesn't look like they go to Positano. I've also checked Metro del Mare. Their route map shows Naples to Positano, but I can't find it on the schedule!
  • I also know that Circumvesuviana has regular service to virtually everywhere on the coast. I can even figure out what time trains leave Positano or Sorrento. What I can't figure out is how long it takes to get to Naples - and which station I want to go to in Naples.

All by itself, public transit is pretty exotic for someone from a small city in south Louisiana. Add Italy to the equation and it gets kinda scary for a woman who may be alone on this little excursion. Yes, I've used public transit in major metros in North America and in London, but I'm only comfortable with it when I've carefully mapped and scheduled exactly how to get from Point A to Point B. And I've never tried it somewhat less than even rudimentary language skills! I'm a pretty gutsy old broad (not tooooo old!), but I don't want to "bite off more than I can chew."

If this seems like a practical program for someone like me, I hope that some of you more experienced travelers in that part of the world can help be decipher how to do it!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Donia

You may want to do it in two different "hops" - Naples to Sorrento, Sorrento to Positano.

For example, from Sorrento, you can easily take a bus or ferry to Positano. The ferries can be found in this article from Fodors: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/amalfi-coast-and-capri/travel-tip_1990228.html

Good information on the bus service is here: http://www.ondaverde.it/sitai.htm

If I were to make a recommendation, however, I'd suggest taking the bus in the morning between Sorrento and Positano, the ferries on the way back. In the afternoons, the roads become so congested (especially if you wanted to go one step farther to Amalfi), so timing is trickier to get you back to the ship on time. Not to mention I've read the bus coming back from Positano often is full by the time it gets there (it starts in Amalfi). Finally, the bus can let you off at the top of Positano and you can wander your way down to the ferries, rather than climbing all day.

Thanks, Amber - I was hoping to avoid a bus ride, but I'm beginning to think your suggestion is the only practical one. I'm been on that road in a bus - I was so motion sick after 10 minutes that I wanted to die! However, I'll take my Bonine before I leave that morning and maybe it will be OK.

Thanks again, Donia

As one being inclined to suffer from carsick/seasick, etc., I really don't want to do the bus deal if the roads are very curvy.

I had looked online at the Stringer family's website, and thought that the trek they took seemed like a good idea. Maybe going buses in the morning would be better--not so hot, not so crowded--and not as much a chance of missing the ship!

I'm getting a lot of good ideas from reading the posts here.

Thanks

As one being inclined to suffer from carsick/seasick, etc., I really don't want to do the bus deal if the roads are very curvy.

I had looked online at the Stringer family's website, and thought that the trek they took seemed like a good idea. Maybe going buses in the morning would be better--not so hot, not so crowded--and not as much a chance of missing the ship!

I'm getting a lot of good ideas from reading the posts here.

Thanks

Maggielynn - I've spent waaaaaay too much of my day trying to research this trip following in the Stringers footsteps because it sounded so wonderful when I read it a couple of weeks ago. It looks like you can get from Naples to Sorrento by hydrofoil and arrive before 10:00 AM. (Probably earlier in the summer) There are hourly buses from Sorrento to Positano and it looks like about a 25 minute ride with about 4-5 stops. As the distance between Sorrento and Positano is quite short, I'm going to see what I can find about taxi service between them.

The disconnect comes with the reverse trip. The only afternoon ferry from Positano to Sorrento (to avoid the afternoon bus ride) arrives too late to connect with the last hydrofoil to Naples on the current schedule. However, the summer schedules aren't showing on their websites and I strongly suspect that there will be a hydrofoil out of Sorrento later than 4:45 in the summer - that's the latest one right now. The ferry service between Positano and Sorrento will probably also be expanded in the summer. (The two routes are actually run by two different lines - which explains why they don't connect well.)

I did some further research into the train from Sorrento to Naples - and found absolutely no one with anything good to say about it. Evidently, it's hot, slow, makes frequent stops, and has extremely uncomfortable cars.

