Cruising the Caribbean in August - Hurricane season

I'm having second thoughts now after watching a few videos on youtube. :eek: I understand we can't predict the weather but I'm hoping some die hard cruisers here will reassure me that my ship won't capsize if there is bad weather.

We have cruised twice in August and will be going again this year. DW does not like pulling the kids from school. We have been lucky so far. We hope our luck holds up. From what I understand (and have read here) itineraries are adjusted to avoid the hurricane, so ports of call may change.

The chances of your particular cruise being affected by a hurricane is actually pretty small! Even if one is out there, the ship will avoid it like the plague!!! You may not get your expected itinerary, and seas may be rougher than normal, but it won't be a scene from the "Perfect Storm", or anything!

If this is the only time you have to cruise, then go, and have fun! You'll be ok!

We have just booked our third "peak week of hurricane season" cruise for mid-September. Honestly, we've had worse weather in March than we have in September.

Hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30th. It typically builds towards September, as hurricanes need warm water to build strength.

There is a risk of hurricanes, yes, but the Captain will not take a ship or its passengers into a storm. Not only do they not want to risk your lives, they don't want to risk that multimillion dollars ship!

If you cruise during hurricane season you have to expect that you may not get to the ports that are on your itinerary. If there is a storm, you'll head somewhere else. And if you don't have travel insurance you should consider it. There is always a slight risk that air travel can be affected.

We used to Always book our cruises in September. August-September is peak hurricane season and that is why the prices are so darn good :D A few years ago when there were all of those hurricanes in the Caribbean, they did change our itinerary from Eastern to Western, and a lot of people were mad but they will make sure the passengers are safe and avoid the storms. We even got stuck for two extra days so the storms would be out of our way when we headed back towards the port, so 9 day cruise for the price of a 7. ;)You do have to take your chances, but I would not worry about it.

I'm having second thoughts now after watching a few videos on youtube. :eek: I understand we can't predict the weather but I'm hoping some die hard cruisers here will reassure me that my ship won't capsize if there is bad weather.

First of all, ships can move (unlike land based hotels). If a storm is coming the ship will move to miss it.

Even if the ship gets into some rough seas, the ships are designed to be able to right themselves after being knocked 45 degrees off center.

When we planned our summer cruise in 2005 I was more concerned about a hurricane hitting the port city. We decided to fly in and out of San Juan instead of Houston or Miami and we are really fortunate that we did because Miami was hit on the Friday before we left and the storm got stronger and hit New Orleans on the Monday. Most likely things will be fine but be prepared for the unexpected and you will be fine.

Karysa

Hurricanes are normally confined to a relatively small area when considered in terms of the Cariibean as a whole. For example, when fierce and destructive Hurricane Andrew hit Miami in 1992, barely a bit of damage was felt in Palm Beach County an hour's drive north. We did have to board up as a precaution because no one ever knows for dead certain where a hurricane will go. But, in short, just because there is a hurricane, even a major hurricane in the Caribbean, you mean not feel any impact at all where you are.

That is the upside. The down side, is that you may feel some impact IF the hurricane or tropical storm is striking near your home port as you leave or as you return from your cruise. That did happen a few summers ago here in Florida.

The captain will do everything in his power to avoid danger (and to keep his job!) My guess is the probability is that the WORST you might experience should a tropical weather event occur during your cruise is heavy rain and a change of ports. That is an acceptable risk for me. In fact, that could happen on almost any cruise any time of the year.

We've mostly cruise during hurricane season. While you're itinerary may change to avoid a hurricane, you most likely won't feel any physical effects because the Captain will change course to avoid the storm.

Cruise with an open mind, we've been diverted 2-3 times over the years and have always enjoyed the new places we got to see because of the divirsions....

7 cruises, 6 during hurricane season, 3 of those had changes due to hurricanes. That said, we've never had terrible weather. In fact, I can't remember a full day that we didn't have sun! :D Some quick rain storms here and there, but that was it.

They will do everything in their power to keep you away from the storms.

I've cruised three times during hurricane season and only once was it an issue (no biggie). It was a Pacific hurricane and the Captain told us we would be moving really fast as we were swinging way out into the Pacific to avoid it, but we would be in Mazatlan right on time in the morning--and we were!

Worth taking the chance, I think, because of the lower prices.

Most of my cruises have been during Hurricane season. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would get insurance just in case. The worst thing that can happen is they will change your ports of call in order to avoid a hurricane. In my opinion any day on a ship is better than a day on land! :)

Archived