Rome (Vatican) on Sunday

Our cruise arrives in Civitavecchia on a Sunday. Is the Vatican closed to tourist on Sunday? Most independent Vatican tours seem to exclude Sunday. The ship's information includes the Vatican tour. What should we expect for our Sunday arrival? Are any other sights closed on Sunday?

george

The Vatican museum, which includes the Sistine Chapel, is closed every Sunday except the last Sunday of the month when it is open, free, and generally mobbed.

Almost anything else you would consider visiting in Rome -- including St. Peters Basilica, the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Pantheon, Capitoline Museum, Borghese Gallery etc -- are all open on Sunday. Of course, you can always see free of charge all of the beautiful fountains of Rome, the Spanish steps, and the many churches.

Our ship also disembarks in Rome on a Sunday - June 21st. This will be the only day we can see St Peter's Basilica. Is there a charge to go in there and look around and would there be lines to do this? (I'm thinking there is only a charge and lines when the museum and Sistine Chapel are open, correct?)

Also, do you think going there earlier in the day or in the afternoon would be better?

Thanks for any info!

Our ship also disembarks in Rome on a Sunday - June 21st. This will be the only day we can see St Peter's Basilica. Is there a charge to go in there and look around and would there be lines to do this? (I'm thinking there is only a charge and lines when the museum and Sistine Chapel are open, correct?)

Also, do you think going there earlier in the day or in the afternoon would be better?

Thanks for any info!

St Peters will be open and there is no charge to go inside. You do have to go through a security check (also the spot where people's attire is eyeballed and you are denied entry if knees/shoulders are not covered...;)), and that line can back up a bit, but I have never had to wait more than about 20 minutes. However, I usually visit during the off season (November, December, February) when things are less crowded. I'm not really sure what time is better other than first thing in the morning -- but that doesn't sound like an option for you if your disembarking that day.

Sunday mornings can be a little busy with crowds gathering for the Sunday Angelus at noon. However, there will be no Angelus on June 21st so it should be a little quieter..although you may still get those who visit expecting the Angelus, so perhaps it's not so cut & dried. I would opt to either make it my first or last visit, avoiding the middle of the day.

Archived