That leaves returning by bus or ferry as the only options.

Alternatively, Celebrity has an all day shorex that goes down the coast all the way to Amalfi - stopping at Sorrento and driving past Positano. It's 9 hours and costs $144. The more I struggle with this schedule, the more appealing that looks! I also suffer from motion sickness problems and I'm trying to find out what kind of vehicle they're using.

When you get a chance, please check in at our rollcall - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=790477

Just a little more than a month to go!:D:D:D:D:D

Donia

Donia, I too am very prone to motion sickness, but when we did our private tour in a 9 person van, I didn't feel a thing--I sat by the window in the middle row and was fine. I think the motion of those big buses really is the cause--when the front is going one way and the back another.

Before paying the outrageous amount for the ship tour, why not contact Marcello at marcellomaresca@tiscali.it and see if he can't tailor something to your wishes. We paid 150 euros per couple (4) which included the tip.

Cathy

Before paying the outrageous amount for the ship tour, why not contact Marcello at marcellomaresca@tiscali.it and see if he can't tailor something to your wishes. We paid 150 euros per couple (4) which included the tip.

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy. I think I'll go back to my rollcall and give a shot at finding some company. I'll be solo in Naples because my friends are doing an excursion that I didn't want to.

D.

I have used Salvatore with DriveAmalfi twice, once 5 years ago and again this past week. (We just returned last night!) He can take up to 6 passengers and is a magnificant driver & tour guide. He is a wealth of information, as he was born in Amalfi and still lives there with his family. He can be contacted at *********************. He took us to a familyrun restarant that had the most fabulous view. We asked him to order for us and we had a lunch fit for an Italian king!:D

He took us to a familyrun restarant that had the most fabulous view. We asked him to order for us and we had a lunch fit for an Italian king!:D

Do you happen to remember the name of the restaurant? I toured with him a few years ago, and we never made it there. Heading back in August, and although I'm touring on my own, I'd love to make a stop there.

I have used Salvatore with DriveAmalfi twice' date=' once 5 years ago and again this past week. (We just returned last night!) He can take up to 6 passengers and is a magnificant driver & tour guide. He is a wealth of information, as he was born in Amalfi and still lives there with his family. He can be contacted at *********************. He took us to a familyrun restarant that had the most fabulous view. We asked him to order for us and we had a lunch fit for an Italian king!:D

We used Salvatore of Drive Amalfi 3 years ago and have booked him again in November. He took 8 of us before and will do so again.

Let me try to explain the differences between going to Sorrento and Positano. We do this having spent nearly two weeks living on the Amalfi Coast (in Praiano about 5 km from Positano) and having been to Naples as a port of call more than 8 times. Getting from Naples to Sorrento is quite easy since there are at least 2 trains per hour (Circumvesuviania Line) and reasonable number of jet boats/hydrofoils per day although this does vary by season. Positano is a different situation. It is located along the 2 lane Amalfi Drive (about half way between Sorrento and Amalfi) where summer traffic (and possible accidents) can cause unexpected delays. There is a public SITA bus line that runs between Sorrento and Amalfi (it stops in Positano), but this bus line can be standing room only during the summer season and is also subject to the same traffic delays as a car or bus. Hydrofoil/Jet Boats to Positano are actually few and far between, so one must be careful with the schedules if planning to use boats. Personally, when we want to go to Positano, Amalfi or Ravello, we do it by car (we drive ourselves). If you really want to see the Amalfi coast on a Naples port day, I strongly agree with those who recommend hiring an experienced local guide/driver. As to cruise line tours, the problem is that buses are not permitted to enter the one road that goes into Positano. So, most of those tours give you a glance from the road above (Amalfi Drive) but never really let you see the wonderful village. There is a local bus line (Orange Buses) that do run through the only Positano road, but this is not helpful to those on large bus tours. The reality is that most cruise line passengers that take the Amalfi Coast tours get to tell their friend that they saw Positano...but the truth is they never really entered the town.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Donna,

Go to the www.metrodelmare.com web site. Click on Timetables link in left margin. Now, center of the screen, you will see Depliants click the MM1-MM2-MM3. This will download a 16 page PDF with timetables from the various locations so you can figure out your timeline.

