Do you go to Karaoke?

do you have to be over a certain age to go into the karaoke bar?? Just wondering if my son can join in, he will be 2 weeks away from being 18???

He won't be drinkin...just singin!

There is no age restriction to attend karaoke. As for singing, what I've seen in the past is that singing in karaoke is open to all ages when it starts, but some ships may have adult only (over 18) karaoke after 11PM, but all ages are still welcome to watch. Go with the flow. A lot depends on the crowd, the amount of singers, and the karaoke host. I don't think anyone would make an issue over 2 weeks shy of 18. What ship will you be going on?

Roy

Linda..do you have any idea what your next cruise will be after your Dream cruise?

I am trying to plan for either Feb. or March...

probably will look at the Triumph...

I will watch your signature and see if we can match up a cruise.

We will probably do the Triumph in early 2010 as well!!!!

do you have to be over a certain age to go into the karaoke bar?? Just wondering if my son can join in, he will be 2 weeks away from being 18???

He won't be drinkin...just singin!

On my recent Fascination cruise (5/21/09) a mother got up on stage with her two young sons who were elementary school age, I'm sure, and sang. Can't remember what song they sang but they were so sweet up there.

I never knew it was so popular. The last night was a packed house.

I need to address the issue of using your own CDGs....

in the past, that was no big deal....

But as with all things human...there are some folks who have made this harder for us.

On the Paradise in 2007, there was a continuing problem of people bringing violent, vulgar rap songs that they made themselves. So the Paradise stopped everyone from using their own CDGs.

Also there are others who have come onboard with bootleg CDGS and those who have "claimed" Carnival damaged their CDG and wanted reimbursement.

This has "floated" throughout the fleet. Some Karaoke Hosts will not let you use your own. Some will (but they use the "don't ask don't tell") policy. Some will and don't care who you tell.

I am blessed to have permission from Carnival Corp's Entertainment Director in Miami to use mine. I have it in writing and I take it with me on every cruise.

Last week, was the first time I had to use it. The Karaoke Host was new and "going by the book". So I asked her permission to talk to the CD about it. She was ok with that. (I did not want her to think I was going behind her back and over her head.) I showed the CD my "permission slip" and he approved me to use my CDGs.

I suggested to the CD that the karaoke hosts have a waiver for CDG users to sign that says:

1. These are mainstream songs.

2. These are not bootlegged. ( I bring my original cds with me even though I use a key altered cdg.) If you buy them in the store...they have the printed face on them. If I buy them from the Internet...I carry my receipts.

3. Carnival accepts no responsibility for any damage. If the Karaoke Host goes nuts and decides to eat my CDG for dinner.....I am responsible.

Hopefully the actions of a few idiots will not ruin it for the rest of us.

Using my CDGs is very important to me. Not that I am all that great of a singer....but mine are in the key I need them in and the arrangement I am use to.

So just be prepared that using your own CDGs is not a guaranteed thing anymore.

I like to go. It's great entertainment when done right. On one cruise (don't remember which, sorry), the staff person running it was a dud and took forever between songs so it wasn't very good. But if you have a good emcee it can be great. My only complaint is that it ends too early for me. I have late dining and usually only catch the last 1/2 hour or so.

We have late dining, and this is my 1st CCL cruise since my honeymoon in 1994. My friend and i are looking forward to doing on the Spirit in 2 wks. We have late dining, we will not be able to have enough time to enjoy this?

TIA!

I always try to do karaoke on board ship - and I usually bring my CDG's with me. If I can't use them, I can't use them - but I always bring them. Singing is my life - I sing with a championship barbershop chorus, however I don't get to karaoke as much as I used to. But it's always a stopping point for me on board. :)

I've been able to use my CDG's on all my cruises so far. The part about people singing vulgar songs so they won't allow using your own is crazy considering the cruise I was just on last weekend. They may have had to original song playing but the words were modified and lets just say no children should be there to hear it. Wow.

I've been able to use my CDG's on all my cruises so far. The part about people singing vulgar songs so they won't allow using your own is crazy considering the cruise I was just on last weekend. They may have had to original song playing but the words were modified and lets just say no children should be there to hear it. Wow.

I have always been able to use my CDGs for the past 30 cruises....until this one. Just letting folks know that you may have to get permission from the CD.

The Paradise incident wasn't just "normal vulgar" stuff. It was "homemade" rap about killing children etc. Just vile......

I hope you don't mind my resurrecting this old thread. By the way, PT3296...fabulous job! Weren't you nervous??

My husband and I haven't been to karaoke in years, so I was really looking foward to it on cruise. I was on the Norwegian Dawn, and really, it sucked. Strange selection and our own CDG's didn't show the lyrics, their versions had very incorrect lyrics (which is off-putting) and possibly incorrect keys, odd hours...one hour one day, one hour another day, three hours the third and that was it! The basic rules of engagement were not followed...

Okay, I sucked too, but that was lack of practice! :D

Is Carnival better for karaoke? What's the selection like? Do CDG's work? (It's like bringing your own pool cue...you better be good! Me, on the other hand, forgot an entire verse!!) :p

Karaoke on Carnival is FAR SUPERIOR to Karaoke on Norweigien. They usually have it once a night, and have it for an entire block of time. The selection is generally fantastic, and like others have said, generally not a problem using your own CDGs, though it can be.

I hope you don't mind my resurrecting this old thread. By the way, PT3296...fabulous job! Weren't you nervous??

My husband and I haven't been to karaoke in years, so I was really looking foward to it on cruise. I was on the Norwegian Dawn, and really, it sucked. Strange selection and our own CDG's didn't show the lyrics, their versions had very incorrect lyrics (which is off-putting) and possibly incorrect keys, odd hours...one hour one day, one hour another day, three hours the third and that was it! The basic rules of engagement were not followed...

Okay, I sucked too, but that was lack of practice! :D

Is Carnival better for karaoke? What's the selection like? Do CDG's work? (It's like bringing your own pool cue...you better be good! Me, on the other hand, forgot an entire verse!!) :p

Hope you have a great cruise.

Please see my post on page 3 about using your own CDGs.

There will be karaoke every night. They use a CAVS system (unless you are on the Imagination or the Splendor ~ and maybe the Inspiration~ those ships have the new Ethermedia digital system.)

Some hosts are better than others. My favorites are Melvin (currently on the Valor) Rozwin (soon to be on the Freedom in June) Kim A. (currently on the Spirit) and Aretha (currently in the Imagination) . Joey is also good but I am not sure which ship he is on right now.

These are the kinds of KH that get there early to make sure the system is set up properly and the lights are set. They don't just slide in 5 minutes before karaoke and "turn on the system".

The past few months...karaoke has been cut short on two nights if the comedians do their midnight routine in the small lounge and when they have some silly "color game". I am expressed my displeasure at this on my comment card. But you will have it every night.

They do have pitch control (key control) and most host know how to use it.

Be aware that every CAVS system may be one semi-tone high or low....but that is an easy adjustment. I know the Fantasy's system is one semi tone low and the Glory's system is one semi tone high.

See your Capers for time and location.

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised how much of a difference it makes to me.

My CDGs are original, by the way, and only for obscure stuff like Kate Bush and Diana Krall that very few people have. If Carnival has a decent selection, I won't need them at all.

Do people sing in the piano bar, too?

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised how much of a difference it makes to me.

My CDGs are original, by the way, and only for obscure stuff like Kate Bush and Diana Krall that very few people have. If Carnival has a decent selection, I won't need them at all.

Do people sing in the piano bar, too?

Everyone sings "along" in the piano bar. Some piano bar entertainers have an extra mic...some do not...it is up to the entertainer.

Archived