Best regards,

Ellen

I'll be in Naples on Summit in the few weeks and want to spend my time soaking up the Amalfi coast - but without spending a fortune. Ideally, I would love to go from Naples to Positano by water and come back by land.

• I've managed to decipher enough of the Italian language schedule to know that Alilauro has a hydrofoil from very close to where we're docking over to to Sorrento. However, it doesn't look like they go to Positano. I've also checked Metro del Mare. Their route map shows Naples to Positano, but I can't find it on the schedule!
  • I also know that Circumvesuviana has regular service to virtually everywhere on the coast. I can even figure out what time trains leave Positano or Sorrento. What I can't figure out is how long it takes to get to Naples - and which station I want to go to in Naples.

All by itself, public transit is pretty exotic for someone from a small city in south Louisiana. Add Italy to the equation and it gets kinda scary for a woman who may be alone on this little excursion. Yes, I've used public transit in major metros in North America and in London, but I'm only comfortable with it when I've carefully mapped and scheduled exactly how to get from Point A to Point B. And I've never tried it somewhat less than even rudimentary language skills! I'm a pretty gutsy old broad (not tooooo old!), but I don't want to "bite off more than I can chew."

If this seems like a practical program for someone like me, I hope that some of you more experienced travelers in that part of the world can help be decipher how to do it!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Donia

Halemaumau - Thanks for posting the link!

Hope you all don't mind me butting in here, but I could use some advice, too!

Our plan is to take the Circumvesuviana train from Naples in the early AM, with a couple hour stop at Pompeii, then back on the train to Sorrento for lunch, shopping, etc.

We plan to take the hydrofoil back to Naples. If I read the timetable correctly, it appears that there is a departure on the MM1 line from Sorrento at 2:40 that arrives at Napoli Beverello (which is closest to the port, correct?) at 4:15.

Can anyone confirm or advise on this plan? I suspect we'd be wise to purchase the hydrofoil tickets as soon as we arrive in Sorrento. I hesitate to plan anything further beyond Sorrento - I am being overly cautious, or is my plan about right?

Thanks for your help!

Bridget

Let me try to explain the differences between going to Sorrento and Positano. We do this having spent nearly two weeks living on the Amalfi Coast (in Praiano about 5 km from Positano) and having been to Naples as a port of call more than 8 times. Getting from Naples to Sorrento is quite easy since there are at least 2 trains per hour (Circumvesuviania Line) and reasonable number of jet boats/hydrofoils per day although this does vary by season. Positano is a different situation. It is located along the 2 lane Amalfi Drive (about half way between Sorrento and Amalfi) where summer traffic (and possible accidents) can cause unexpected delays. There is a public SITA bus line that runs between Sorrento and Amalfi (it stops in Positano), but this bus line can be standing room only during the summer season and is also subject to the same traffic delays as a car or bus. Hydrofoil/Jet Boats to Positano are actually few and far between, so one must be careful with the schedules if planning to use boats. Personally, when we want to go to Positano, Amalfi or Ravello, we do it by car (we drive ourselves). If you really want to see the Amalfi coast on a Naples port day, I strongly agree with those who recommend hiring an experienced local guide/driver. As to cruise line tours, the problem is that buses are not permitted to enter the one road that goes into Positano. So, most of those tours give you a glance from the road above (Amalfi Drive) but never really let you see the wonderful village. There is a local bus line (Orange Buses) that do run through the only Positano road, but this is not helpful to those on large bus tours. The reality is that most cruise line passengers that take the Amalfi Coast tours get to tell their friend that they saw Positano...but the truth is they never really entered the town.

Hank

We just came back from a DriveAmalfi tour to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. I would have to say that for the most part, we were just driving through the towns as well. Very, very brief stop in Amalfi...like about 1/2 hour to 45 min. Had a great lunch at a local restaurant, but the rest of the time was spent on the road seeing the coast and Pompeii. We loved it, don't get me wrong, but would like to return to spend some time experiencing these beautiful towns. They're too special to just get a passing glance.

Thanks, Amber - I was hoping to avoid a bus ride, but I'm beginning to think your suggestion is the only practical one. I'm been on that road in a bus - I was so motion sick after 10 minutes that I wanted to die! However, I'll take my Bonine before I leave that morning and maybe it will be OK.

Thanks again, Donia

I know what you mean about being sick. When we took the bus trip along the Amalfi coast, I, too, was so sick and I don't ever get carsick. We are going to be in that area again in Sept. and although I would love to drive the coast again, I think we will pass and just cherish our memories from before.

Mary Lou

Let me try to explain the differences between going to Sorrento and Positano. We do this having spent nearly two weeks living on the Amalfi Coast (in Praiano about 5 km from Positano) and having been to Naples as a port of call more than 8 times.

Just have to say that this must have been heaven on earth. :cool:

Just have to say that this must have been heaven on earth. :cool:

There are many "heavenly" places in Europe, but most can only be truly experienced by doing a land-based trip on your own. Most tours tend to try to crowd too much into a short period of time..thus missing most of what is best about a place. We first experienced the Amalfi Coast during a port day (about 25 years ago) and quickly realized it was worthy of an extended visit (cruises are a great way to find the places worthy of return visits). Spending time in Praiano (a small village about 10 min drive from Positano) reinforced our original opinion and we have since returned several times. One of the real crimes about the cruise ship tours (and many private tours) is that they all mention Positano, but no bus can truly go to Positano (except the regional SITA bus and the local Orange buses). So, most cruise ship passengers have to be content to look down at Positano without ever having an opportunity to sample its charms, shops, restaurants and cafes. We are very supportive of Med cruises (we have been on many), but they are very limited in what they offer to passengers. For us, the ideal vacation is to take a Med cruise and than spend additional time in Europe with a car. We also think trains are over praised since they cannot take you to many of the best parts of Europe. There is no way to explore places like Tuscany and Umbria in Italy, or Provence in France by using a train. We have long been puzzled why our fellow Americans, who are addicted to the automobile, are reluctant to drive a car in Europe (this seems to only be an issue for Americans and Japanese tourists). We recently rented a car from Hertz (booked through Kemwel) in Italy for 18 days, and the total cost was less than $650 or about $36 per day (and this was with a zero deductable on collision). During those 18 days we drove through parts of Italy and France and did what we wanted, when we wanted, and were only with the people we wanted.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
Donia, I too am very prone to motion sickness, but when we did our private tour in a 9 person van, I didn't feel a thing--I sat by the window in the middle row and was fine. I think the motion of those big buses really is the cause--when the front is going one way and the back another.

Cathy

Cathy - Would you mind emailing me so I can ask you a couple of questions privately? debelm2@yahoo.com

TIA,

Deb

We took the Metrodelmare boat from Naples to Sorrento. The cost was minimal (I think around 13 euros each) and took about 45 minutes. It is literally just to your left as you get off the ship. We looked around Sorrento for a few hours, then caught the train to Pompeii. The train to Pompeii stops right at the ruins. You can't miss them. Then you have to decide how long you want to see the ruins. You can do self guided tours that range from 2 hours to 6 hours, and guided tours are also available. You could probably spend days in Pompeii if you wanted to. The town was HUGE. Then just jump on the train to Pompeii and take it back to Naples. We grabbed a taxi from the train station in Naples back to the port. It wasn't too expensive. We watched the time, but not with a stopwatch, and had a good time. Hope this helps.

Archived